SummitCone Exile BC ski review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
vtskier

SummitCone Exile BC ski review

Post by vtskier » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:18 pm

I recently got a pair of SummitCone Exile BC skies from the guys at telemarkdown.com. They are mounted with the 22 Design Lynx bindings, and I ski a TX Pro boot. I got the skis in the 174 cm. I'm a fairly aggressive telemark skier, and do 50/50 resort/back country touring in Vermont. The SummitCone is a new line of skis....I think this is the 2nd year of the line. The ski is 106 underfoot. It is billed as a tele specific ski. The BC version just means it is lighter than than the regular Exile, by about 2/3 of a pound. I think the difference is that the BC version has Pawlonia wood vs maple/poplar for the regular version. The first day out I was on lift serve/groomers. The skis did quite well on the hard pack that abounded. I was surprised how well they did on the firm and fast conditions. They are a snappy ski. It took me a run or three to get used to how the tail pushes through the end of the turn, but once I got the feel I loved the turn. The wide tail seemed to hook up really well from turn to turn. They are quick and snappy for sure. They also skied really well when I got lazy and just railed some big alpine turns. They carve well. Very fun. In subsequent days I got them out on some skied up soft snow, and managed to get into some decent powder as well. The skied up soft snow was a joy. They pushed through it well, and had a nice playful feel through what was more or less skied up crud. We finally got a few decent inches of new snow to close out the decade, so I got a few laps in on a half a foot or so of powder. This was clearly where the ski wants to be, as they floated really well, hooked up from turn to turn, and where really just a ton of fun to ski. I can't wait to get them in some deeper snow, but will have to wait for Ullr to deliver the goods before that happens. The one slight negative is that the side wall constructive is not super tough....they ding up easier than I would like.

For folks who like comparisons, I also ski on BD Amps and Voile V6s. Definitely quicker than the Amps, and way lighter. Of course, I've always thought the Amps were simply tanks or a giant SUV....they just plow through everything. The Exiles ski similar to the V6s, but the turns hook up a little bit better, as they feel quicker in the tail. They also seemed to float a bit better in the deeper stuff, but that should be expected with these, as they are 106 underfoot vs the narrower V6s. All in all I gave these skis a big 2 thumbs up. Kudos to the Fey brothers, they clearly put together an awesome tele ski!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: SummitCone Exile BC ski review

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:22 pm

vtskier wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:18 pm
I recently got a pair of SummitCone Exile BC skies from the guys at telemarkdown.com. They are mounted with the 22 Design Lynx bindings, and I ski a TX Pro boot. I got the skis in the 174 cm. I'm a fairly aggressive telemark skier, and do 50/50 resort/back country touring in Vermont. The SummitCone is a new line of skis....I think this is the 2nd year of the line. The ski is 106 underfoot. It is billed as a tele specific ski. The BC version just means it is lighter than than the regular Exile, by about 2/3 of a pound. I think the difference is that the BC version has Pawlonia wood vs maple/poplar for the regular version. The first day out I was on lift serve/groomers. The skis did quite well on the hard pack that abounded. I was surprised how well they did on the firm and fast conditions. They are a snappy ski. It took me a run or three to get used to how the tail pushes through the end of the turn, but once I got the feel I loved the turn. The wide tail seemed to hook up really well from turn to turn. They are quick and snappy for sure. They also skied really well when I got lazy and just railed some big alpine turns. They carve well. Very fun. In subsequent days I got them out on some skied up soft snow, and managed to get into some decent powder as well. The skied up soft snow was a joy. They pushed through it well, and had a nice playful feel through what was more or less skied up crud. We finally got a few decent inches of new snow to close out the decade, so I got a few laps in on a half a foot or so of powder. This was clearly where the ski wants to be, as they floated really well, hooked up from turn to turn, and where really just a ton of fun to ski. I can't wait to get them in some deeper snow, but will have to wait for Ullr to deliver the goods before that happens. The one slight negative is that the side wall constructive is not super tough....they ding up easier than I would like.

For folks who like comparisons, I also ski on BD Amps and Voile V6s. Definitely quicker than the Amps, and way lighter. Of course, I've always thought the Amps were simply tanks or a giant SUV....they just plow through everything. The Exiles ski similar to the V6s, but the turns hook up a little bit better, as they feel quicker in the tail. They also seemed to float a bit better in the deeper stuff, but that should be expected with these, as they are 106 underfoot vs the narrower V6s. All in all I gave these skis a big 2 thumbs up. Kudos to the Fey brothers, they clearly put together an awesome tele ski!
Thanks for this great write-up. How tall are you and what's your weight if you don't mind sharing? How come you went with the Exile and not the Pariah? Or are you up at Jay?

Also, way to go to compare with the V6's.