Fischer S Bound 125

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
MikeK

Fischer S Bound 125

Post by MikeK » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:05 pm

Just adding this for any discussion relevant to this ski - rongon, perhaps you can fill us in with more detail later in the season?
lilcliffy wrote: Your description of the S-125- in the other thread- suggests it is a fatter version of the S-112/S-98- I hadn't expected that...
This is almost exactly what I thought. From all my various accounts with people with the 112, it seemed it was just the 98 with a wider waist. And when Fischer threw the 125 in the line, based on appearance and the 112, I though they had simply just stretched the 112 a bit more.

It seems consistent with the S78/88 line. Essentially the same ski but with different waists.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Fischer S Bound 125

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Good move Mike- hopefully we will get some good info!

Based on Rongon's description of the camber/flex pattern of the S-125, I am very intrigued as to how it would ski...A stiff, cambered xcountry ski with that width and geometry? Either XCD genius or a bit like bull riding....

I wonder if it has a true rockered tip- or if it has the "Nordic rocker"...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Nordic rocker, I looked at a pair of 185cm in a shop.

Somewhat stiff, but didn't have the others next to it to compare, could have been softer.

I'm considering a pair, just wondering if I want to go short, 175, or 185... tough call. Cheaper than the Koms and not made in China.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Well surely it is at least slightly softer than the narrower S-Bounds? :?

I almost bought a pair myself this summer...they were on clearance at Mountaingear in the spring, and GearX during the summer.

The Kom is made in Quebec.

Which binding would you put on the S-125?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:31 pm

If the KOM is made in Quebec they make no mention of that on their website. The only "made in" info I could find was in the FAQ and it was about the HOK being made in China in some special factory. This is a major selling point for a lot of people and an immediate turn-off for me. Now, I'm back to being interested in the KOM.

Yes, softer than the others but I just didn't have the time or the reference to make a good call on the Fischer 125s. I almost want to keep the fleet the same throughout so I'm partial to the Fischers.

I have a pair of Voile Hardwires kicking around I'd throw on them.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:45 am

Yup - KOM is made in Quebec. I saw reference to it on their blog I think... I cannot find the article now.

Personally, I'd opt for the KOM over the S Bound 125. Love the S Bounds, but to me, the 125 seems like an afterthought. The KOM is more of a clean sheet design.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:37 am

Post that mentions the Kom being made in Quebec:
http://altaiskis.com/2016/09/26/fall-kom-ski-update/#
One would think that would be more consistety advertised...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:01 am

Woodserson wrote: Yes, softer than the others but I just didn't have the time or the reference to make a good call on the Fischer 125s. I almost want to keep the fleet the same throughout so I'm partial to the Fischers.

I have a pair of Voile Hardwires kicking around I'd throw on them.
There are certainly many good reasons to be partial to the S-Bounds- especially if one needs to complete their collection- I too would find that hard to resist!

You will have to try to squeeze the S-112 in there as well! :D

That 3-pin hardwire is an amazing binding...I am so out of touch with modern Tele-tech that for years I assumed that the "cables" on the hardwire were not removable! Despite the extra cash, it has replaced the 3 pin-cable in my mind- especially for a ski as wide as the S-125. The fact that you can remove the cables makes it a truefully xcountry-downhill binding to me. Thank you Voile!!!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 am

Agreed, great binding. Good thinking on their part. It answers so many demands across the board.

What do you think? 175 or 185? I was waiting for the KOM to come out in the 174, which it now has, but when I up against them they just seem too short. If I'm going to use them in deep stuff, I would want the 185 (ideally a 180). I'm having a tough time weighing quick-turny awesome vs nice flotation for those lower-angle slower slopes...

On a side, I don't personally have the 112, but let's just say I have a pair available to me on demand... Frankly, there's too much overlap between the 78, 88, 98, 112... I'm drowning in Fischers over here...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:45 am

You should have plenty of float with a KOM even at 174. It's all about the width!

I calc'd it out once, they have a ton of area, I think more than any other XCD ski even at 185 or 195. The turniness should come from the short effective length (short + rocker).

The only disadvantage in my mind is the weight, and if you are using it with a T4, then it shouldn't be an issue.