Asnes Mountain Race 48

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
anrothar

Re: Asnes Mountain Race 48

Post by anrothar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Temps were predicted to be in the single digits at the start(which was wrong), and to return to single digits at night(which was correct). I figured I would be starting with the blue, adding red as it warmed up, then getting back to blue conditions as the red wore off, or, worst case, having to scrape the red off.

anemic

Post by anemic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a perfect storm of wrong forecast, suboptimal weather conditions and ground conditions. I applaud the effort.
Call it Nordic Freeride

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 am

anrothar wrote:
If I knew the Mountain Tour 51's were coming out a few months later, I would have gotten those instead. The sidecut on the 48 is nice but unnecessary.
Aaaand BUMP.

Can I ask why, anrothar? What is about the Mountain Touring that you would have preferred? Why's the greater sidecut 'unncessary' exactly? (I'm trying to decide between these two, so more brainfood the better!).

Also hello, I joined this forum specifically to ask this!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:03 pm

Hello and welcome Musk Ox!

If I remember correctly Anrothar was looking for pure XC performance- therefore, the sidecut was not needed.

I don't know anything about any of these skis:
Mountain Race 46
Mountain Race 48
Mountain Tour 51

Why would you not consider the 46 as well?

Personally, I haven't really considered any of them...It seems almost "Fischer-like" to have that many seemingly overlapping choices...

My experience with the Asnes Fjellskis would suggest that they might all be quite different?

My suggestion would be to start a new thread in the main Forum and see if you can get a discussion going on these skis: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewforum.php?f=1
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:19 am

lilcliffy wrote:Hello and welcome Musk Ox!

If I remember correctly Anrothar was looking for pure XC performance- therefore, the sidecut was not needed.

I don't know anything about any of these skis:
Mountain Race 46
Mountain Race 48
Mountain Tour 51

Why would you not consider the 46 as well?

Personally, I haven't really considered any of them...It seems almost "Fischer-like" to have that many seemingly overlapping choices...

My experience with the Asnes Fjellskis would suggest that they might all be quite different?

My suggestion would be to start a new thread in the main Forum and see if you can get a discussion going on these skis: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewforum.php?f=1
Thanks cliffy!

Really, I'm counting out down to the MR48 and the MT51 rather than the MR46 because of where I live and what I'm going to be doing with them.

The MR46 probably isn't going to give me the lift I need if have to negotiate deeper snow and I'm specifically thinking about wax-free: basically I'm only allowed one pair of skis and they have to do everything from one end of the season to the other, on groomed tracks every weekday and in the hills at weekends, from sorry-we'll-have-to-amputate-your-nose temperatures to above freezing. Also I live in arctic Norway and I have to keep up with Norwegians, who are better than you are at moving on skis.

The MR48 Skin is, well, skinned, and the MT51 Waxless comes, well, waxless.

I've actually just bitten the bullet and pulled the trigger on a pair of MR 48 Skins this morning because they're supposed to shift and the internet's made me scared of fishscales.

EDIT: changed my mind when I discovered you could put a skin on the MT51
Last edited by Musk Ox on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j3n5

Post by j3n5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 am

Im about to push BUY-button on a pair of MR48S but hesitates on 190 vs 200. Im 180cm/72Kg, 6´05"/148lb. Any advise?

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:35 pm

you're very tall, I would go longer to take advantage of your long strides. For comparison I am about 6-2 180 pounds and the MT51 feel good to me at 210cm.
Last edited by Cannatonic on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 pm

lilcliffy wrote: Personally, I haven't really considered any of them...It seems almost "Fischer-like" to have that many seemingly overlapping choices...
LC, I think this is a matter of perspective. From a pure XC skiers view, those skis are super different. A pure XC skier might think all those more traditional Asnes Fjellskis with metal edges look heavy and slow...kinda all the same.

Don't ya think?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

j3n5

Post by j3n5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Cannatonic wrote:you're very tall, I would go longer to take advantage of your long strides. For comparison I am about 6-2 170 pounds and the MT51 feel good to me at 210cm.
Thanks, but im also kind of a noob in bcx and hopefully on my way to my former trail running race weight soon so perhaps the 190s will do the job too? Or is Åsnes own recomendations way wrong?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:20 pm

bgregoire wrote:
lilcliffy wrote: Personally, I haven't really considered any of them...It seems almost "Fischer-like" to have that many seemingly overlapping choices...
LC, I think this is a matter of perspective. From a pure XC skiers view, those skis are super different. A pure XC skier might think all those Asnes Fjellskis with metal edges look heavy and slow...kinda all the same.

Don't ya think?
YES- very true- they are certainly not performance skis designed for the groomed track!!!

I just meant that a superficial glance all three of these skis seem pretty close to me in terms of their description on the Asnes site...Based on my experience with the Asnes Fjellskis- which are all very different- I would expect all three of these "Turskis" to be quite different. Would love to know what the difference is between them...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.