19/20 Madshus Panorama M55 Intelligrip Transition ski - initial impressions

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
WildlifeBio
Favorite Skis: Madshus Terrasonic Intelligrip 210cm
Madshus Pano. M55 Intelligrip 205cm
Fischer Excursion 88 189cm
Favorite boots: Rossignol X10 Classic
Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

19/20 Madshus Panorama M55 Intelligrip Transition ski - initial impressions

Post by WildlifeBio » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 pm

This will be quick, as I’ve only returned from my first trip on these skis. My intent in purchasing these is general XCd touring, with a focus on stability, speed, and versatility on both tracked and untracked Forest Service roads in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Montana. Already having both a dedicated track ski (Madshus Terrasonic Intelligrip in 210cm (80-95kg)) and a wider off-track mixed touring ski (Fischer Excursion 88s in 189cm), the collective wisdom here pointed me toward a full-length E99-class ski to fill the gap. It appears almost impossible to purchase a waxable E99 in the US at the moment, however. This M55, a distant descendant of Madshus’ famed Glittertind, seemed to be a good alternative.

Unfortunately, I lack the familiarity so many of you have with various ski models to provide a slew of useful first-hand comparisons. Of the skis I have available to me at the moment, none is in the same class. But they’re what I have as references, so here we go.

Key Specs:
  • Sidecut: 68-55-62
  • Length: 205 cm (available in 180, 190, 195, and 205)
  • Edges: Full-length steel
  • Base: Sintered, fully waxable (with port and recess for Transition skin)
Key Info:
  • Me: 6’5” (196 cm) and 170 pounds (77 kg).
  • Mounted with Rottefella NNN-BC Auto bindings, with pin at the balance point.
  • Glide zones prepped with two hot applications of Swix BP88; glide waxed with SkiGo XC Orange (+1C to -5C)
  • Grip zone unprepped; tested with Intelligrip Transition skins in place (untrimmed)
  • Today’s test conditions: 32 to 34F (0 to 1.1C) air temps, no precip, and packed powder that was beginning to refreeze. Groomed tracks and packed trails with patchy debris from overhead trees.
Initial Thoughts:

Overall, I’m impressed. Conditions were poor, and while I generally dislike tours at or above freezing, these skis handled it better than I’ve experienced with other setups. My wife, on rented Madshus BC55s with waxless bases, fared far worse.
  • Kick was surprisingly good, particularly given the difficult conditions. The skins wetted through but continued to provide solid traction. Didn’t require much more focus wrt technique than my Excursion 88s, and quite a bit easier than my Terrasonics.
  • Climbing ability was good and noticeably better than what I was getting earlier in the week from my 88s (Offtrack Crown) in colder, drier conditions.
  • Glide was better than I anticipated, despite the misjudged temp range. I imagine that a dialed-in glide wax and proper kick wax job (in lieu of skins) would improve things further still.
  • Downhill speed was impacted by the skins, but perhaps no more so than a waxless pattern. Removing them altogether would make the most sense, but see below. Downhill control was ok considering their dimensions but wanting compared to my shorter, wider, and shapelier 88s.
I’m looking forward to testing them out in a wider range of conditions, but definitely promising so far.

One area of concern: The peg used to secure the leading end of the skins fits extremely tightly in the recessed port. Removal is difficult, and any excessive stress on the point where the peg protrudes from the skin appears likely to result in tearout. My first attempt significantly weakened that junction. My second attempt, despite great care and on the other ski, caused it to fail completely. This area of the skin, and perhaps the recessed fitting on the ski as well, needs additional thought and refinement (or a complete redesign) by Madshus. I used cyanoacrylate glue to reconnect the peg, which held during today’s tour. As a workaround, one might consider drilling out the recessed port to ¼” (or sanding down the peg slightly) to relieve that fitting.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: 19/20 Madshus Panorama M55 Intelligrip Transition ski - initial impressions

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:55 am

Thank you very much for this most excellent and detailed review on this new ski!
I am very pleased to learn that Madshus is not abandoning their line of BC-XC skis.
I was also happy to learn that Madshus has joined the integrated kicker skin arms race- though I think abandoning their waxless-scaled bases is a mistake-
Kicker-skin inserts in BC-XCD skis with both smooth waxable and waxable scaled bases please!

