Voile Objective BC Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
MikeK

Re: Voile Objective BC Ski Review

Post by MikeK » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:25 am

Woodserson wrote:
MikeK wrote: I'm already concerned for the future of the KOM - it had my interest last year, but now... not even on my radar.
Even a KOM in a 174?
Yeah - too heavy. Like 7 lbs in that length.

If I'm going to buy a modern ski with rocker, I think this might be the one. I don't have money and I have 3 kids on the way, so I'll lay low and see what everyone is saying... maybe next year? I am excited about it though :mrgreen:

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am

MikeK wrote:
Woodserson wrote:
MikeK wrote: I'm already concerned for the future of the KOM - it had my interest last year, but now... not even on my radar.
Even a KOM in a 174?

If I'm going to buy a modern ski with rocker, I think this might be the one. I don't have money and I have 3 kids on the way, so I'll lay low and see what everyone is saying... maybe next year? I am excited about it though :mrgreen:
Wait what? Three what?

I think the Objective is a perfect Catamount Trail ski. Excited.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:32 am

MikeK wrote:If I'm going to buy a modern ski with rocker, I think this might be the one. I don't have money and I have 3 kids on the way, so I'll lay low and see what everyone is saying... maybe next year? I am excited about it though
I think you should by them now as it may be your last new gear purchase until they are out of college :cry:

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 pm

No, no... I'll just wait. I have plenty of fun skis now and I'll have even less time to ski and less time to actually go to the mountains. At some point, someone will decide these aren't the coolest skis for them, and I'll buy them for a couple hundred with a few holes in them.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:42 pm

MikeK wrote:
Woodserson wrote:
Even a KOM in a 174?

Not sure why one would compare the Kom and the Objective in the same class of ski?

I have no actual experience with either ski- but the Kom seems more in the league of the Vector BC/Rossi BC125/ Fischer S-125...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:44 pm

LJ- so you are going to put NNNBC on the Objective?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:51 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Not sure why one would compare the Kom and the Objective in the same class of ski?

I have no actual experience with either ski- but the Kom seems more in the league of the Vector BC/Rossi BC125/ Fischer S-125...
You are right, they are definitely more comparable. But if you have enough flotation with this ski, I'm not sure why you'd even consider the others*.

*Voile does say it may not be the ultimate powder ski... but they would, they sell tons of fat boards. And for Heli skiing in Alaska, it probably isn't the right ski.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:32 pm

NNN or nothing! NNN or die! :lol:

Seriously, plain pins would not offer the amount of power I like for a ski like that... For me, NNNBC is the natural choice for driving a fatty like that... From a downhill perspective of course...

While it might not be the ultimate powder ski for alpine or telemark skiers, I do believe it's the best ski ever in the whole history of XCD skiing. It's very nice to be a XCD skier in 2016... Probably the best time for a XCD skier since the beginning of time...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:35 pm

You rock LJ.

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I may have to leave this forum. I just got my first XCD skis (S98), haven't even mounted the bindings yest, and this thread is giving me major GAS (gear acquisition syndrome).