Asnes Rabb 68 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Asnes Rabb 68 Ski Review

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 pm

Verskis wrote: This was also the deepest snow I've been on the Rabbs yet, and they did not sink too bad even when XC skiing. Of course they sink somewhat, but not frustratingly deep like the Eons do in similar conditions.
Do they feel stable and supportive when XC skiing in deep soft snow, or do they "bow", with the narrow waist sinking much deeper than the tip/tail?
To me it seems like the Rabbs are pretty much similar as Lilcliffy's Storetinds are.
Very cool! I spoke to a skier from British Columbia/Alberta that said the previous Falketind 68 had a much rounder softer flex than the Storetind and the new Rabb...
The only thing that I do not like on the Rabbs is that the steel edges do not go all the way to the very end of the tip to protect it. My ski tips are already looking quite bashed. Sometimes I also wonder if a track groove would make it track better, but would that hinder the turning?
I do appreciate- very much- the full-wrap steel edge on the Storetind for backcoutry skiing below treeline- was hoping that it would return on the Rabb 68!

I think that a track groove would definitely help- somewhat- with XC tracking. If one is pressuring and engaging the edges when turning- shouldn't hurt downhill performance...I would think that a track groove would have a bigger effect on fat, round smeary powder skis...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Verskis wrote: This was also the deepest snow I've been on the Rabbs yet, and they did not sink too bad even when XC skiing. Of course they sink somewhat, but not frustratingly deep like the Eons do in similar conditions.
Do they feel stable and supportive when XC skiing in deep soft snow, or do they "bow", with the narrow waist sinking much deeper than the tip/tail?
I really have nothing else to compare than my 185cm Madshus Eons ( I already sold off my OAC Kar147s), and compared to them, yes, the Rabbs are more stable and bow less. But skiing in untouched 50cm deep and soft powder snow, the waist does sink maybe 20cm and the tips stay on top, so yes, they bow quite significantly. And even though the tails are quite wide, they are also sinking pretty deep and it feels like I'm skiing uphill most of the time. But the Eons are even much worse, therefore I think these are decent soft snow skis. Your Storetinds might (or might not) be much better in this regard, it's really hard to say when comparing different lengths of skis (my Rabbs are 180cm) in different snow conditions by different skiers over the internet :P

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:37 am

Maybe it is just perception or my alpine background from the era of straight skis, but while I had a similar experience with my FT 62, my level of satisfaction was much different. I skied 12" of fresh at a lift served hill, however I was skiing a slope that required maybe a kilometer kick back, being slightly uphill. 12" is about 30 cm, and my FT 62 may have bowed 20 cm. However, the kick was wonderful. My 195 lbs (88 kilos) was supported and balanced. While there was a porpoising action, I always felt supported by tip and tail. I felt the same feeling that I felt skiing downhill on skinny skis in the old days.
I was doing laps, and was breaking a different trail back every time. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to put the ski thru it's paces. I'm not sure if it is different past experience or different expectations that result in the different levels of satisfaction with performance. Too bad there are so many miles and an ocean between us. I would be happy to lend you the Tindan 86, to measure their cross country performance. I lost the 20 cm of snow I had, but know we are at -6 C, and will be below freezing for the next week. Possibility of up to 20 cm of snow by next weekend. For my trails, that is rock ski skiing. Too thin for downhill skiing, but I will be very happy to get 10 or 15 miles in next Saturday and Sunday.
Enjoy those snowy hills you have. Oh, by the way, I would consider the Ski March a Telemark boot. It turns almost as well as my T-4 within limits. It doesn't tour like the Alaska. The sole of the Ski March does not match the feel and flex in kick and glide the Alaska has. The Alaska BC is considered to have a stiff sole. That is my way of looking at that comparison, somebody else may see it differently.
Cheers

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:42 am

I agree with Bob on the Ski March- I would definitely classify the Ski March as a low-cut, leather Telemark boot- not a XC boot. Though- like the plastic equivalent of the Excursion/T4 class of Telemark boots- the Ski March is a Telemark boot designed for touring- Nordic Touring.

I would classify the Alaska as a XC boot- tuned towards striding. But- in that BC-XC spectrum, the Alaska is on the heavy-duty, supportive end of the spectrum- in the same class as boots like the Svartisen and Guard Advance. The Alaska is a BC-XC boot designed for crushing miles in the backcountry and on challenging terrain.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 am

Verskis wrote: I really have nothing else to compare than my 185cm Madshus Eons ( I already sold off my OAC Kar147s), and compared to them, yes, the Rabbs are more stable and bow less.
This is my experience with the Eon in deep soft snow- it sucks- totally unstable.
But skiing in untouched 50cm deep and soft powder snow, the waist does sink maybe 20cm and the tips stay on top, so yes, they bow quite significantly. And even though the tails are quite wide, they are also sinking pretty deep and it feels like I'm skiing uphill most of the time.
This isn't good. You probably have more time on your Rabb now than I have had on my Storetind...I have not had my Storetind out much in snow that deep. I have been on my Combat Natos and Ingstad BCs in the very deep pow we have had so far this winter...

