Falketind 62 Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Re: Falketind 62 Review

Post by Petetheswede » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Yes by touring i mean classic k&g.

Going downhill, what do you feel is the difference between the 62 and 68 (except float).

I read your last post on the Gammes and i agree with you its a super do it all ski (almost). Hence maybe i should sacrifice more k&g for turning to get a real and significant difference in my quiver.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Petetheswede wrote: Going downhill, what do you feel is the difference between the 62 and 68 (except float).
Please remember that I have a Storetind Carbon- not a Rabb 68:
- Storetind is wider and more stable
- Storetind is stiffer and more powerful ski- IMO needs a Telemark boot and binding to really take advantage of it
- FT62 can be held on edge with a XC boot
I read your last post on the Gammes and i agree with you its a super do it all ski (almost). Hence maybe i should sacrifice more k&g for turning to get a real and significant difference in my quiver.
If this ski still needs to cover significant distance on variable snow- Ingstad BC.
If this ski is a touring for turns ski- FT62 (NNNBC) or Rabb 68 (75mm).

What are you using for bindings? NNNBC or NN-75mm?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Petetheswede wrote: Going downhill, what do you feel is the difference between the 62 and 68 (except float).
Please remember that I have a Storetind Carbon- not a Rabb 68:
- Storetind is wider and more stable
- Storetind is stiffer and more powerful ski- IMO needs a Telemark boot and binding to really take advantage of it
- FT62 can be held on edge with a XC boot
Just a comment on the Rabb 68s, as I have them: I can ski them pretty well and hold an edge with the Alico Ski March leather boots.
However, would you classify the Alicos as a telemark or XC boot, that I do not know.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:46 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Petetheswede wrote:Now i see johnny is claiming the Rabb68 to be the perfect ski for everything. I wonder how the FT62 compares to the Rabb68 in terms of tourability.
Verskis' reports on the Rabb 68 suggest that its XC performance is very similar to the Storetind:
-Acceptable in deep soft snow.
-Dead and "squirrely" on consolidated snow (For reference the Ingstad BC is a much better XC ski- despite all of its tip rocker)
(The XC performance of the FT62 is very similar to the Asnes 68- the 68 offering greater flotation at 68mm underfoot)
That's true, however my recent outings in even deeper snow has revealed that as an XC ski, the Rabb 68 is in it's element when the snow is soft but not too deep (for example 10 to 15 cm of soft powder on top of a somewhat packed trail). In these conditions they don't feel too squirrelly, but also don't sink too deep.
Like Lilcliffy said, on a hardpack they are really wandering all over the place, and in very deep soft snow (like 50cm of powder) they sink and bow out too much to be really effective XC skis. In those hardpacked or truly deep conditions, the Rabb is not enjoyable as an XC ski, but in the aforementioned soft-over-hard conditions they are actually quite nice to put the miles in.
As a downhill ski, the Rabb can handle hardpack and also deeper soft snow, but I think that even in downhill it truly shines in soft-over-harder-base conditions.
Hope this helps in your ski selection!

Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Post by Petetheswede » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks for your input. Im on NNNBC so i guess FT62 might be as wide as i go not being Johnny. Unfortunately we just went from a good snowpack to nothing in like three days. That always kill my shopping mood. Thanks mr Greenhouse!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 am

Petetheswede wrote: Im on NNNBC so i guess FT62 might be as wide as i go
I actually would very much like to try the 68 with NNNBC at some point. I do love my Annums mounted to NNNBC- on ideal snow and moderate terrain. The 68 is actually lighter than the Guide/Annum! I actually prefer NNNBC on the Annum/Guide as it keeps it in its place...The 68- or at least my Storetind Carbon- is very different from the old Guide/Annum, despite the similar sidecut profile.

All that being said- NNNBC would be just fine on the 68- one just has to accept the limits of the NNNBC boot riding it!

The FT62 is unique: a modern single-cambered, tip-rockered, curvy downhill ski with a 62mm waist!!!

From the Asnes website:
"The Falketind 62 is a wide and ultra-light back country ski designed, simply, to be great fun."
"It is ski for those who love to be on skis – climbing far for the pleasure of the descent."
A touring-for-turns, yo-yo, "AT" ski for those that don't want to upgrade to big mountain boots and bindings.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:34 am

My verdict after one season: The Falktetind 62 is freaking awesome. Simply the best, lightest norpine ski ever made along with the Rabb 68 and the XCD Comp. And bonus, it can tour too. Mind-blowing, I could probably throw away my whole ski collection and be happy with just one pair of FT62... (And/or a pair of Rabbs... 8-) )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:34 am

Ft62s on sale at Sport Albert in a 188 for those that are interested.... Ask me how I know... Thanks Fish...(I think)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 am

Woods,
Can't wait to see videos of Chuck Flannel ripping on the FT's.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 pm

FT62 have arrived from Germany.

First impressions:

Lots of rocker, this is very sweet!
A medium-stiff flex with some pop, but the flex is very round, very alpine. As I sight down the edge while flexing I don't see any compression in the wax pocket area but a smooth turn of the edge. This is EXCELLENT news for me and what I was looking for.

For comparison-- they are:
Less stiff than:
The Ingstad, which have similar rocker but at least 1/2 extra camber underfoot (does not bend to a round flex)
The Fischer Excursion 88, (which have more camber and less rocker than the Ingstad but similar stiffness.)
The old Fischer Boundless WAX, which is less stiff than the Excursion and turns very nice but no rocker.

More stiff than:
Voile Objective-- but VERY similar rocker profile and flex pattern (a round alpine flex). Not super more stiff, just a bit with some pop at the end.

This makes perfect sense for this ski-- it's like a lighter skinnier Objective and with those dimensions (97-62-86) you're going to want a little more muscle underneath the foot and a little more POP.

This ski could very well be a new defining ski for the Catamount class. I know EXACTLY where I'm going to ski the FT62 this winter! I am very excited!