Åsnes Gamme

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Cannatonic

Re: Åsnes Gamme

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:53 pm

sounds wonderful, thanks for the report. I'd love to get a pair of 200's to go with my 210's. I really liked the pair of 200 E99's I had with scales, way easier to turn than the 210's. I wish Gamme came in 205, that is the length I would prefer.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:38 am

Perhaps the best quiver would be a Gamme 54 and a FT68- as opposed to a Gamme 54 and an Ingstad...

Thanks for the excellent information Pete!
Gareth[/quote]

Gareth, you're killing me! I can't afford 2 sets of new skis! Well, I bought my son new alpine boots, skis, and bindings. I do believe if I were to go FT 68, I would be inclined to go with the Storetind Combat. Now I will stop thinking about a wider ski.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:22 pm

These skis really are all so different- each with their own special place!
To me- the only reason for a distance-oriented Nordic tourer not to have a ski like the E99/Gamme 54 in their quiver is if the snow is always deep and soft.
If one's backcountry snow typically consolidates and firms up, then a ski like the E99/Gamme 54 is actually more versatile than the wider softer E109/Combat Nato/Ingstad.
On deep soft snow there clearly is a little overlap between the Asnes 68 and the Ingstad...But- again- they are totally different skis- the Ingstad being a XC ski- the 68 a downhill ski. Although the 68 offers decent XC performance on deep soft snow- the Combat Nato/Ingstad is a MUCH faster and more efficient XC ski. And the 68 is a magnificent downhill ski...

Gamme 54 man- I think you need one! :D
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:40 pm

I received my Anses Gamme 54 skis. They are not out of the individual plastic sleeves as of yet. However, I do have some initial impressions. My 195 lbs, approx 88 kilograms easily squashes the ski flat on my vinyl kitchen flooring. However, I cannot squeeze that camber closed when attempting to close the skis base to base. I would call the Nordic rocker fairly significant. I will measure that rocker because quantities translate better than my idea of significant. The Ski has real tips, and they flex nicely with the rest of the ski. I don't believe there will be any pool cover syndrome problems with this ski. I really believe it would be a pretty good trail breaking ski. Oh, and it has a straight tail that says hammer me and I'll run straight and fast. That is not to say that the Nordic rocker will not help you put a little arc into the Ski when turned on edge. What I am saying is this ski looks like it will track very nicely.
Now lastly, for Johnny and all those folks that have an appreciation for the esoteric. This ski has the coolest graphics ever! From the trail of South Pole circumnavigation to cool sayings in English and Norwegian. I believe Aleksander Gamme probably put more than his signature and likeness on these skis. I think he must be an esoteric soul, and I believe it comes through in the graphics. They are really cool, I can't wait to take these green skis and my red boots for a ride. Johnny you're going to have to get a set of these skis, even if you just use them for park cruisers, milk and bread grabbers, or a quick 10k to clear the mind. Heck like our friend had Ingstad speak to him as far as binding position, I wouldn't be surprised if you and Gamme might find some connection of the living. You will need to Ski them to know for sure!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:30 pm

fisheater wrote:Johnny you're going to have to get a set of these skis, even if you just use them for milk and bread grabbers
Actually, this is my favorite kind of skiing! But I already have Alfa Polars and Ingstads for these kinds of expeditions.

You know what? I already have a pair of brand new 210cm Gamme here, still wrapped too. Amazing skis, and the funny thing is that the first thing I noticed was the pumpkin head and G's email address. WOW, this is the best looking Asnes ski of them all. I was really surprised to see something like this on a ski from such a "serious" company with very straight and serious customers. Unfortunately, Sir Gamme is only passing by, he is only on his way to New-Brunswick... I had to work VERY HARD to prevent myself from writing a long review about the Gamme... Or else someone somewhere would have received a brand new pair of Gamme already drilled... ;)

Beauuuutiful skis, on my list, like all other Azneees. But my choice for this year went for even much faster skis. I'll be able to grab fresh pomegranates and valencia oranges (75% of my diet) at the local grocery store within 10 minutes. Remember, the faster the ski, the less you actually have to ski!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Bob- very exciting!!!
They sound fun and FAST.

I am very excited about trying them myself!!!

I am thinking that the Alpine Gods have again become threatened by the Nordic Gods...My new Asnes skis were temporarily kidnapped and held in the Alps by jealous Alpine Ski Gods...It is a conflict as old as the industrial age- but the wealth and riches of the Alpine Gods do not have the patience and stamina of the ancient Nordic Gods...

I have been cruising the hills on my white deep snow machines for weeks now giving thanks to the snow Goddess that has blessed us with mid-winter endless fresh snow. I have been calling to those captive skis- they have finally been freed by the Nordisk Magick of my Canadien Nordic brother in the Quebec glades.

Much more fresh snow- with warmer temperatures- for the next few days means the snow will be set up perfectly for Gamme the Younger!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:05 am

I am looking forward to your review of this ski. You are going to put more miles, more quickly than me. However handling this ski, I am fairly confident that I will be quite pleased with it. I am mounting my spare pair of USGI first. I will also most likely be skiing that USGI mounted NNN-BC first this season. Not counting having the FT 62 out on man made snow over the weekend.
BTW, my Alaska's fit like they were custom made. Really looking forward to the new boot/binding combo for my trail skiing.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:22 pm

very nice, two pairs of 210 Gamme's coming online! it's easy to fall completely under the thrall of Asnes, yeah they're gorgeous, you'll notice there is a high rate of repeat purchases. soon paying $85 shipping to get a pair of skis from Europe seems totally reasonable...it's not that bad! :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 am

Hey can one of youze post a picture of the nordic rocker on your Gammes? Ski's together, open and closed?

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Woodserson wrote:Hey can one of youze post a picture of the nordic rocker on your Gammes? Ski's together, open and closed?
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG
Here you go Woods. I made a mark where skis made contact near tips. I compressed skis with a wood clamp and measured from pencil mark to the point where bases again touched. I measured 20 cm of Nordic Rocker.
Hope it helped.
Btw I enjoyed the photos Chuck!
IMG_1110.JPG