Yet Another Madshus Eon Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
t-$

Yet Another Madshus Eon Review

Post by t-$ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Hey guys,

I'd thought i'd post my initial thoughts on the Eon after one ski :lol: :?

Eon 62, 185 cm
Alpina Alaska / bc magnum

anyway, this season i feel like i've unwittingly joined the cult of enablers on this site. i blame it on you guys that i have had to tithe on ski gear and have a ridiculously huge amount of fun in the temple of snow. that being said, the eon's impressed me tonight. you guys have not steered me wrong yet. i love them!

after skiing the usgi's a lot lately, the eon's felt like nothing on my feet. that point alone won me over pretty quick- they are light! on the flats they are like any xc ski in my opinion, better than some, worse than others, so-so overall. definitely don't have the glide of a real long, skinny ski. but that was expected. my wax job was shit, so i won't make up my mind on the general climbing and real ski-ability until i can ski them in several different conditions with more appropriate waxing.

but these guys obviously shine on the downs. holy crap that was fun! i did far more laps than usual tonight just because they are way, way more fun to ski downhill than my other skis. it's amazing! they are beautiful! with no other tracks i was able to get into pretty fresh stuff and they move so nicely through the snow. i can turn so much faster and they go where i want them to when i want them to...i know you guys know what i'm talking about, but man that was great!

i did face plant pretty good on one run...that was a wake up for sure. but i told myself it was better than falling backwards and nothing was broken, so just keep going! i'm glad i did.

now, being that i identify myself as a bc skiier, and ski in the woods and hills far more often than on groomers, i feel like this ski might not last a super long time. maybe it will be tougher than i think, it just feels so light and fragile. however, they had no problem taking down the little saplings when i was duckwalking up a few, so who knows, maybe they'll be better than i think. and actually, the shortness of the ski is a real pleasure to herringbone through a couple of the deep gully uphills behind the house. much easier than the 200's!! so, maybe i'll change my mind on it's backcountry suitedness over time.

obviously, i love them! they are so much fun! i did notice that i was having trouble feeling pressure on my shins, and seems like i was overweighting the back ski now, as opposed to awhile back where it seemed i was doing the opposite. maybe it had something to do with the skis, or the fact that i'm a crappy skier. they go faster than i'm used to :lol:

anyway, thanks for the recommendation...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Yet Another Madshus Eon Review

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 am

Wicked.

I have now grip-waxed the entire base of my Eon Wax- amazing grip and glide.

My 15-year-old son (who is just about to get taller than me! :cry: ) has finally said goodbye to his beloved 165cm Epochs- he loves the Eon. Now he just needs to learn to do a bit of kick waxing (he went out with too cold a wax earlier this week and complained that they were as bad as his Epochs- slipping and sliding all over the place.)

Glad to hear you are happy with your Eons! Happy XCDing in the Northwoods! :!: :!: :D 8-)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:12 am

lilcliffy wrote: My 15-year-old son (who is just about to get taller than me! :cry: ) has finally said goodbye to his beloved 165cm Epochs- he loves the Eon.
I sense a future XCD Knight here...? ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

anemic

Post by anemic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Eons are sweet skis.

Makes me wonder what summa those Fischers or Asnes are like with the "Nordic rocker" but same dimensions. I bet they would be lotsa fun too.

Hey do you have skins for those things? Doesn't take wall to wall and tip to tail skins to have better than crowns grip and close to waxable glide. I really enjoy skiing around the woods on my Eons when the snow is " in season" which is not often in GR.
Call it Nordic Freeride

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 pm

[quote="lilcliffy"]Wicked.

I have now grip-waxed the entire base of my Eon Wax- amazing grip and glide.

My 15-year-old son (who is just about to get taller than me! :cry)

I think my fifteen year old son just passed me. I try telling myself it's just his hairstyle. T-$, Madshus should just send you the whole quiver. The enthusiasm of your first impression was very infectious. I hope you don't purchase one of the skis on my short list. I could be in trouble ;)

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 am

hahaha, don't worry fishy, i'm not buying any more gear any time soon. having too much fun on what i got! what is on your short list, if i might ask?

and yeah, madshus can go ahead and post those sticks to me. i'll just wait here until they arrive 8-)

also, the full base wax method proved to be a winner yesterday. skins are overkill here (imo), and with a full wax they climbed most wonderfully. these skis are going to make me a more profficient climber as they are much more unforgiving than a waxless or a regular dbl camber ski. i really had to focus on my technique for going up, and to me thats a good thing.

definitely more sore because i fell alot more than usual. hard falls too. i'm just glad that i like the bc so there is nobody around to watch me do front flips down the hill. it would be nice if we had more snow. either that or i need to bust out the snowboard helmet. never thought i would wear a helmet xc skiing, but it might be time. cracked the noggin pretty good on some stumps thru the shallow snow :?

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:55 am

t-$ wrote: definitely more sore because i fell alot more than usual. hard falls too. i'm just glad that i like the bc so there is nobody around to watch me do front flips down the hill. it would be nice if we had more snow. either that or i need to bust out the snowboard helmet. never thought i would wear a helmet xc skiing, but it might be time. cracked the noggin pretty good on some stumps thru the shallow snow :?
I also often use a helmet (and knee pads) when XC(D) skiing in the forest, as there are so many trees and rocks and stumps etc. to smash your brains into. I use a bicycle helmet, it needs some warm layers beneath it, but at least the sweat can evaporate pretty easily.
I may look a bit dorky, but who cares. To me, helmets make sense.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:53 pm

I should use a helmet. Good think my heads already f'd! Plus winter is over here so I have 8 more months to deliberate with myself

blastOplast

Post by blastOplast » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:46 pm

t-$ wrote:now, being that i identify myself as a bc skiier, and ski in the woods and hills far more often than on groomers, i feel like this ski might not last a super long time. maybe it will be tougher than i think, it just feels so light and fragile. however, they had no problem taking down the little saplings when i was duckwalking up a few, so who knows, maybe they'll be better than i think.
I love my Eons and I think they are pretty durable as well. They are my first and only pair of metal edge NNN-BC skis so I don't a lot to compare with. I bought a pair used from someone on this forum and have probably almost a 100 days on them now. I do a lot of bushwacking and crossing of scree slopes and other things I shouldn't in shoulder season season conditions and they are still going strong.
Eon carve.JPG
I find them nimble in the woods and fun to turn in the right conditions. Like others, I've had issues with grip but maybe I'll try the grip wax this season.

Enjoy them!