Similar to my persepective on the Combat Nato and Ingstad BC-
I would like an Ingstad BC with the exact same flex-camber and 68-70mm waist- a BC-XC-d ski exclusively oriented towards deep snow and steep terrain. With all of that tip rocker- you don't need all of that sidecut to turn them in soft snow. At 68-70mm undefoot the Ingstad BC would offer better float, stability and grip in deep snow.
I would like a Rabb 68/Storetind that was 78-80mm underfoot- with the exact same flex-camber- for the same reasons.
All of that sidecut certainly gives these skis tight-radius turns on consolidated snow- but it reduces their deep snow performance...

From your description- it actually sounds like the Ingstad BC may actually be more stable in very deep snow than the Rabb 68- despite the fact that it offers less flotation...

Wish Asnes would send you an Ingstad BC :idea: to compare against your Rabb 68...I am starting to think that it might be what you are looking for...

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 am

lilcliffy wrote: Wish Asnes would send you an Ingstad BC :idea: to compare against your Rabb 68...I am starting to think that it might be what you are looking for...
That would be awesome :D
If the Ingstad performed at least as well on harder snow and also better on the soft snow than my Eons, they could replace the Eons as my more touring oriented ski, especially if they also turned better than the Eon. But I'm not going to rush to buy Ingstads, as I already blew my ski budget on the Rabbs.
You also make it sound like I am pretty disappointed with the Rabbs, which is only partially true. I am a bit disappointed by their trail skiing performance, but I am more than happy with their downhill performance (especially with the leather boots, as I first thought that I would need plastic boots every time I head into more challenging hills). I have now taken a bit more downhill focus on my ski outings this year, and been enjoying the Rabb quite much.

I may need to realize that a holy grail ski doesn't exist. I'm sure even the Ingstads would leave me wanting more on the downhill after tasting the Rabbs :lol:

In a perfect world, I would like to have a ski that tracks straight during the kick and glide on hardpack. I would not even need a very snappy kick, as I am quite happy with the Eons on the hardpacked trails. It's just the wandering of the Rabbs that make them slightly annoying on hardpack XC.
Then, the same ski should be able to carve tight lines on both tracked and untouched powder snow in the trees. And it would be nice if the ski didn't suck on heavy wet snow or crusted snow either, so it would need to be loose enough not to get hung up on these dense layers of snow.
A nice-to-have but not necessary trait would also be to be able to break trail efficiently on deep soft snow, but this is not that high on my priority list as I most often ski on harder trails and search for sweet short downhill turns on untouched slopes along the way.

Nowadays, with the Rabbs I am not looking forward to go quite as far, but I am able to enjoy much more challenging terrain for downhill turns. Whereas with the Eon, I can quite happily go on a longer tour but I need very specific conditions (not too steep, not too tight trees, not too deep snow) to be able to enjoy some turns. Unfortunately even skiing life is full of trade-offs...

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 am

Verskis wrote: I may need to realize that a holy grail ski doesn't exist.
Welcome to the club Verskis! At least in Finland, you've got great Salmiakki to help you get over this difficult truth.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:52 am

bgregoire wrote: Welcome to the club Verskis! At least in Finland, you've got great Salmiakki to help you get over this difficult truth.
Ha! I may even need some Salmiakkikossu (basicly vodka flavored with salmiakki) to overcome that!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:08 am

Verskis wrote: If the Ingstad performed at least as well on harder snow and also better on the soft snow than my Eons, they could replace the Eons as my more touring oriented ski, especially if they also turned better than the Eon. But I'm not going to rush to buy Ingstads, as I already blew my ski budget on the Rabbs.
The Ingstad BC has more kick and glide tension underfoot- but, it has a shorter glide zone on hard snow due to all of its tip rocker- it definitely offers MUCH better turn initiation and a shorter radius- and, it is much more stable in deep snow than the Eon. BTW- do you have the Eon Wax or Omnitrack?
You also make it sound like I am pretty disappointed with the Rabbs, which is only partially true.
Sorry! I didn't get that impression, nor did I mean to suggest that!

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 am

lilcliffy wrote:BTW- do you have the Eon Wax or Omnitrack?
I have the Eon Wax.
Sorry! I didn't get that impression, nor did I mean to suggest that!
No problem at all!