Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Gamme 54 BC

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:24 pm

Oh my god, what a disaster.

I was in the sports shop this morning and slipped and fell, hard, right by the ski rack, I was flailing around, spilled a bunch of skis everywhere, made a real spectacle of myself, mortifying, and in my effort to stand up I propped myself up on the nearest thing, a pair of 200 Gamme 54s, but I immediately lost my balance and fell, right by the checkout, dropped the contents of my pockets, totally discombobulated, bank cards flying everywhere, flapping my hands and arms, so embarrassed, trying to put my cards back in my coat and get to my feet at the same time, my bank card grazed the contactless card machine and by incredible misfortune I entered my PIN, my hands just flapping around willy-nilly, and then I just ran from the shop beyond embarrassed, and it was only when I was at the car I realised I had a pair of Teal Man skis in one hand and a receipt in the other.

What should I do?

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:27 pm

I’ve already waxed them and been skiing on them in some kind of social transgression-induced fugue state so I can’t even take them back.

lilcliffy
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:12 pm

WHAT?! :? :lol: 8-)
Didn't you recently switch up your Gammes for a pair of Nansens?
Now you simply must give us your comparison between these two skis- as an act of penance.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:24 pm
Oh my god, what a disaster.

I was in the sports shop this morning and slipped and fell, hard, right by the ski rack, I was flailing around, spilled a bunch of skis everywhere, made a real spectacle of myself, mortifying, and in my effort to stand up I propped myself up on the nearest thing, a pair of 200 Gamme 54s, but I immediately lost my balance and fell, right by the checkout, dropped the contents of my pockets, totally discombobulated, bank cards flying everywhere, flapping my hands and arms, so embarrassed, trying to put my cards back in my coat and get to my feet at the same time, my bank card grazed the contactless card machine and by incredible misfortune I entered my PIN, my hands just flapping around willy-nilly, and then I just ran from the shop beyond embarrassed, and it was only when I was at the car I realised I had a pair of Teal Man skis in one hand and a receipt in the other.

What should I do?

@Johnny is there any way this quote can be moved to the Telewiki section, with the thread heading, “How to Explain Your Lastest Ski Purchase to Your Partner”
We have all been there. This explanation is classic, and will be appreciated by most people that browse our forum.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Rossignol BCX10

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 am

FINASTKIND

Congratulations to you and your newest family member!

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:08 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:12 pm
WHAT?! :? :lol: 8-)
Didn't you recently switch up your Gammes for a pair of Nansens?
Now you simply must give us your comparison between these two skis- as an act of penance.
I did.

EDIT: I've cut this to prevent thread creep... taking it to the newly-opened comparison thread. :)
Last edited by Musk Ox on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilcliffy
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon; Madshus Annum; Asnes Comabt Nato
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Crispi Svartisen BC; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:52 pm

@Musk Ox
Is this a review of the Gamme or the Nansen? 😉😎
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Either the last ones I skied, or the ones I should have skied.
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:28 am

@Musk Ox
Please don’t wait until the end of the season!
Appreciate the real world comparison between the Nansen and Gamme.

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:52 pm
@Musk Ox
Is this a review of the Gamme or the Nansen? 😉😎
Quite right! Sorry – I'll take to this to appropriate thread to prevent thread creep!

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:06 am

Review:

Teal Man, Gamme 54 with about 16 days on skis.

Consider: Don’t go longer than Asnes’ recomondation when choosing Gamme.

For Me: at 134 lbs. / 60 kg & -with pack, layers, quart of water etc = 150+ lbs / 68 kg.

Asnes recommends 180 cm ski. Trust the chart.

Did the paper test (with 7 pound pack on My back) under the wax pocket and it barely pulled out (weight on both skis). Sales guy suggested longer. I resorted to My laptop and teletalk forum crew for finer details confirming what I already gleaned: don’t go too long. Then gave them the money for the 180.

Now, the effects of the proper length, (for Me) is that when I’m skiing, there must be substantial downward weight transfer in the kick and glide motion to connect the wax pocket to the snow. -I'm getting that but it's not always easy and the wax must be dialed. A longer ski would make it very difficult for Me to get the kicker wax down on the snow. I’d not have the ability unless I exaggerated motions that I may not be able to replicate for miles and miles.

Going uphill is where the effects of the proper length shines: I feel where grip is achieved and where its limit is. Can feel it working when I sort of jog up steeper short bits and get instant glue. (((Jog strides forcing downward pressure, when gliding isn't achievable when terrain steepens to that point where if sustained skins may become optional))) The uphill ability seems dependent on not having too long of a ski, RISKING LOSING ALL THE POTENTIAL wax pocket ability. I sense, I'm at the skis limit... for My weight and can tell that aint happening if the ski is longer...

Maybe a better man with better technique already provides more downward force than Me…

I’ve been reading about these 2 skis here for a few weeks (to a dizzy degree), and I’ve come across a few or more posts that indicate a problem with Gamme, traced to a ski which is too long.

Is it possible that a person picks a ski which is the next size longer because that’s all that’s available?
Is the longer ski sexier? (We know the answer to that)…

For Me, happy I got the proper, recommended length. And I’m saying that coming from a Fischer Crown E99 in a 195cm which I’m now thinking IS too long. The 180 visually initially seems too short, but not any more.

Body length Weight (kg) Ski length
150-160 cm - 60 170
160-170 60-75 180
170-180 70-85 190
180-190 80-95 200
190+ 95+ 210

Better telemark forumers may help put better words in My mouth, but that's the truth. Full disclosure: I don't know how to telemark, in case that helps shape anyones description of My description in regards to size choice.

Hopefully helpful.