Rossignol BC X-12 Boots, My Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Rossignol BC X-12 Boots, My Review

Post by Tom M » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 am

I just picked up a pair of Rossignol BC X-12 Boots. They are a 3 pin 75 mm soft boot with a power strap. I'm very happy with these boots. I've tested them with the Fischer S-Bound 98 and the S-Bound 125. They have good flex and enough support to even push the 125's, at least in the snow that I've tried them on so far. The 98's have the Voile 3 pin binding and the 125's have the Rottefella Super Telemark 3 pin binding. If you are in the market for a soft 75 mm boot, you might give these a try. I've posted 3 videos on YouTube with my detailed review. PS, this is not a paid endorsement. I purchased the boots as a replacement for my Fischer BCX675 which I wore out this season. Hope this is helpful for those who might be considering these boots. :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... lhgDo_IbqB
Last edited by Tom M on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Re: Rossignol BC X-12 Boots, My Review

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:44 am

I must say that I do not (respectably) agree... I use to own a pair like that. In my views these aren't very good boots. The fit is weird — unless you have that rare foot that get along with them... That is pretty consistent with what I heard from friends too. They aren't very solid, I mean they are fragile. You might notice it in the coming months... You could come back about that later... Plus, they aren't very sturdy; the whole front of the boot is very soft... The buckle is somewhat decorative. As far as driving a S-Bound 125: for Xcountry, maybe yes... but for turns? No way Jose. To replace them, I bought Alpina BC2175. They are similar but the fit is better for me. Still, they are just flimsy boots. Ok & confortable for Xcountry. Just want to give another perspective... I wouldn't advise someone to get a pair of those. Alico's, Andrew's and Alfa's have much much better boots. Rossignol is about Downhill and Xcountry: for the rest, they are lost (XCD). A guy that use to design skis for Karhu (that knows people in the business) talked about R&D at Rossi; not putting much energy into that market segment....
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Tom M

Post by Tom M » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:12 am

Rodbelan wrote:I must say that I do not (respectably) agree... I use to own a pair like that. In my views these aren't very good boots. The fit is weird — unless you have that rare foot that get along with them... That is pretty consistent with what I heard from friends too. They aren't very solid, I mean they are fragile. You might notice it in the coming months... You could come back about that later... Plus, they aren't very sturdy; the whole front of the boot is very soft... The buckle is somewhat decorative. As far as driving a S-Bound 125: for Xcountry, maybe yes... but for turns? No way Jose. To replace them, I bought Alpina BC2175. They are similar but the fit is better for me. Still, they are just flimsy boots. Ok & confortable for Xcountry. Just want to give another perspective... I wouldn't advise someone to get a pair of those. Alico's, Andrew's and Alfa's have much much better boots. Rossignol is about Downhill and Xcountry: for the rest, they are lost (XCD). A guy that use to design skis for Karhu (that knows people in the business) talked about R&D at Rossi; not putting much energy into that market segment....
I plan to update my review in the future regarding their durability. Most of the modern XC boots aren't very durable, so I've given up on the idea of a set of boots lasting forever. They are replacing my Fischer BCX 675's, which only lasted 2 1/2 seasons. I haven't skied the Alpina BC2175. So far, I'm happy with the BC X-12's. They are what they are, a soft boot with a plastic exoskeleton for additional lateral support. They are only one component of my skiing quiver. For more challenging conditions, I step up to a plastic boot, but I see the X-12's getting lots of use on my end for conditions and terrain where the plastic boots are overkill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:42 am

nice work on the reviews Tom, the videos are great! We barely have any cross-country skis shops anymore and it can be really hard to find these boots to get a look at them.

I also find that your foot has to be right shape for the Rossi and Fischer 75mm boots. If it is, you're in good shape. My feet are mutated in weird shapes :lol: I'm like Rodeblan I can't even get these to tighten onto my foot properly.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi Tom,
Thank you for taking the time to post your very well done video reviews of this boot.

