Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Cannatonic
XCD Guide
XCD Guide

Re: Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm OK with some "innovation", these companies that make our gear have to survive & remain profitable. It reminds me of music, for example the first few Soundgarden albums rocked but then they had to do "Black Hole Sun" commercial-sounding stuff for a few albums to make money, I'm cool with that! :lol:

I remember buying a pair of Salomon XC skis from Akers to replace some old 210 Kharus and the longest option was like 201cm. Within 10 minutes out on the skis I'm thinking "these are slow as molasses! what is wrong"....the science of physics is what was wrong - 200cm does not glide as fast as 210cm. I donated those skis to the AMC youth sports program.

it seems like Asnes is thriving as people realize they still make traditional length XC skis and waxing skis and nobody else does. People in Norway are smarter than here.....the country is currently obsessed with playing chess!

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/sport ... rlsen.html
The Magnus Effect: Norway Falls Hard for Chess
Chess is omnipresent in Norway, the home to the world champion Magnus Carlsen. And, somehow, it has become cool.

Johnny
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Dancing with God
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, Objectives and all Asnes skis.
Favorite boots: ALFA Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:22 pm

There should only be 200 to 250cm XC skis. With different camber and weight ratings. Similar to the racing XC skis where you can buy soft, medium or stiff versions of the same size...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile Objective and V6, Altai KOMs, Atomic Vantage 85, XC: Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T4, Alaska

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Johnny wrote:
If only they could make 210cm skinnies with a camber for lightweight skinny guys... 8-)
(This is called vintage decambered skis, my favorite...!)
This is why I really love wood skis, I can gently adjust the camber of the course of an off-season to my personal preference with how I block the ski.

The Sondre has slightly lower weight ratings for their length, 205cm for 75-90kg...

Johnny
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Dancing with God
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, Objectives and all Asnes skis.
Favorite boots: ALFA Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:30 am

My verdict after one season: The Mountain Race 48 SKIN is freaking awesome. If the words FAST and LIGHT mean something to you, the whole MR series will make you smile. They are awesome for everything: classic XC tracks, frozen fields skating or pure mountaineering. (Even jump-turning downhill is fun too!) I sure will increase my Mountain Race fleet next year... 8-)

TRAVEL FAST!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."