Page 6 of 11

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 am
by Verskis
I went out and bought another pair of Ski Marches. My first pair was a bit too big for me (UK 10) after all, so I ordered UK9. These Uk9's fit me very well, I'm glad I bought these!
These are slightly different than my first pair, as the inner lining is different in front of the boot, and the new pair seems a bit less stiff than my first pair. The sole stiffness seems pretty equal, but there is slightly less ankle support on the new boots, the leather is not as stiff on these. Which is actually pretty good thing, as the first pair was almost too stiff.

I really like these boots, for some reason the turns feel better on these than the Scott Excursions I have. Of course the Alicos are not as stable, but I can feel when I get the weight on my ball of the foot better on these leathers.

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:33 am
by Buda
bgregoire wrote:Bud, so which one fits best? Are they too narrow or sweet?
Hi Ben, I think I've been lucky because It looks like both pairs will be useful. The 8s with a normal ski sock and the 9s with a additional Smartwool "Mountaineering Extra Heavy Crew" sock. I only tried the 9s so far as I was mostly on my E99s (SNS X-Adv bindings) this weekend. I'll say more when I've skied more miles in them.

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:47 pm
by fisheater
Verskis wrote:I went out and bought another pair of Ski Marches. My first pair was a bit too big for me (UK 10) after all, so I ordered UK9. These Uk9's fit me very well, I'm glad I bought these!
These are slightly different than my first pair, as the inner lining is different in front of the boot, and the new pair seems a bit less stiff than my first pair. The sole stiffness seems pretty equal, but there is slightly less ankle support on the new boots, the leather is not as stiff on these. Which is actually pretty good thing, as the first pair was almost too stiff.

I really like these boots, for some reason the turns feel better on these than the Scott Excursions I have. Of course the Alicos are not as stable, but I can feel when I get the weight on my ball of the foot better on these leathers.
The feel of the leathers is really cool. The sole of the Ski March is torsionally strong. I was really surprised the first time I felt it torquing side to side (slightly) in chopped up crud at the resort. For me, I really like the lower ankle of the boot. It allows for nice kick and glide freedom of movement that wouldn't be there if the cuff were any higher. The leather upper and the sole are both stiff, without the lower cuff the boot wouldn't have that range of movement that allows for decent kick and glide in a pretty stiff boot.

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 pm
by bgregoire
Buda wrote:
bgregoire wrote:I only tried the 9s so far as I was mostly on my E99s (SNS X-Adv bindings) this weekend. I'll say more when I've skied more miles in them.
Keep me posted on the 8s, I'd like to know if they are just right for you or little....before I order myself a pair of 7s or 8s....Your experience should be useful to me given we have both tried on those size9 teletours! ;)

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:44 am
by Verskis
fisheater wrote: The feel of the leathers is really cool. The sole of the Ski March is torsionally strong. I was really surprised the first time I felt it torquing side to side (slightly) in chopped up crud at the resort. For me, I really like the lower ankle of the boot. It allows for nice kick and glide freedom of movement that wouldn't be there if the cuff were any higher. The leather upper and the sole are both stiff, without the lower cuff the boot wouldn't have that range of movement that allows for decent kick and glide in a pretty stiff boot.
I agree, the cuff is a really nice compromise that is preventing rolled ankles but allowing decent range of motion.

I have also felt the sole torquing when the snow is wet and heavy and deep, and the ski is buried under the snow during the turn, while I try to turn even tighter. In lighter snow the sole feels pretty solid.

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 am
by Verskis
One problem I have with the boots is the laces, they seem to stretch quite much during skiing and I have to retighten the boots several times during longer trips. Luckily this would be easy and cheap to remedy once I remember to buy new laces.
Also the felt insoles seem to move a bit in the boot and get slightly folded under my foot, I need to try the another insoles (synthetic?) that came with the boots.

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 am
by Buda
bgregoire wrote:Keep me posted on the 8s, I'd like to know if they are just right for you or little....before I order myself a pair of 7s or 8s....Your experience should be useful to me given we have both tried on those size9 teletours! ;)
I feel that the SM 8UKs which are now a little tighter than the TT 9USs will stretch out to be similar and will be my prefered size out of the two. Some pics:
IMG_0193.jpeg
IMG_0189.jpeg
IMG_0190.jpeg
IMG_0188.jpeg
IMG_0191.jpeg
I think the boots are worth the price but they are not perfect. A couple of things I noticed:

- The right boot is slightly smaller than the left on the SM 9 UKs

- The leather on the duck bill is cut short on the SM 8UKs
IMG_0194.jpeg
- The heel strip is a bit too far to the left on the left boot of the SM 8UKs
IMG_0198.jpeg
Hope that helps

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:16 am
by bgregoire
Buda wrote: Hope that helps
Help?! That was like the CLEAREST reply I have ever received! Thanks!

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 am
by Buda
I had a closer look at the size difference between the L and R boot in the 9UKs. I'm starting to think the L is the "wide" version whereas the R is "normal".
IMG_0202.jpeg
IMG_0204.jpeg
The L boot fits perfectly with 2 pair of socks and I'd prefer them to the 8UKs if the R was the same size as the L.
)-:

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:55 pm
by bgregoire
Buda,

Maybe the British Army General in charge figured his soldiers we're not going to get very far on skis in UK slush anyhow. Just wasn't worth paying more for quality control!

Did you see that video on shoemaking in the Crispi Factory? Have a look, boots of this type and handmade using heavy machinery. Its not easy to get everything perfect, particularly the welt. I'm not at all worried about the outser soles. Those are standard Vibram Ferret, they are way oversize when glued on and need to me ground down by hand. So yeah, a 2 mm length difference seems totally acceptable...as performance should not be affected.

For all interested, here is some more Jazz about Ski March sizing:
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2035

I am finally getting a pair of these!