Rottefella NTN Fdm, Scarpa Terminator TX Pro, Rossignol SC97

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
TeleKräusen

Rottefella NTN Fdm, Scarpa Terminator TX Pro, Rossignol SC97

Post by TeleKräusen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:21 am

I had my first day on NTNs this week. I'm not sure my first impressions are the same as other skier's because my first time in these were in deep powder(the first impressions must be great, right?) Nevertheless, here goes my review of the three items.

It's also worth mentioning my background a bit. I'm a 150lb male standing at 5'9" who has skiied only with T2s and softer flexing skis. I'm a previous alpine skier. So my experience with this setup is relatively exclusive to me, It's worth taking this with a grain of salt. Additionally, these products are new to me all at once, so my perception of one piece of gear will be associated with the gear paired with it.

NTN Freedom
I'd be lying if i said they didn't feel different. The activity is present through the whole flexing of the binding. For me, this meant that I had to be intentional about weighting my back ski. Consequently, this meant that i had to make sure I wasn't losing balance by shifting my weight back and forth. They did feel a bit robotic in the beginning, and I think the immediate activity might have something to do with that. This may also be why I've heard people say that they are easier to do parallels in(but who wants to do those anyway?). By the end of the day i adjusted to them by moving more deliberately, that is when I started to see the merit in them.
One thing i did like about these bindings were that they did have power. Even though i got stuck with the soft powertubes, they moved my heavy Rossis when i told them to. I have not decided whether or not they are the most precise binding(they certainly are precise and have great edge control), there are a lot of binding out there.
I'm not sure yet if these will be great for touring as well. My Axles, heavy they are, are always reliable and i really dig the free pivot mode on them. I think the freedoms free pivot mode is natural too, and If I'm not mistaken, they're lighter than the axles(plastic), but time will tell.
As of now, the NTNs are my official resort bindings. There are many reasons for that. They have breaks which are simply convenient. They are releasable, which is not crucial for me personally, but it's cool. Finally, these binding are powerful, which is what I like when my focus is to challenge myself for some good laps on the lift days.

Bottom line: I am embracing the NTNs. They, like many bindings, have a place for the telemark skier. Recommend them.

Terminator TX Pros
I really have no complaints about this boot. All of the potential issues I'm facing will either be adjusted to, or will disappear.
First off they are only a little heavier than my T2s (great boots), and for being stiffer, they are very comfortable as well.
Oddly enough, I had a bit of pinch in my foot right on the top of the bellow once they were flexed. Only my left foot experienced this. Anyway, I'm convinced this problem will go away as they break in.
They perform well. I can really feel my ski edge some through these boots. They are more stable that the T2s, that's for sure. I don't think I'll be needing a stiffer boot and i like to challenge myself.
I think the ability to plug up to a TTS is something i might do. :D

Bottom line: There is a reason they sell so well. They are great, as long as they fit you and have you're preferred flex.

Rossignol SC97
These are in 170cm. They have two sheets of titanium in them and you can tell. They are heavy.
But, there is a reason for this. They hold a grip like no other ski i've skied. As long as you ski them hard, they will not fail you.
The thing is they won't forgive you if you don't ski them hard, they're stiff.
If you have a nice rhythm, they are great in the powder. 97mm underfoot is honestly enough.
Not sure I'd tour with them.

Bottom line: When the handler is on his game, there is no ski more stable and fun.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Rottefella NTN Fdm, Scarpa Terminator TX Pro, Rossignol

Post by Johnny » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:36 am

Hey, thanks for this great review TeleKrausen!

Glad you liked NTN... It's one of the best setup for carving the groomers...!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

TeleKräusen

Post by TeleKräusen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Oh thanks,
now that I've had more time on them I've realized that you can really lay the edge over hard.

I'm still not perfect at flattening my toe on that back foot with these yet, but the were definitely 100% worth the buy.

T

PatNTN

Post by PatNTN » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:57 pm

You guys talk about how NTN is better at carving on groomers and that's pretty much it...

I want to switch to NTN and I'm curious to know what you think about NTN vs 75mm in other skiing conditions: powder, moguls, spring skiing, jibing and jumping in the park..?

Thanks!

Pat

Dongshow

Post by Dongshow » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:10 pm

Pat, I think NTN is great for all types of skiing, I don't know about jibbing and jumping. I think the Freedom skis better than the Freeride and I think the Freedom may eventually supplant the Freeride in Rottefella's NTN line. The boots are the most comfortable tele boots I've tried.

If you're used to really active bindings like HH/Axl/Vice it might take just a bit to adjust to NTN. They have great lateral control but they won't bend the boot for you. Everyone I know that was using G3s, BD O1/O2 or HH on setting 3 or less had no trouble jumping on NTNs and having a great time right away.