Asnes Access Skins 74mm / 100mm

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Asnes Access Skins 74mm / 100mm

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:38 am

Åsnes Access Skins 74mm and 100mm
Ok, not really a full review, just a few words about the new Asnes Access Skins. The X-Skins have totally changed the way we use skins. I haven’t used full skins in years, and I stopped using kicker skins since I discovered the X-Skins a few seasons ago. They are so much more convenient than everything else. But for climbing, the new Access Skins are even better.

Seriously, there is no need for full skins anymore. No matter where or how steep you climb, the Access Skins give more traction than what you need. I really, really like them. They are easy to fit in your pockets, no need for a backpack anymore. And they are half the weight of full skins. The Mohair/Nylon mix is perfect, the glide is a million times better than full skins. And with their super light weight, climbing is faster than ever. IMPORTANT: Just make sure you order the right ones. The 74mm ones have the standard X-Skin attachment, while the 100mm ones have a larger plate that won’t fit in regular X-Skin inserts. Make sure they fit your ski model before ordering. And be ready to pass everyone on your way up!

Access climbing skin, fits our Alpine Touring skis. A brilliant climbing skin that attaches in center of the ski. Perfect for access and ensures sufficient grip when climbing in less demanding terrain. The short skin is easy to bring along and demands minimal space in your backpack or pocket. The low weight helps to reduce the overall weight of the equipment with approximately 450-500gr. compared to traditional climbing skins. The skin is made of 70/30 Mohair/Nylon for optimized grip and glide.

Asnes Access Skins-2.jpg
Asnes Access Skin 100mm on the Tindan
Asnes Access Skins 74mm.jpg
Asnes Access Skin 74mm on the Rabb
Asnes Access Skins differences.jpg
Attachement plates: 100mm Skins on the left, 74mm skins on the right
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Asnes Access Skins 74mm / 100mm

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Great information.
No matter how many times I have read the Asnes website I did not realize that the Access-Skin came both for the wider inserts as well as the X-Skin/Skin-Lock inserts.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Asnes Access Skins 74mm / 100mm

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Yep, pretty cool isn't it?
It really changes the way I see skins, fishscales and climbing...

I thought they all had the same claw... I felt so sad when I first tried to install the 74mm I had ordered for the Tindan, just to realize the insert was too wide... That is why I thought it would be a good idea to clarify it here... :cry:

(There was no info about the compatibility of the Access Skins and skis on the Asnes website until last week... It has been updated now...)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."