I am also wondering if you have a review of the S-Bound 125 for us? And how it compares to your V6 BC? Do you ski the S-125 solely with XC boots or do you also use your T2s with it?
Is the S-125 no longer being made by Fischer?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 pm

I have moved this thread into "Reviews" and left a shadow up in the main forum so youze guys don't get confused

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 pm

Just to chime in, I owned a pair of these but sold them for lack of use. I find the Rossignol last for XC boots is pretty forgiving, it somewhat accommodates a bunch of shapes it seems to varying degrees of success. I have a wider forefoot and a narrow heel and it worked ok. I rocked a pair of BC X10's for years and until I got the Alaskas would still be on them- my heel is more locked down in the Alaska than the Rossignol boots. The X12 fit slightly different, the insole was replaced with a slightly thicker one and that fixed my issues. I found them soft but smooth in the forward flex but laterally they were solid, which was a nice combination. The little ratchet buckles can be fiddly as I was reminded when I sold them to 12gaugesage, but overall it's a decent boot. It's not the end-all be-all of 75mm XCD boots, but I think it can serve a purpose for the discriminating skier.

The inner boot with the slipping plastic shoelace thingie can be fixed with a simple slip knot wedged against it after tightening, and it won't slip.

Tom M

Post by Tom M » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:58 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Hi Tom,
Thank you for taking the time to post your very well done video reviews of this boot.

I am also wondering if you have a review of the S-Bound 125 for us? And how it compares to your V6 BC? Do you ski the S-125 solely with XC boots or do you also use your T2s with it?
Is the S-125 no longer being made by Fischer?
Yes, I think Fischer dropped the 125's this year. I picked up the S-Bound 125's in 2015 and originally skied them with 3 pins and T4's. In 2016, I remounted the skis with the Voile Switchback. The 125's and the T4's are a great combination, but my feet and the T4's just didn't get along. I put up with blister problems through two generations of T4's, and this season, I decided that I either had to find a solution or give up plastic boots altogether. Others suggested that I move up to the Scarpa T2, but I was reluctant, as it didn't make sense to me that a heavier and beefier boot would be the solution to my problem. I was already lugging more weight up the hill than I wanted. I started this season skiing the 125's with the T2's and Voile Switchback bindings. Long story short, the T2's work better for me than the T4's. With the added weight of the T2's, I started looking at lightweight backcountry downhill oriented skis and decided to give the Hyper V6 BC a try. I moved the switchback bindings from the 125's and mounted them on the V6's, and then remounted a 3 pin back on the 125's.

So far, I really like the V6 / Switchback / T2 combination. Its the setup I'm skiing when the focus is all day climbs followed by one big descent. The 125's are back to where they started and I've been using them for deep snow on rolling terrain, with my XCD soft boots, where plastic boots would be overkill. In a nutshell, the 125's ski better on the flats and the V6's are amazing in the turns. I've documented some of this on my YouTube channel. As I get more trips on the V6's under my belt, I'll try and put my thoughts on the V6's into another video. I have lots of videos on my YouTube channel, so check it out if you have the time. Here is one that I put together earlier this season after a couple of V6 outings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0_D_ngNO94

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks for sharing all of this Tom!
I have been curious about the S-Bound 125...Kinda sorry to see them discontinue it.
My suspicion is that the S125 is the same mold as the Rossi BC125...

I am convinced that the current Rossi BC90&110 are the same mold as the Fischer 88&112.
From examining them in the shop these respective skis are identical in width, camber and flex...

BUT- the Fischer bases are SOOOO much better than the Rossi- both the sintered glides zones and the excellent Off-Track Crown waxless scale insert.
PLUS- the Easy-Skin kicker skin insert is the bomb.

The Rossis are definitely cheaper, but you get what you pay for!

I will have to check out your other videos!
Please keep sharing your ski story with us!
Gareth

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 pm

OH- and BTW- if you ever get to the point of considering replacing your Rossi BCX12:
https://crispi.it/en/349/svartisen-gtx- ... /260/black

I have had trouble with fit with this boot- now resolved- but, what I can tell you- having owned multiple pairs of both Rossi and Fischer BC-XCD boots- is that the quality and durability of the Crispi boot is magnificent.

The Crispi Svartisen is the most supportive BC-XC boot that I have ever tested- while still offering classic Nordic striding.