Asnes Mountain Tour 51

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
jyw5

Re: Asnes Mountain Tour 51

Post by jyw5 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:17 am

My mt51 are being delivered tomorrow. can't wait. Mine are waxable 185cm from the swedish site Varuste. I paid $300 US which included shipping. I plan to mount the NNN BC magnum bindings and will be hopefully skiing in 2 wks. In warmer weather, I will use my alfa quest core boots and in colder weather, the alfa guard adv. I have an assortment of skins and will try them out and polar wax tip to tail as early winter produces wet/icy variable snow. (I have 30mm, 45mm nylon and 30mm mohair). Mid winter, I will wax them and bring skins as backup. will give a more detailed report as the winter progresses. I'm excited about this because my NNN WL Classic skis are terrible in variable/imperfect snow (which is most of the winter here unless you ski in the dark with a headlamp before sunrise just after they groom...no thanks).

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:39 am

Sounds like a great plan! Are you located in US? I was wondering how to order the MT51s because Neptune does not appear to carry them. Is it better to order from Varuste than direct from Asnes?

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:14 am

NordicWilly wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:39 am
Sounds like a great plan! Are you located in US? I was wondering how to order the MT51s because Neptune does not appear to carry them. Is it better to order from Varuste than direct from Asnes?
Have you contacted them and try to get a special order in? I think Stephen did that for his FT62. I think it’s worth a try.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:38 pm

When I talked to Neptune, for my FT62 special order, they said they were getting in several Asnes models in all the lengths. They expected arrival late October, early November. The new skis are not up on their website, so you would have to call to see what models they are getting. It was my understanding that they were going to have two deliveries from Asnes, so maybe that means a second order where one could have them add a special order?

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:28 pm

Thanks @Stephen . I spoke with Neptune today. Unfortunately, they said the orders were already in quite some time ago and that MT51s were not one of the models. Looks like I’ll be ordering online somewhere maybe overseas?

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:12 pm

Varuste ships to the US with no problem.

I got my skis today! These are the waxable MT51s. They look really great and they are so light. I ordered last wk so it only took a few days. I live in Alaska so if you live in the lower 48 near a big city, it should arrive fairly soon. They have a few different lengths in stock. Get them before they are gone. I don't think they carry the WL. After reading reviews on the WL, I think waxable is better. I will wax them for cold snow and use skins and glide wax for wet/crust/icy and packed snow.

I'm going to get the Ingstads later this season as I have these MT51s, an old pair of classic dbl cambered nnn skis, the ft62, and my s112 which will work for 99% of oct-dec. It will be my 2nd season with the ft62s...will be interesting to see if I do better with them...I have skiied 60+ days with my S112 since and should be a better skiier. I think alot of it is choosing the best/right ski for the conditions and using wax and/or skins appropriately.

Good luck!

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:39 pm

NordicWilly wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:28 pm
Unfortunately, they said the orders were already in quite some time ago ...
I don’t know if the Sept. 10th is “quite some time ago,” but that was the cut-off day for me to order my FT62s from them.
NordicWilly wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:28 pm
Looks like I’ll be ordering online somewhere maybe overseas?
LIke jyw5 said, varuste.net might be your option. Sizing is limited now, so sooner than later, or wait and see if they get more at some point. I used varuste for boots and it worked out great, also. I think cost from them (including shipping) might be comparable to full price from Neptune, so no cost penalty. I wish they carried a bigger selection.
jyw5 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:17 am
My mt51 ... are waxable 185cm from the swedish site Varuste.
It looks like you got their last pair of 185s - they are showing out of stock on that one, now!
Also, I think Varuste is Helsinki, Finland.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:12 am

yes, you are right. Varuste is in Finland. they keep very low quantities in stock. they also have backcountry ice skate boots that are nnn bc compatible that I have been eyeing since last yr. I might pick up a pair later this winter for ice skating on some lakes with my wife.
I will probably also add another pair of mohair 30mm xskins to that order as those are not available in the US.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 am

jyw5 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:12 am
I will probably also add another pair of mohair 30mm xskins to that order as those are not available in the US.
I’m curious why the 30”?
Just for better glide?
I see those listed on Neptune, but out of stock, so maybe they will have them once they get their 20/21 order from Asnes.
But, Varuste might actually be less expensive.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:54 am

30mm is a good width for my ft62. the 40mm pomoca skins are great for steep dry powder ascents. the 40mm and 45mm are definitely too grippy and not useful for gliding flat and moderate descents. I use them sometimes for hard pack and steep terrain going up and down...sacrifice speed for safety.

I would imagine any skin over 30mm for the mt51 would not serve much purpose for other than climbing steep terrain or icy moderate terrain...but good luck coming down!

I plan to try the MT51+30mm specifically for spring crust skiing. I had good success on my S112 + 50mm mohair mix for decending crust but they were slow on the ascent and flats (I can walk faster). There's a backcountry route that is 2400ft vertical for 10 miles round trip that I have in mind (it is a rather long but easy hike/run in the summer) for next spring.

Otherwise, in the dead of winter, I will use these on and off track and wax them and use xskins if conditions become icy.

you can order the 30mm from Sport Albert. I ordered 5 pairs of different xskins as the shipping was a flat rate... I figure I would eventually cut them to fit different skis and will wear them out. Only nylon is available at REI. I tried those too...they are grippy and great for ascending but you must remove them to go downhill. there is generally very little k&g with nylon. nylon is good for very hard sun/wind crust and wet slippery snow.