Asnes Mohair Short Skin 35mm SkinLock Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Asnes Mohair Short Skin 35mm SkinLock Review

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:15 am

I've been a lot into tantric Buddhism and Hinduism lately. Meditation, Pranayama, Kundalini and all that stuff. It's great for focusing, concentration and remembering past lives. I still have a lot to learn, I still can't remember the first time I ever skied, I was 18 months. But I do recall my very first pair of skis. I also remember asking my dad what was that strip of "Fur" glued under my skis. He said that was to prevent me from skiing backwards.

The concept of short skins isn't new, it has been here for ages. Several other XC manufacturers have similar products. What is new about the new Asnes short skins is that they are integrated into the ski, removable, and these ones are made of mohair. Plus, it's probably the skinniest skins you can find on the market. The Asnes Short Skins are produced by the renowned skin manufacturer Coll-Tex in Switzerland. The skin is made of 100% Mohair for optimal speed and grip. Mohair skins have a somewhat better glide than Nylon and mixed skins, however, a slightly less durability.
Asnes 35mm Mohair Skins on Skogs.jpg
The nice folks at Asnes in Norway were cool enough to send me a pair for review. I was super excited about it.
But my first worry was the metal attachment piece, which goes under the ski. While Fischer's EasySkin system has a seamless attachment under the ski, the Asnes system does have a metal plate, flat on the P-Tex. Well, it turned out that this is not an issue at all. Honestly, I could not feel any drag or friction from the plate on snow. Even on groomed tracks, I doubt anyone could actually feel that there is a plate there. The position of the plate must have been calculated accordingly on all Asnes skis.

They perform exactly as expected. They offer a lot of traction despite their narrow width. For climbing, they didn't seem to offer a lot more more traction than a waxless ski. And even they are made of mohair, I could definitely feel the drag (and the sound) on the descent. But I think where they really shine, and the main purpose of this product is actually for kick and glide. For XC skiing of the flats, they are very efficient. They offer better traction than wax in any kind of condition. I skied them in 2 feet of powder, on hardpack and on very icy ski tracks. They give you the grip you need, no matter the weather or the snow temperature. Kicking and gliding on ice was a new experience to me...! I couldn't feel the drag while releasing the camber and gliding. Well, a XC racing guy would probably notice the difference, but for me and recreational purposes, I could not feel any disadvantage over wax. Only better kick! But I have to admit I am a slow XC skier.

For better glide, Asnes recommend to impregnate the skin with silicon, which I will try later in the season. I'm very, very happy with the skins. It's a perfect addition for people looking for more traction or when carrying heavy loads. It's also perfect for those who do not want to play with wax. For me, I think the 35mm Mohair Skins will stay on my skis permanently.

Unfortunately, the 35mm mohairs don't seem to be available in North America yet. Maybe the best thing to do is to ask for them at your local store or distributor so they can start carrying them in the near future.
Asnes Short Skin Lock Mohair.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Re: Asnes Mohair Short Skin 35mm SkinLock Review

Post by MikeK » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:05 pm

See - I knew I wanted a pair!

Are they available in the US yet?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:09 pm

I have not been able to find the 35mm skin-locks in NA...

BTW- I priced out the 35mm skin-lock out to the end of the online shopping procedure at SportAlbert (https://www.sportalbert.de/hitlist.aspx ... nction=Any). They seem to want to charge 30euros PER item for shipping to Canada...Seems a bit nuts to me...Doesn't appear to be any advantage to going in on a group order...

However, even with the shipping, the 35mm skin-locks work out to about the same price as a 35mm easy-skin at retail price in Canada.

The strength of the US dollar might make them cheaper shipped from Europe than buying in the US...
Last edited by lilcliffy on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Thanks for the review LJ!

Excellent and helpful observations on their performance. (I am assuming that you tested these on your Cecilie BC- same dimensions as the Nansen?)

So- with a 56mm waist- the 35mm skin climbs about the same as a waxless scale base...So perhaps the primary advantage is grip on icy and/or refrozen snow?

If the 35mm kicker skin- on the 56mm width- doesn't climb any better than waxless scales, then it won't offer better traction when pulling a load either...

I agree- equal width- a skin offers better grip than grip-wax. But, if the snow and grip wax are properly matched, grip-wax will outclimb waxless scales- at least in my experience...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks for the review LJ!

Excellent and helpful observations on their performance. (I am assuming that you tested these on your Cecilie BC- same dimensions as the Nansen?)

So- with a 56mm waist- the 35mm skin climbs about the same as a waxless scale base...So perhaps the primary advantage is grip on icy and/or refrozen snow?

If the 35mm kicker skin- on the 56mm width- doesn't climb any better than waxless scales, then it won't offer better traction when pulling a load either...

I agree- equal width- a skin offers better grip than grip-wax. But, if the snow and grip wax are properly matched, grip-wax will outclimb waxless scales- at least in my experience...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:30 pm

LoveJohnny wrote: For me, I think the 35mm Mohair Skins will stay on my skis permanently.
You wouldn't take off the skins off on the downhill?

Would be interesting for you to compare the climbing performance of the 45mm vs. 35mm on the 56mm ski...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:31 pm

LoveJohnny wrote: But my first worry was the metal attachment piece, which goes under the ski. While Fischer's EasySkin system has a seamless attachment under the ski, the Asnes system does have a metal plate, flat on the P-Tex. Well, it turned out that this is not an issue at all. Honestly, I could not feel any drag or friction from the plate on snow. Even on groomed tracks, I doubt anyone could actually feel that there is a plate there.
This is VERY good news!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Not enough Asnes on this continent.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:15 pm

Yep, they were on the Cecilies...
lilcliffy wrote:If the 35mm kicker skin- on the 56mm width- doesn't climb any better than waxless scales, then it won't offer better traction when pulling a load either...
Humm... That is interesting... And not false... It really felt to me that I had A LOT more grip than wax or waxless on the flats, but not much more on the ascent... There must be a scientific explanation, but I don't care about science anymore... 8-)
Oh they sure don't replace wax if you are a Wax Master... I just never been very fond of wax, even tough the wife always was really into it. I decided that with the Skogs, I would only stick to one wax color, so I don't have to play with wax much. I really hate having my hands full of sticky stuff, I can't stand that. But by doing so, I found that I don't seem to use them much, I go for waxless 95% of the time...

Not sure if I would like wider skins... 35mm seems perfect for any ski... But I have to say I only weight like 160lbs... Still not sure how the SkinLock Skogs will be used for the future... I have 49 other pairs of skis I can use... But they are not Asnes skis... :lol:

But yeah, right now I think I'll leave the skins on and use the skis as a recreational XC ski... Or remove the skins for downhill action. Or remove the skins and use them as a skating ski for frozen lakes and golf course... I dunno... We'll see... One thing is sure, the 35mm skins are a very cool addition to any quiver...! (And they prevent you from skiing backwards... ; )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:51 pm

Skiing backwards is the worst! All hail the "fur"!