Boot Review: 2018 Crispi Svartisen BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Boot Review: 2018 Crispi Svartisen BC

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:01 pm

lilcliffy wrote: Had them out on my Gammes for 10k early this morning and I was in considerable pain by the end of it.
I have to come up with some way of protecting my heels...Working on it.

I won't be doing any serious skiing in this boot again until I resolve this...I am going to end up with Achilles tendonitis otherwise...
Have you considered getting you local cobbler to sew in (and glue) a soft leather liner along the "back ankle" wall? Its done wonders for me before.

Don't forget the magical Ezeefit socks!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 pm

seems like boot overkill for Gamme, I like Antarctics for those. Heel lift is no joke! I developed a bone spur on my heel from chronic heel lift, a surgeon had to cut it off for me. :o
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:35 pm

On the flats- yes the Svartisen is more boot than needed for a ski like the Gamme 54.

But on hilly to steep terrain the extra ankle support of the Svartisen is a big advantage with a ski like the Gamme.

I don't need a lot of ankle support to make wide, open linked turns on long XC skis.

But- to ski tight lines downhill with long XC skis I need to make step, striding and jump turns- this is where a boot like the Svartisen shines.

Chronic rubbing and pressure points are not something to ignore.

The pressure point on my heel from that seam is a much more serious issue than the initial problems that I had with heel lift.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm

that is the big problem today, many skis and bindings to chose from, not many leather telemark boots for the in-between area that is more than XC skiing but less than AT skiing....the old 1 or 2-buckles like Andrew Zenith are ideal for light tele skiing. Rifugio is another good option, have not skiied them yet but they are solid, a step up from Antarctic in stiffness & support. Ski March is good but a lot heavier than Zenith and the Crispi boots.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:13 pm

LC, that heel reinforcement you are feeling, is surely something like this in salpa (or some other material)...would'nt you say?
salpa heel.jpg
http://www.pamisrl.com/en/prodotti/cont ... -in-salpa/
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 pm

LC, I'm about 30 ski-hours into my Crispi Sydpolens. At first, I had some painful heel rub, but they are really starting to feel good now. The control I am getting with these is incredible and the fun has only just begun. I am convinced you Crispis will bond with your feet given proper time!

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 pm

bgregoire wrote:LC, that heel reinforcement you are feeling, is surely something like this in salpa (or some other material)...would'nt you say?
salpa heel.jpg
http://www.pamisrl.com/en/prodotti/cont ... -in-salpa/
There is a raised and very hard ridge where the plastic exterior heel cap has been sewn into the full-grain leather.
I can now feel that seem with my fingers from inside the boot.
It is this ridge/seam that has been causing all of the problem from the beginning.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:22 pm

bgregoire wrote:LC, I'm about 30 ski-hours into my Crispi Sydpolens. At first, I had some painful heel rub, but they are really starting to feel good now. The control I am getting with these is incredible and the fun has only just begun. I am convinced you Crispis will bond with your feet given proper time!
I would expect the same if the Svartisen had a straightforward leather heel.

That seam on the Svartisen is not going to break in...

I have not given up on this boot yet. But I do need something to protect my heel. I am going to work on it before I give up!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:07 pm

I resolved my ankle torture with this boot thanks to these miraculous things:
https://www.ezeefitsports.com/product-p/021.htm

I love them so much I have not taken them off since I put them on when I went out for my first tour at 6am this morning!

I have this boot firgured out for my feet:
1) the standard and fairly decent insole that came with the boot
2) 2mm EzeeFit ankle bootie.
3) tight, thin wool sock
4) snug medium thick wool sock on top
PERFECT!!!!

This boot is now a dream mix of free XC flex and downhill lateral support!!!

(I was determined to get my Chenna Bareee Winter Warmer insoles to work with this boot but they ate up so much volume that I couldn't use the second sock...I am going to try them next with the Winter Warmer insole and the thinner sock.)

Jlbny

Post by Jlbny » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:41 am

I bought a fairly similar Crispi model- Lofoten. After 5 days' use, I think I was mistaken. They're great for up-down telemarking & tight turns on steepish hills, but IMO excessive for touring 15-20 km distances per day with a bit of between-the-trees turning. I share your initial disappintment with several details.
Firstly weight. Secondly, it lacks a vital lace hook just above the ankle, forcing you to use the ratchet buckle, which restricts foot flex, making it uncomfortable for kick-glide. Maybe the sole will soften up after a while, but in the meantime, heel lift & blisters are a problem. I still can't find a happy medium between tight foot lockdown to stop that lift & flex for travelling distances.
Based on what I saw on the Kungsleden in Sweden at Easter, I've bought some Crispi Nordland. Good enough ankle support for me (the "Side Support" reinforcement system makes it stiffer laterally than the Stetind), nice balanced flex for kick+glide, no heel lift, good padding & quite light. A joy to wear.