Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:21 am

You'll figure out how to maximize the wax, this is just technique learned through repetition. Pay attention to the snow type and temperature, feel it in your fingers, smell it, get down with it, and as time progresses you'll remember what to do for next time. As an example: Recently I was on snow that fell fine and dry but was warming up-- so I applied Toko Red underfoot to the XSkin attachment, and corked it in hard. Then a second layer underfoot to the XSkin and corked it in a little less. Then, underfoot in the highest camber area I put some Toko Yellow (warm) and barely corked it. Kind of filling the wax pocket area. Layering like this to varying depths in different areas can give you the results you want. It all takes just a few minutes. If it's too slow, scrap some off with your scraper and cork harder and readjust. This happened as night fell with me and the temps dropped. Ski got draggy, I peeled off some yellow, buffed, and we were good to go. You'll get it. There is some art and feeeeeeel to it. Dig?

As far as the creaking, yes, sometimes they creak. I don't know if my creaking is the plastic underfoot though, I think it comes from more the toe, but I wouldn't remove the bindings for this. If you are convinced it's underneath and want to remove something, only remove the heel piece. Everytime you take them off and put them on you'll get less attachment strength if using the same holes. Back the screw in gently to get back into the original threads, you'll feel it clunk. (You won't feel this in the two main screws in the toe piece because they screw through the plastic of the binding)

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:28 am

another approach would be to reach for your fischscale skis every time you're tempted to use red wax. :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Cannatonic wrote:another approach would be to reach for your fischscale skis every time you're tempted to use red wax. :lol:
I will probably reach for my fatbike instead! :lol: On that note, Oslo is forecast for +9 deg C tomorrow :cry: Won't do the trails much good...

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Leo Tasker wrote:
Cannatonic wrote:another approach would be to reach for your fischscale skis every time you're tempted to use red wax. :lol:
I will probably reach for my fatbike instead! :lol: On that note, Oslo is forecast for +9 deg C tomorrow :cry: Won't do the trails much good...
Leo, take a train if you can, you are only a coupe of hours from paradise. I crossed Rondane several years back, its a beautiful place among many others at your doorstep!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Leo Tasker wrote:
So it isn't just Michigan? I had 10 cm Monday on top of an icy base. Now I have an icy base on top of an icy base. I guess things are improving ;)

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 am

bgregoire wrote:
Leo, take a train if you can, you are only a coupe of hours from paradise. I crossed Rondane several years back, its a beautiful place among many others at your doorstep!
I've got a buddy driving over to Rjukan at the south side of the Hardangervidda plateau next weekend so will probably get a lift for an overnight ski/camp there. Then a few days later going on a week long trip to Lillehammer, where we'll do some hut to hut touring and the forecast says -5 to -10 deg C and sunny. Can't wait!

Makes me feel better about sitting out the klister conditions this weekend :D

Hope you all have better weather!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:41 am

Calling Smitty!
Did you get your Gammes yet?
What do you think of them?

Going to take in some less steep terrain on my Gamme 54 today!

Rain-snow mix in the forecast this week...
The endless cold soft hero snow may be coming to end here in the hills!
Going to try and take a day or two off over the next week or so and get up into the higher elevations in Northwestern NB.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:32 pm

I’m 5’9”, 190’s lbs, or 175 cm 87 kilograms for the rest of the world. All my trail skiing has been in Southeast Michigan this year in relatively thin cover. I have had nice cold powder as well as snow right at the freezing mark.
My only other double camber ski is a USGI ski. The USGI is in 200 cm because originally I thought I would have my son use the 2nd pair.
All I can say is that I love my Green Man skis (210 cm). They are fast, and solid underfoot. They are easy to step turn. They track better in tracked up areas than the wider USGI. While I came to owning the Gamme from hanging out here, my original reason for logging onto the forum was strictly touring for turns. My local trail skiing is fun and interesting with minimal snow. It takes more snow for turns, so I blame you guys for turning me into a cross country skier.
I was able to ski every weekend in February and the first in March, plus some in November, December, and January. It never was deep enough to get off the trails. It was kind of a lame winter, but I really enjoyed the little snow I had on the Gamme. It is in a different league than the USGI. In SE Michigan most of the Nordic skiers are on recreational waxless skis. The thin cover kept me on mostly smooth gravel paved trails. So I was forced to ski with everybody else. I don’t have great XC form, but I blew by people like they were standing still. I was stopped and asked what kind of skis I had many times. One older gentleman that stopped me, had an old pair of Europe’s in the attic. He told me I wasn’t that fast, and next time I see him I’ll be watching him pass me on his old Europa 99’s. I told him that would be fine as long as he stopped and gave me a lesson!
So although I have not been on many skis in this class, I firmly believe this is a real good one. If there is a ski in this class that is significantly better please let me know, because I have a ton of fun on this ski.

Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Post by Petetheswede » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:47 pm

My girlfriend has now officially stolen my 200cm Gammes. I believe she is 175cm, approx 70kgs. She is very happy now so i dont think i'll ski them again. This means i need new Gammes (this trip i'll slog along on perfect Gamme conditions with Ingstad...)

Buying new means thinking again about size. Im wondering if i could go 210cm this time around. Im 185cm and weigh naked 75kg, with clothes and stuff för touring (im paranoid, always a shovel) maybe 10-15kg more.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:28 pm

Pete,
I’m about 12 kilos heavier than you. I am not a trained cross country skier. I once was a pretty decent alpine skier.
I read on this site, that a skier not up to Norwegian standards is said to ski like a Dane. I would consider it a compliment if someone said I ski like a Dane. I don’t have any problems compressing my 210 Gamme. I fly by skiers on recreational waxless skis which are the norm in Southern Michigan. It is the skis, not me. I’m sure teenage girls would blow by me in Scandinavia.
Go for the 210. I’m pretty sure Woodserson is on a 210 Gamme, and he weighs at least 25 pounds less than me.
Cheers,
Bob