2015 Åsnes Combat NATO

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

Re: 2015 Åsnes Combat NATO

Postby lilcliffy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 am

Wel,l I am increasingly convinced that this is a deep snow, distance-oriented ski.

The XC and climbing performance of this ski in deep soft snow is truly amazing for such a narrow ski. The combination of low profile, but resistant camber underfoot; full-length, stable flex; and kick-ass trail-breaking tip; make this ski a deep snow mile-crushing machine.

(They have now replaced my 195cm Annums for distance-oriented tours in very deep snow.)

These skis offer wonderful, open, wide-radius turns- if you have the room.

If you need to downhill ski tight lines- these skis are so wonderfully light, that they can easily be forced into step/jump and striding turns- even with light soft BC-XC touring boots (I am currently skiing on these with Alpina Alaska BC boots).

If you want to be able to completely overpower or drive this ski in downhill turns- you need Telemark boots and bindings (surprise :shock: ;) ).

These skis do not have the round flex of a downhill/Telemark ski- they have the flex of a XC ski- that is finely tuned for deep, soft snow, and climbing steep terrain.

They are acceptable- if not high-performance- XC skis on dense, compacted trails. They are not as fast on dense snow as truly double-cambered skis like the E-99/Glittertind. ( I now have a pretty clean broken out tracks on my backwoods trail loops (5-15kms)- I took the 210cm E99 Tour out late yesterday afternoon and absolutely crushed about 10kms- significantly faster than the Combat Nato on a dense, stable base.)

They are much faster XC skis than very soft distance-oriented skis like the Madshus Eon- and of course, not only faster than, but also track straighter than wider, more curvy hybrid skis (e.g. Epoch/S-98/Annum/S-112). All of these hybrid skis greatly sacrifice XC performance for moderate downhill performance.

If you want a BC distance-oriented Nordic touring ski- and you need/want to cruise in deep, soft snow- the Combat Nato in a traditional full XC length.

BTW- Asnes has redesigned the Ingstad- review and discussion already started elsewhere on this site- they are continuing to make the Combat Nato. Good stuff.
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

Return to “Community Ski Reviews”