Asnes Nansen Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
HBS

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Re: Asnes Nansen Review

Postby HBS » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:58 am

MikeK wrote:Oh - I didn't mean to insinuate that you are beginner, but just that I like the way he outlines basic/intermediate/advanced.

Advanced is where most people have to work a bit harder with XCD.


Oh no problem - I shouldn't have taken it that way. I'll probably wait to work on that stuff until the next decent powder day at the local ski hill.

lilcliffy wrote:Thanks for the excellent video regarding the Nordic rocker on the Nansen- Asnes needs to promote that!

I was also wondering what the Nansen feels like- and looks like- when you attempt to reverse-flex the entire length of a single ski.

UTE's flex test describes the Nansen- or at least the model they tested- having a full-length, round reverse-flex. For comparison, they describe the Ingstad as having a more pronounced wax pocket underfoot- I can personally testify to that.

The reason I ask is that I tend to be suspicious of narrow XCD skis with this much sidecut. If one weighs anything- I weigh 185lbs without a pack (I cannot believe how many featherweight skiers there are out there)- a ski like the Nansen needs a lot of integrated flex and resistance in order to support that narrow waist. A soft, round flex on a narrow ski might be fine in a downhill turn- but it really sucks in a XC context if one is too heavy...

I am greatly interested in the Nansen as a xcD ski- but, only if it is strong enough for that skinny waist to support my weight and a powerful kick...


I can try and shoot a video with the help of the lady friend sometime reverse flexing the ski but could you describe the procedure? The other night I was holding the tail still with my foot, ski vertical, one hand on the tip and the other hand pulling the binding toward me with the snow side facing away from me. Is that right?

FWIW I weigh about 170-180 and carry a 10-15 lb pack for day ski trips and it has been plenty strong for me. Like I said earlier, excellent kick, glide and grip. I do find that in softer snow when I kick I end up compressing the track more than the lighter skiers on skinnier tip width skis ahead of me.

User avatar
Woodserson

Rank: XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Asnes Nansen Review

Postby Woodserson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:03 pm

HBS wrote:FWIW I weigh about 170-180 and carry a 10-15 lb pack for day ski trips and it has been plenty strong for me. Like I said earlier, excellent kick, glide and grip. I do find that in softer snow when I kick I end up compressing the track more than the lighter skiers on skinnier tip width skis ahead of me.


What length did you get?

Great review, thank you

HBS

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Re: Asnes Nansen Review

Postby HBS » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:21 pm

200 cm - sorry should have said that earlier.

User avatar
lilcliffy

Rank: XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Posts: 1305
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Asnes Nansen Review

Postby lilcliffy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:59 pm

HBS wrote:I can try and shoot a video with the help of the lady friend sometime reverse flexing the ski but could you describe the procedure? The other night I was holding the tail still with my foot, ski vertical, one hand on the tip and the other hand pulling the binding toward me with the snow side facing away from me. Is that right?

The simplest technique that I know of is to place the tail of the ski firmly on the floor/ground; hold the tip with one hand- base facing away from you; then push down on the mid-section of the ski- and, simply "feel"/observe the stiffness and shape of the reverse-flex of the ski. A ski with a pronounced wax pocket will resist being reverse-flexed in the midsection. A ski with a significantly softer tip and/or tail will be obvious as well.

The dude from ORS in this video demonstrates this simple qualitative measure at 0:46:


FWIW I weigh about 170-180 and carry a 10-15 lb pack for day ski trips and it has been plenty strong for me. Like I said earlier, excellent kick, glide and grip.

If you are on the 200cm and getting enough resistance and support- that says a lot. I want one...


I do find that in softer snow when I kick I end up compressing the track more than the lighter skiers on skinnier tip width skis ahead of me.

Not sure if I understand you here...
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

HBS

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Re: Asnes Nansen Review

Postby HBS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
HBS wrote:I can try and shoot a video with the help of the lady friend sometime reverse flexing the ski but could you describe the procedure? The other night I was holding the tail still with my foot, ski vertical, one hand on the tip and the other hand pulling the binding toward me with the snow side facing away from me. Is that right?

The simplest technique that I know of is to place the tail of the ski firmly on the floor/ground; hold the tip with one hand- base facing away from you; then push down on the mid-section of the ski- and, simply "feel"/observe the stiffness and shape of the reverse-flex of the ski. A ski with a pronounced wax pocket will resist being reverse-flexed in the midsection. A ski with a significantly softer tip and/or tail will be obvious as well.



Ok so I think my initial test was what you were looking for - most of the flex on the tip end comes in the top 1/4 of the ski but the tail seems to flex more consistently to the middle of the ski. There's a pronounced thickening of the core at about where Mr. Nansens neck is near the tip that creates this where the core nearing the tail tapers more gradually.

lilcliffy wrote:
HBS wrote:Not sure if I understand you here...


Just that if the tracks are fresh/soft I do feel the middle of the ski sinking a bit when shifting my weight to the new ski.


Return to “Community Ski Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests