Asnes Rabb 68 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Asnes Rabb 68 Ski Review

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 am

Woodserson wrote:
Verskis wrote: I think I will be mounting the binding pinline somewhere inside this "Oneness zone".

By the way, does anybody know, what does the "for tech installation only" mean? It is printed below the boot center mark. Does it mean that the boot center mark is only for AT tech bindings, or does it mean that the binding installation should be done only by professional technician?
I think I ignore both meanings and install telemark bindings on the boot center mark (or very near that) by myself :)
The Place of Oneness/Oneness Zone can only be mastered by the skier who is doing the mounting. It is the ski talking to you, and you talking to the ski.

I Approve!
I have a set of Tindan 86. I am really confused. I may need to go into WaitingForSnow's smoke lodge, or was that Ingstad smoking? The skiers portrayed on the Tindan are ski touring from a fishing boat. Maybe I should eat some creamed herring and have a couple Heineken? Woods could you please measure the distance from the tail to pin line on your Objective.

Verskis, 8 mm is pretty much "oneness". I think anywhere in that small area would work well. I would wager if you asked Asnes for their recommendation for 75 mm bindings they would say balance point. However, I am not super duper pleased with their latest recommendation for mounting the Tindan.
Good luck!
Look forward to your review!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 am

fisheater wrote:Woods could you please measure the distance from the tail to pin line on your Objective.
PM inbound momentarily

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:16 pm

fisheater wrote:
Verskis, 8 mm is pretty much "oneness". I think anywhere in that small area would work well. I would wager if you asked Asnes for their recommendation for 75 mm bindings they would say balance point. However, I am not super duper pleased with their latest recommendation for mounting the Tindan.
Good luck!
Look forward to your review!
I was also thinking that 8mm is not that much, so anywhere inside the Oneness zone should be alright.
But what was the recommendation for the Tindan, and why are you not happy with that?

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:46 am

Mounted the bindings today, but no skiing yet. However, I noticed that one ski was about 3mm longer than the other and had noticeably less nordic rocker than the other, so the Åsnes build quality might not be everything it was cracked up to be. I hope they still ski similarly enough. I'm not worried about the difference in length, but the rocker concerns me a bit...

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Verskis wrote:Mounted the bindings today, but no skiing yet. However, I noticed that one ski was about 3mm longer than the other and had noticeably less nordic rocker than the other, so the Åsnes build quality might not be everything it was cracked up to be. I hope they still ski similarly enough. I'm not worried about the difference in length, but the rocker concerns me a bit...
Are they the same serial number?

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Verskis wrote:Mounted the bindings today, but no skiing yet. However, I noticed that one ski was about 3mm longer than the other and had noticeably less nordic rocker than the other, so the Åsnes build quality might not be everything it was cracked up to be. I hope they still ski similarly enough. I'm not worried about the difference in length, but the rocker concerns me a bit...
Are they the same serial number?
The serial number is already partially covered by the bindings, but at least the three last digits are the same, so I suppose the serial number is the same on both skis.
But now when I tested the nordic rocker again, I noticed there is actually not that much difference in the amount of nordic rocker, but the other ski is raising the tip with less force than the other. Maybe the "guts" of the camber is a bit stiffer on the other ski.
I may have been using too little force earlier, so it seemed like the ski didn't have that much rocker.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Verskis wrote: The serial number is already partially covered by the bindings, but at least the three last digits are the same, so I suppose the serial number is the same on both skis.
But now when I tested the nordic rocker again, I noticed there is actually not that much difference in the amount of nordic rocker, but the other ski is raising the tip with less force than the other. Maybe the "guts" of the camber is a bit stiffer on the other ski.
I may have been using too little force earlier, so it seemed like the ski didn't have that much rocker.
Ok, the last 3 digits being the same is good. Sometimes, I think I notice differences in rocker between skis too-- but only to realize it's an optical illusion depending on which one is "moving" the other one looks like it's not "moving." Think sitting on a train at a station and the next train over starts to roll and you think you're going backwards... same principle.

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Yeah, but in that case you are pushing the bases against each other?
I was pushing them against a door one by one to test the differences on rocker.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Verskis wrote:Yeah, but in that case you are pushing the bases against each other?
OOooooOOoooh Ok Ok. Well, chances are you won't be able to feel anything once you're skiing. If one is a little grabby, detune the edge a bit more, maybe? That's what I do. Good luck and keep us posted. I have the hots for this ski!

Can you please remind us what length you got and how tall/much you weigh?

Verskis

Post by Verskis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Verskis wrote:Yeah, but in that case you are pushing the bases against each other?
OOooooOOoooh Ok Ok. Well, chances are you won't be able to feel anything once you're skiing. If one is a little grabby, detune the edge a bit more, maybe? That's what I do. Good luck and keep us posted. I have the hots for this ski!

Can you please remind us what length you got and how tall/much you weigh?
Thanks for the tips, I'll try the detuning if they feel grabby. Hopefully tomorrow I can try them on the snow for the first time!

I am 181cm tall, weight is 82kg (naked) and the skis are 180cm (well, actually closer to 178,5cm).