Asnes USGI review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
t-$

Asnes USGI review

Post by t-$ » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:16 pm

hey folks. just took the first run on the USGI's and thought i'd post some thoughts about them.

first off, i'm coming at XCD from a mostly cross country perspective, having only skied on skinny track skis and flexy boots. so the USGI's mounted with NNN-BC Magnums and Alpina Alaskas is a heavy-duty rig to me. honestly, i love the added control.

the ski's are pretty similar to my fischer BC country crown 200's in all ways except width and edge. the usgi's are obviously quite a bit wider and have full metal edges. the usgi's are also heavier. no real numbers on these stats cause i am lazy and anyone who really really wants to know that will look it up online.

i took them maybe 10 miles today and the additional weight was not too much of an issue. yes my legs were a bit tired, so the weight might add up on an extended trip, i'm still not totally sold on these for back-to-back distance skiing. this is especially true if the plan contains lots of bushwhacking. picking my way through a mile or so of tight brush made me much more fatigued on these than i normally am after such an excursion. i blame that on the added weight. that being said, for normal conditions it was not really noticable like i thought it might be. the metal edges did take a few miles to adjust to, and on the first couple hills i caught an edge or two when i overwheighted a ski. those edges catch much more easily and reliably than the all plastic skis i am used to!

as far as glide is concerned, i feel like they actually glide better than the waxless fischers. i put a good coat of base binder, then 3 thin coats of swix red (corked in good each time), and squeezy glide on the tips and tails. the temp was in the low 20's with day old snow and the wax worked most excellently. absolutely no problems gripping on the kick or climb and a good smooth glide on each stride. i shoulda filmed myself i think ;) my forrays off trail into the untouched "powder" in the woods proved that they float (at least in 6 inches of snow). i'm sure it'd be a different story in bottomless fluff but you'll have to find another review for that, sorry.

for $30/pair this was probably the best ski i will every buy. maybe i will buy a better ski one day, but it will most likely cost much, much more money. for now, the usgi's will be my go-to long distance trip ski, and the fischer are becoming my mixed rock/track/groomer ski. the second pair was supposed to go to my bro-in-law for xmas but now i don't wanna give em up. is that bad?? hahahah, anyway, happy trails!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Asnes USGI review

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Wicked man- thank you for sharing your perspective!

These skis are excellent deep snow XC skis- they are VERY stable when XC skiing in deep snow.

Glad to hear you got the wax just right! Grip wax is MAGIC!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:19 am

Cool, I've been so curious about the milsurp ski's, I just ordered the Karhu version with the 87mm shovel, are yours the 87mm tip or the narrower ones? I know there's a few variants out there. I figured they have to be decent, and the full wrap metal edge would seem bomber. Sounds like they perform well enough, just a bit heavy? A good low angle, deepish snow, touring ski I hope?
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 am

The Karhu Combat skis are totally different than the Asnes USGIs- I own both.

The Karhu Combat skis are much lighter than the Asnes USGI.

The Karhu Combats have a single-Alpine-camber (with no tip rocker); and a moderately stiff flex. I have the Karhu mounted up with 3-pin-cable and have been using them with T4 boots- as a downhill ski- they are pretty decent downhill skis.

They do have a full-wrap steel edge, and very nice broad raised tips- I would think they would make very good touring skis in soft, fresh snow.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.