Boot Review: 2018 Crispi Svartisen BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Boot Review: 2018 Crispi Svartisen BC

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi Bob!
I don't think that Rottefella has anything to do with 75mm soles.
The NNN/NNNBC soles are all made by Rottefella in Norway- glued on to boots by the boot manufacturers.
I would expect a similar process for the new Xplore system- bindings and outsoles made by Rottefella- glued on to boots by the boot manufacturer.

I too don't trust glued-on 75mm-3pin-NN soles...This is the PRIMARY reason why I decided to give NNNBC a serious try some 18 years ago!

As far as the cable vs hardwire spring cartridge for a BC-XC-XCd boot-

I am not sure about this- but I strongly think/feel that it depends on the stiffness of the springs and the overall "activeness" of the binding...
For example- I am not convinced that Voile's 3-pin Hardwire is inherently more active or stiffer than the 3-pin cable...

While I certainly can do and certainly do enjoy downhill skiing without a "cable" (i.e. without heel resistance and,or "activity")- and I get (though don't subscribe to) the absolutist's obsession with a truly free heel (i.e. sans heel resistance)- I GREATLY appreciate a Telemark binding with resistance and activity when I need/want it.

Where I am at not now is the ONLY reason why I would mount 75mm for my local skiing is if I know I want to use a range of boots on the same ski- from BC-XC to Telemark.

I do wish I had mounted my 3-pin Hardwire rods upside down on my Storetind, so I could take them on/off the 3pin bale though...Might have to fix that...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Roelant
Ski style: Backcountry in the wild, cross country on trails
Favorite Skis: Nansen, FT62, Combat NATO
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Scarpa T4

Post by Roelant » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:51 pm

I do wish I had mounted my 3-pin Hardwire rods upside down on my Storetind, so I could take them on/off the 3pin bale though...Might have to fix that...
Hi Gareth.
Isn't it possible to unscrew the rods from the spring cartridge? On the Rottefellas it is. Would make putting those upside down a matter of a few min.

lilcliffy
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:47 pm

Duh!
Thanks for the tip- hadn't thought of that!
So they should just thread on/off?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:49 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:47 pm
Duh!
Thanks for the tip- hadn't thought of that!
So they should just thread on/off?
That is what I am planning on doing, if my more rearward heel piece mount on my Tindan does not hold the heel piece more reliably.
Remember you only need to pull it on one side not both. If you do unscrew yours please post results. I will do the same if my rearward heel piece doesn’t work.
I have no complaint about snow, I am skiing. I am happy. However I would like deep enough snow to point my Tindan downhill through some more open tree shots.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:20 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:45 pm
I have a question. Let’s say you bought a Svartisen 75 mm boot, wouldn’t a three pin cable / traverse or Rotte 3 pin / cable be a better match than a hardwire? I do ski my Ski March with both cable and hardwire. It works with the hardwire, just at a light setting. The hardwire is more power than required, but to me, the best option if you may use a T-4 occasionally as well.
Here's my two cents F. The 3pin cable (with spring attached) is really painful with soft forward flexing boots like the Svartisen or any other floopier boot (perhaps excluding the ski march with its uber stiff sole). I would not do that combo. I know some friends with big feet do however. The hardwire is such that you can lock in in less engaged (stiff), perhaps that might make the combo more doable. but still, nah, probably not comfy in the long run.

My guess is LC want a 3pin svartisen to ski em mostly without cables.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:23 am

Yes would use the Svartisen 75 almost exclusively without cables
Use cables with T4 on occasion
Use both boots in the same ski- Storetind
The Asolo Extreme is an excellent downhill oriented boot- more restrictive then I would like XC
The Svartisen is at least as supportive as the Extreme and MUCH better XC
Would like the option of removing the hardwire when in pure 3pin mode