Voile Objective BC Skis and Super Lite Skins

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Voile Objective BC Skis and Super Lite Skins

Post by bgregoire » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:48 am

Woodserson wrote: and if you're 15 miles from your car you should have a repair kit that takes care of this issue regardless.
Hi there woods, I'm curious to know what you have in your repair kit to solve a ripped out binding issue? I for one am not at all sure what I would do if that were to happen!

I've got a screwdriver kit to screw a loose screw back in. I can imagine carrying some 5-min epoxy to help fix the screws if they stay loose and some metal wire to tie a loose end of a binding to the ski if were to all go the hell..can I do better than this?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:10 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Woodserson wrote: and if you're 15 miles from your car you should have a repair kit that takes care of this issue regardless.
Hi there woods, I'm curious to know what you have in your repair kit to solve a ripped out binding issue? I for one am not at all sure what I would do if that were to happen!

I've got a screwdriver kit to screw a loose screw back in. I can imagine carrying some 5-min epoxy to help fix the screws if they stay loose and some metal wire to tie a loose end of a binding to the ski if were to all go the hell..can I do better than this?
Yeah, something like this. It's going to be ugly. I'm not targeting Voilenerd specifically- I'm just making a general point: Don't be 15 miles from a car without some way to fix a ripped out binding. A ripped out binding is a bad scenario, and I'm very sympathetic for Voilenerd who now has to think about it, I totally 100% get it, and I have certainly thought about this myself with my Objectives (though my terrain around here wouldn't put me 15miles from a car on these particular skis).

But yes, screwdriver, oversized screws depending on the binding, or spare screws at the very least for you binding, and with something like the Hyper skis, one could use a hole punch on a multi tool to start an adequate new pilot hole because the paulownia is pretty soft, you just have to get through the topsheet. This is moving the binding into a new mounting area. Wire is always great to have, au cas ou. Voile straps too.

This is not a good day, the ski is ruined, but you are going to ski out.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:50 pm

Got handkerchiefs and useless straps that can and have been wrapped around bindings and ski...Heh....skied on one ski and gimped on the other....Course that was only a couple of miles....

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:09 pm

If you want fail-safe binding repair that will hold unless the ski breaks in half: machine screws and t-nuts. Ski will be trashed but the binding is not coming off unless the ski breaks!

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 am

paulzo wrote:If you want fail-safe binding repair that will hold unless the ski breaks in half: machine screws and t-nuts. Ski will be trashed but the binding is not coming off unless the ski breaks!
How do you make the holes for the screws in the backcountry?
Do you carry a drill in your pack? :D

HBS

Post by HBS » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Verskis wrote:
paulzo wrote:If you want fail-safe binding repair that will hold unless the ski breaks in half: machine screws and t-nuts. Ski will be trashed but the binding is not coming off unless the ski breaks!
How do you make the holes for the screws in the backcountry?
Do you carry a drill in your pack? :D
They do in Alaska! https://thingstolucat.com/backcountry-s ... epair-kit/

He actually recommends carrying a drill bit that works with your bit driver and some screws and washers so you can bolt the binding back on.