- XCD KNIGHT
- Posts: 2190
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
- Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada
- Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
- Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon
- Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska; Scarpa T4
- Occupation: Forestry Professional
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger
They perform best on relatively shallow soft snow over a dense, stable base- in these conditions the E109 is a fabulous XC ski for hilly/mountainous terrain- offering excellent XC performance, and frankly quite amazing downhill performance, with those rockered tips.
It is so unstable in truly deep, soft snow to be almost useless- hard to believe, but the narrower E99 is actually better in deep soft snow!
At this width, even the Fischer's aggressive Off-Track Crown scales offer limited traction- prepare to need skins for any serious backcountry skiing with this ski- unless you are on ideal warm, wet snow.
The addition of the Easy-Skin would be a great upgrade- but I guess there is the Traverse 78- but it does not come in lengths over 190cm...
The waxable E-109 Tour Easy-Skin is a better ski than this one.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.