Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 pm

For the people trimming their skins, how are you doing it? They come with a square edge, but I'm guessing that if they are cut straight across that means the back corners are more likely to catch and lift off the base? Don't want to mess up the glue, so thinking of trimming them so they are more rounded at the back will be better, or am I overthinking this?

They should get their first use this week along with my new boots (Alfa Skarvet) so hopefully will be able to give some useful feedback - as this is my first time on a BC setup.
Cheers, Leo

Buda

Post by Buda » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:01 pm

bgregoire wrote:B, if you've got the skins with the plastic bracket, surely, most of the drag is from the skin hairs themselves.
Cannatonic wrote:the metal clips don't drag much either, it's the skin behind your heel that drags, you can feel it right away.
Why would Åsnes mill a pocket for the clips on the Combat Natos if there isn't much drag?

I tried the skins on the Ingstads today. The skinlocks on the Ingstads are about 2" further forward than on the Nansens even though both skis are the same length. The skins go about 4" past the heels on the Nansens and 2" past the heels on the Ingstads. The Ingstads glided ok but the Nansens were like snowshoes demonstrating your points.

The Ingstads are waxless so I'll end up sizing the skins for the Nansens. I'm in no rush to cut those expensive skins though.

I'm enjoying learning about these skis & skins. Tomorrow I'll try with Madshus Intelligrips on both pair of skis just to compare. Or I could just go back and read LilCliffy's posts. I'm sure he's done all this :-)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Buda wrote: Why would Åsnes mill a pocket for the clips on the Combat Natos if there isn't much drag?
The drag on the metal clips is a lot less than on the BD kickers, but there is a little teeny drag nonetheless. My guess is that during combat, soldiers are not expected to wax. Those kickers are meant to stay on for the full duration of the war. So there you got, that pocket gives norwegian soldiers an advantage the austrian army and their civilian (Fischer) skis and easy skins!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:44 pm

Leo Tasker wrote:Don't want to mess up the glue, so thinking of trimming them so they are more rounded at the back will be better, or am I overthinking this?
not at all! If you check the Asnes website they recommend the exact same thing, cutting the back in a convex rounded curve. Great minds think alike!

yes, they're expensive but you should be able to replace the skin part if you screw up somehow.

I'd love to know how these fare in comparison to Intelligrips
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Buda wrote: I tried the skins on the Ingstads today. The skinlocks on the Ingstads are about 2" further forward than on the Nansens even though both skis are the same length. The skins go about 4" past the heels on the Nansens and 2" past the heels on the Ingstads.
The discrepancy is because you have the Waxless Ingstads, if you had the Wax Ingstads they would be same location.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:53 am

@ Cannatonic - thanks for the conformation! I also found this video from Åsnes which shows how to fit, cut and store their skins. It's in Norwegian but easy enough to follow just by watching. He says to start by trimming 5cm behind the boot heel and go for in 1cm increments until they feel right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4ObWIjkrTs

Cheers, Leo

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:56 pm

That video is very helpful- I started at 3cm and eventually ended up right at my heel.

It is important to remember that your weight is on your heel during the glide-phase of the diagonal stride.

Technique does matter though...
If you do go as far as trimming to the heel, you will often need a focused "kick"...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:36 pm

bgregoire wrote:Those kickers are meant to stay on for the full duration of the war.
It all makes sense now :-)
cannatonic wrote:I'd love to know how these fare in comparison to Intelligrips
On my Nansens the hair on the intelligrips starts at the skinlocks and stops between the ball of my foot and heel. Kick and glide was very good and convinced me that I'll cut my x-skins (but not that short).
Woodserson wrote:The discrepancy is because you have the Waxless Ingstads, if you had the Wax Ingstads they would be same location
That makes sense. The Ingstads are my 1st waxless skis and probably my last.
Leo Tasker wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:That video is very helpful- I started at 3cm and eventually ended up right at my heel.

It is important to remember that your weight is on your heel during the glide-phase of the diagonal stride.

Technique does matter though...
If you do go as far as trimming to the heel, you will often need a focused "kick"...
That's great info. I'll keep that in mind as I cut the x-skins. I'll go bit by bit until they're just right.

Thanks!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:19 pm

On the subject of the machined pocket for the kicker skin attachment on the Combat NATO-

It is the only part of the Combat Nato design that I dislike...
It makes sense- as Ben stated- if the skins are on all the time.
However- it is a bit of an annoyance if one is waxing and buffing/polishing wax...It is much easier to evenly and effectively apply wax to a perfectly smooth base...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 pm

lilcliffy wrote:On the subject of the machined pocket for the kicker skin attachment on the Combat NATO-

It is the only part of the Combat Nato design that I dislike...
It makes sense- as Ben stated- if the skins are on all the time.
However- it is a bit of an annoyance if one is waxing and buffing/polishing wax...It is much easier to evenly and effectively apply wax to a perfectly smooth base...
LC, what you need then is an older pre-NR Ingstad, just like mine! They are terrific skis, just had them on a mad bushwack mountain tour. We hiked in on a sunny sunday but left the moutnain with like 80km/hr winds in our back. I think I would prefer mine a little smaller after all, 190-195 would be better. Anyone want to trade for a 200cm?!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM