Alico Ski March Boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
BigJohnS

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Post by BigJohnS » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:26 pm

Hey so I know this is an old thread but I wanted to see if I could get any input on my sizing situation with these boots. So with regular shoes I wear a size 11 US but with my alpine ski boots I wear a 27.5 mondo and I also ski with a pair of Fischer BCX Transnordics that are a 43 euro. When I measure my foot using the trace on paper and measure method I measure to be a size 11 or 11.5 US but when I got my ski boots and my foot was measured on a Brannock device I was recommended a size 27.5 for performance or 28 for comfort.

So depending on the situation I wear from a size 9 US to a size 11 US which seems like a pretty large range to me. On ebay there are some Ski March boots in a size 8 UK which should be comparable to my size 43 euro Transnordics, right?
Sorry that this may be really confusing but I wanted to see if anybody had any insight into whether or not a size 8 UK of these boots might fit me.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:36 am

Hi,
No- an 8UK is a 42EU in terms of footed length.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:36 am

@BigJohnS
Personally- I would normally consider a 43EU to be equivalent to a size 10M-US (9UK)- in terms of length...

Do you have a wide and/or large-volume foot? Perhaps that it why you might need a size 11US in some footwear?

The Ski March boot is available in a range of widths-
so, if you could get a size 9UK, in a wide last- it might fit perfectly...

I have the 8UK in a wide last- and it is just too large inside for it to work for me.
The length of the last is a performance fit in terms of length- but I would need a medium-width last.
Last edited by lilcliffy on Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

BigJohnS

Post by BigJohnS » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:39 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:36 am
@BigJohnS
Personally- I would normally consider a 43EU to be equivalent to a size 10M-US (9UK)- in terms of length...

Do you have a wide and/or large-volume foot? Perhaps that it why you might need a size 11US in some footwear?

The Ski March boot is avaialable in a range of widths-

I have the 8UK in a wide last- and it is just too large inside for it to work for me.
The lenghth of the last is a performance fit in terms of length- but I would need to medium width last.
I always thought a 43EU was about equal to a 9 US which would be an 8 UK. A 9 UK would probably be the best fit I was just wondering if maybe an 8 would work because its the closest I could find.

My foot is pretty low volume and my ankle, lower leg, and heels are pretty narrow. The front of my foot is average width but my foot pronates quite a bit when I'm standing and widens to a fairly wide width. Because of this I use a footbed with arch support in my ski boots. With my plastic alpine boots I use a low volume boot with the toe box widened a bit with heat molding. On some size 11US footwear my toes come close or reach the end on others its a bit longer.

flapped
Ski style: Anything and everything

Post by flapped » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:03 am

BigJohnS wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:39 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:36 am
@BigJohnS

The Ski March boot is avaialable in a range of widths-

The lenghth of the last is a performance fit in terms of length- but I would need to medium width last.
I always thought a 43EU was about equal to a 9 US which would be an 8 UK. A 9 UK would probably be the best fit I was just wondering if maybe an 8 would work because its the closest I could find.

My foot is pretty low volume and my ankle, lower leg, and heels are pretty narrow. The front of my foot is average width but my foot pronates quite a bit when I'm standing and widens to a fairly wide width. Because of this I use a footbed with arch support in my ski boots. With my plastic alpine boots I use a low volume boot with the toe box widened a bit with heat molding. On some size 11US footwear my toes come close or reach the end on others its a bit longer.
I have the older Ski March often available on eBay in size 8UK. The tag on it says "8UK, 42EU", and it fits very nicely with a thin sock and a medium sports sock on top of that. I usually use size 41-42EU shoes, and my measured foot size is 26,5cm. I guess I have a slightly wider foot than global average, as is common around here. I think my Ski March is the normal width version, as there isn't the "W" marking anywhere to be found.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:54 pm

I have a 9 UK, my son used once for a few miles.

Aj2022

Post by Aj2022 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:13 am

From reading the positive reviews here, I ordered this boot to be a middle option between a pair of skate cuff boots and 3 buckle plastic boots. This so far is a great solution. Out of the box these are a bit too stiff for xc use for me, so I plan to tele with them until they break in further. I have been wearing them with plastic bags over my socks to reduce abrasion, to protect from blisters and wear to the boot's liner. It seems to work well. These boots were enjoyable to ski downhill 'green' level trails with both sbound skis and alpine skis mounted 75mm. Surprisingly they didn't feel improper on the alpine skis, which are 80 waist, though that setup has a hardwire binding that I expect helped. This was at low speed, on gentile terrain, hardpack conditions. Overall, a great boot that I plan to use to improve tele technique and keep the green trails a challenge, and eventually use for xc too. I wear a 27.5 plastic boot and the UK 9M fits me well.