Alico Ski March Boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
HBS

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Post by HBS » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:23 pm

woodchuck wrote:After reading these reviews, how could I *not* buy a $65 raffle ticket?

Unfortunately... the darned things don't fit. UK size 11 wide. They fit like a roomy US 12.
PM me if interested (I'm in NH).
Can anyone else comment on fit? I'm a 29.5 mondo or 45 euro or 11.5 US with a very wide forefoot. The madshus glittertind 45 boot is near perfect but could be a touch wider.

Contemplating a Falk 62 voile hardwire ski march setup...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Hello HBS, I wear a US size 11. I do not have a wide foot. I ordered the Ski March size 10 British. I was very concerned when it arrived size 10 W. The boot came with a nice quality wool insole, maybe 3/16" thick. It has taken up the volume nicely. While you foot needs to fit in the boot, and like all boots you need clearance between your toes and the end of the boot, the boot can't have too much volume or it can pinch.
I don't know if that helped, if not please feel free to ask for better detail.
As far as a FT 62, I personally believe a 3 pin cable is plenty matched with the Ski March. You may want to wait until Lilcliffy posts his review of the Storetind. The FT 68 has taken over for the Storetind. I believe that ski matches nicely with the Hardwire binding. I think Lilcliffy has been able to get a few miles touring in on the Storetind. I have spent a few resort days on the FT 62, and have been able to kick around with them also. I like them. I just want to spend more time on them before I say more. Lilcliffy lives in better snow country than me, I would imagine he will have a chance to put the Storetind ithrough it's paces to a greater degree than I have the FT 62. I am expecting a very good review.
I called Neptune before I purchased from Sport Albert, do they have a FT 62 now? Regardless, I would be happy to tell you anything about mine. I would advise you wait for Lilcliffy's review before you pull the trigger.

HBS

Post by HBS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks fisheater - I live down the street and last time I stopped by there were several pairs of 62s i believe but wasnt aware if the 68s existence so i may have confused them. The trails here are tight and there are slim pickings for open trees or meadows to get turns in so all my skiing is on trails or unplowed roads. So Im leaning towards the 62s. Have you done any trail breaking with them? My nansens struggle to keep tips up above more than 6 or 8 inches of new snow.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 pm

My ski time lately has been at the ski hill as my son is much more interested in going down hill. There is a "backcountry ski area" skiers right from the piste. It has a slight uphill traverse back to the lift. There was a surprising 12" or so of fresh the last time we were there. The FT 62 was a dream going down in the powder. It was wonderful breaking trail. I didn't necessarily need to break trail, but I wanted to try the ski out and was very pleased. The tips came up and broke trail and the ski was solid underfoot. This ski is tuned towards soft snow. The previous day, there was about 4" of fresh on the side of the trail. On the hard pack the wax pocket had a little drag, and the ski had a little walk. Much, much more pleasant than my S-112. On the 4" of fresh the ski comes alive. The tip planes, and the ski seems to ride on the heel a bit. The ski is at home on softer snow. The FT 62 is more trail oriented than the FT 68 (my belief and also from Asnes), I thought when you said you wanted to mount Hardwires you were thinking Colorado downhills. The weakness of the FT 62 is that it is light, and all that rocker reduces effective edge, it just is not a great ice ski. To me it's a match for the Ski March boot and the 3-pin cable. If the terrain or conditions are a bit much for the boot and binding, than it is a bit tough for the ski. That would go for both hard refrozen resort snow, as well as 12" of chopped up at the resort. That being said, it is just the challenge I enjoy on my lower vertical Michigan ski hills. I am very happy so far with this rig.

HBS

Post by HBS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for the update! The 62 sounds pretty perfect - my Nansens are great for say <6" of new snow or on packed to icy trails.

The trend here in winter is anything over ~25-30 degrees is too avalanche prone until the corn harvest begins in mid-late April. We have the weakest snow pack in the country from deep persistent slabs that break 3-5+ feet to ground surface when they break. Trailhead access in winter is also tough unless you want to brave the resort traffic on weekends. So all winter long I have to slog around in giant AT boots to get 3-5 miles in before there's anything open enough, low angle and holding snow to get turns in. The 62 would be a lot more efficient on the way in but a lot more challenging at my ski level to get actual turns in but that would be the fun part! Fixed heel skiing is too easy!

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:35 pm

I have a pair of Alico's from, probably, the late 90's. Look to be about the same height as the Ski March, no rubber rand though, and no nylon ankle cuff... all leather.
They break in quite nicely, takes some miles and some patience. Quality is as good as any leather boot out there; Alico's, Crispi's, the old Merrell's, all come from the same village in Italy.
They're more supportive than my Alaska's, even with the lower ankle, and they tour fine once broken in.

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Well, I couldn't resist the cheerleading here, so I ordered a pair from the British army surplus outfit recommended by fisheater. They are due to arrive very soon. Ordered down a size, so hoping they fit.

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Any idea if these are unisex? (my wife is switching from NNN-BC to 3-pins)

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Hrishi, before gambling on the fit of mail-order boots maybe consider checking out used equipment at consignment stores before you leave Colorado. More tele gear here than elsewhere. Boulder and Denver must have some treasures, but I never get around to checking there. I've found some great equipment in Winter Park at the " Rocky Mtn. Trading Post" (I think that's their name) on the main drag. Even better finds at "Boomerang" in Steamboat Springs. Leathers usually sell cheap as do plastic Garmonts, Scarpa T1's, and others. That stuff might be exciting for a few of us here, but much of it gathers dust in consignment stores and peoples' basements. Good luck!

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:08 pm

martin2007 wrote:Hrishi, before gambling on the fit of mail-order boots maybe consider checking out used equipment at consignment stores before you leave Colorado. More tele gear here than elsewhere. Boulder and Denver must have some treasures, but I never get around to checking there. I've found some great equipment in Winter Park at the " Rocky Mtn. Trading Post" (I think that's their name) on the main drag. Even better finds at "Boomerang" in Steamboat Springs. Leathers usually sell cheap as do plastic Garmonts, Scarpa T1's, and others. That stuff might be exciting for a few of us here, but much of it gathers dust in consignment stores and peoples' basements. Good luck!
Thanks, Martin2007. We have explored Boulder- Denver stores quite a bit, but didn't think of exploring stores outside of these cities. Cool tip about places in Steamboat Springs and Winter Park- I'll check them out! :)
We got most of our ski gear from Play It Again in Boulder. It's inventory is simply incredible (its owner has been telemarking for 30 years). Definitely recommend paying it a visit if you visit the area. There is also Boulder Sports Recycler. In Denver, Wilderness X-change carries some neat XCD inventory, often discounted.
Unfortunately, its been hard to get a pair of 3-pin leathers for my wife- her shoe size is pretty small. Was thinking of biting the bullet on Crispi Antarctics from Neptune (wish to be all 'XCD' set before leaving CO ;) ), but then saw this thread.