Åsnes Gamme

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Åsnes Gamme

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:12 am

To reply to Fish about what length I got the Gammes...

I went with the 200cm.

I am 155lbs and that put me on the low end of the 190's according to the Asnes scale. That being said, I ski the E99 in a 205 and all my woodies in 210. I like longer skis in this particular class and I also believe I can always add grip but I cannot add glide. I was split between the 210 and 200, but seeing Asnes wanted me in a 190 I went with the 200 and LC backed me up here. Additionally, the 210 was not available at Neptune so that made the choice super easy. Up against my woodies and E99's they are the shortest ski... which makes me go "eeehhh" but I have a nice consistent wax pocket with the index-card test in all the right places. SO we will see. There is always next year for 210's if I need them! (Actually-- maybe some Admundsens? It's getting Cccccrraaaazyyy now!)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:31 pm

I have been flexing the Gamme's 8 different ways to Sunday in a most unscientific and unsound fashion and I can definitively say, almost, that the Gamme's are springier, less mushy, and stiffer than my 205cm E99 ExtraLites.

The mostly ignored "lean them up against the wall at an equal angle and press on them and watch the tip flop around test" was the most convincing.

I am having anxiety about the 200cm length, and this test makes me feel better about their flex for my weight at the very least.

Snow can easily solve these problems and offer answers but...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:03 am

Woodserson wrote:I have been flexing the Gamme's 8 different ways to Sunday in a most unscientific and unsound fashion and I can definitively say, almost, that the Gamme's are springier, less mushy, and stiffer than my 205cm E99 ExtraLites.
Same as mine- my Gammes are definitley stiffer, and more resistant over their length than my E99 Xtralite. The tip on my E99 is soooo much softer in comparison!

What are they like underfoot? My Gamme has a lower-profile initial camber than the E99, but I find them to be very close in terms of final resistance when I try to squeeze them together. When I stand on them- on the floor- the E99 almost feels slightly more resistant underfoot.

The full-length stability of the Gamme is VERY noticeable when skiing. On consolidated snow the Gamme has a longer glide/running surface. In deep snow, the Gamme is more stable.

The mostly ignored "lean them up against the wall at an equal angle and press on them and watch the tip flop around test" was the most convincing.
Cool. This would reflect what they feel like in deep snow!

(I personally have to come to hate the wimpy tips of the Xtralites)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:38 pm

Just picked up a set of Gammes, very excited! Can't decide on binding choice though, currently all my skis have regular NNN bindings so I will be getting new boots and bindings at the same time. The Alfa Skarvet BC and Greenland 75mm both fit me great, I like the idea of a 75mm setup but wondering if the Rottefella Super Telemark will be too wide for this ski as it's only 54mm wide in the middle? Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
Cheers, Leo

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:55 pm

Leo Tasker wrote:Just picked up a set of Gammes, very excited! Can't decide on binding choice though, currently all my skis have regular NNN bindings so I will be getting new boots and bindings at the same time. The Alfa Skarvet BC and Greenland 75mm both fit me great, I like the idea of a 75mm setup but wondering if the Rottefella Super Telemark will be too wide for this ski as it's only 54mm wide in the middle? Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
Cheers, Leo
Leo,
I don't own a Super Telemark, but I just set a Voile 3 pin Hardwire toe piece ( HD Mountaineer) on my Gamme 54. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work well. For what it's worth, my Gamme 54 is the first ski I have mounted NNN. All my other ski are 75 mm.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 am

Thoughts on me mounting -1cm from BP? I'm 71kgs naked, using the skis for forest travel not necessarily for turning though that will factor in, and I'm concerned about the 200cm length I got. They seem very forward if I mount at BP.

If no one has strict objections that's what is going to happen.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:58 am

Hey Woods,
What is your desire with the aft mounting- better glide?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:45 am

lilcliffy wrote:Hey Woods,
What is your desire with the aft mounting- better glide?
Yes

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 am

FWIW I would stick w/ BP. The forward location is an advantage of this ski vs. E99 IMO - the BP is located at the same spot as chord center on all my Asnes skis. They handle and glide like full-on XC skis but turn better and feel more responsive this way.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Cannatonic wrote:FWIW I would stick w/ BP. The forward location is an advantage of this ski vs. E99 IMO - the BP is located at the same spot as chord center on all my Asnes skis. They handle and glide like full-on XC skis but turn better and feel more responsive this way.
OK that's solid advice. Yes, my BP and CC matched right up on the Gamme. All my woodies have such long shovels by comparison with way aft mounts it was startling to see the forward mount on the Green Man, I was going with what I visually was comforable with without having tried the skis...I don't want slow K&G for turnability which will be seldom. I would love to take your 210's out for a spin... how's that knee? If it's good we should plan a tour.