I am sorry to hear that the kicker skin attachment system on this ski is a problem-
Though I am keen to hear more long-term reports on this ski- have you considered returning them under warranty?
Madshus will need to resolve this issue ASAP- otherwise they will lose all of their sales to Fischer and Asnes...

Regardless- please keep us posted on how you make out with this ski and on your Nordic ski touring adventures in general!
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:49 pm

Not sure I'm OK with the rebranding - can we still call these Glittertind??? That was a great ski, hopefully these are the same on the inside. I would think they would cover the warranty issue if the pin breaks off.

It would make sense to offer this ski with fishscale - it looks like the E99 Crown does not come with Easy Skin. Only the Traverse/Excusion come with waxless and skin.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

picklesuit

Post by picklesuit » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:55 pm

Finally got some good snow around here (southwest WA), and I'm suddenly thinking I need some new skis. I'm 5'9"/175cm and 165 lbs in my shorts. Oriented more towards kick-n-glide than turns, all ungroomed. I want to try this ski, but I'm guessing 205 might be a bit long for me? Looks like the 195s are sold out for the season. 200 is usually my preferred length, but mysteriously Madshus doesn't offer that length in this model.

Xixi

Post by Xixi » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:48 pm

Hi, considering these skis, and just looking for any updates/long-term reviews to see if the skin-peg issue has been rectified or improved. I actually raced the EMGT on some waxable Glittertinds and 3-pin lace-ups and they were brilliant, although the snow conditions were about as good as you could ask for in regards to waxing - fresh soft snow and reasonable temps. Used BD kicker skins for Star Pass. This was I think ca early 2000's. Anyway, I've been jonesing for a similar setup. Thanks!

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:24 am

No improvement on the skin connection unfortunately. We have resorted to cutting our own skins, and using a metal plug that has a hole at the end, with a pin holding it in place. More parts but more reliable. And cheaper skins.

The new version T55 is significantly lighter than M55

There seems to be a lot of variance in the skin connection, some are loose some are tight

Xixi

Post by Xixi » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:07 pm

Thanks for the reply! Åsnes it is, then. Was hoping the Intelligrip skin system would be good with how low-profile it is compared to the X-skin system, but oh well. Future might hold a quiver with an integrated-skin ski for refrozen/high-temps.

Theme

Post by Theme » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:32 am

Xixi wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:07 pm
Thanks for the reply! Åsnes it is, then. Was hoping the Intelligrip skin system would be good with how low-profile it is compared to the X-skin system, but oh well. Future might hold a quiver with an integrated-skin ski for refrozen/high-temps.
Fischer has a better system than Madshus anyway with what comes to drag. Seems they did some testing with the shape

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:09 am

Since I have skis with kicker skins from Åsnes, Madshus and Fisher I'll weigh in.

From a design standpoint Fischer's may be the best. It is the easiest to use and you would think with the recessed, tapered front of the skin, the least drag. The only complaint would be with the largest hole in the ski it may be the weakest? Haven't heard about problems with this except maybe a couple of early rumors. Limited skin options, but it is easy to make your own for this system.

Åsnes gets second place just because of their wide range of skins. Their attachment, being the clunkiest, seems it would produce the most drag, but it is a robust attachment and these are the smallest holes in the ski. I have had problems with wax getting in the snakebite holes and had to clean it out with a paperclip.

The recessed front of the Madshus would put it in second place, but this is the most fragile system and they only have the mohair mix skin. It may appear fragile, but I will say I haven't had a problem. If your peg is tight, you can easily sand it down a little for a better fit. To remove the skin, first you must pull the skin from the ski all the way to the attachment, then push the peg out. You can use your ski pole handle for this if necessary. If you push the peg out first (which, of course, the Madshus instructions say to do, lol), the angle is wrong and puts unnecessary stress on the attachment joint.

The best glide I have had with a non-recessed, removable kicker is with the Åsnes. That was probably because it was in spring conditions, the skin was mohair, only 30mm wide and on my Gamme which has the most camber/most defined wax pocket of any ski I have with this system. Of course integrated, recessed skin skis glide the best.

Myself and others have made kicker skins for the Madshus
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5625
Last edited by wabene on Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theme

Post by Theme » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:38 am

Some of my local shops reported people have had issues with the new T50 and T55, that they have snapped in half