Fischer Traverse 78 vs Excursion 88

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Falketind 62;Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Fischer Traverse 78 vs Excursion 88

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:05 pm

My current conclusion-

(As far as true distance-oriented XC performance is concerned- neither of these skis can keep up with longer narrower skis- such as the Fischer E99 or Asnes Gamme. More of my thoughts on this here: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2855)

To me, the primary advantage of the 78/88 is that you can get decent XC kick in a shorter compact geometry.
So in this context- I would recommend going with Fischer's length recommendations- willingly giving up maximum XC glide for a shorter and- perhaps- more maneuverable ski. (I say "perhaps" here because even my 210cm E99 is so light that I find them very maneuverable!)
AND- in this context- I do not see the advantage of the 78 over the 88- as one is giving up XC glide anyway- I would choose the 88 over the 78- more stable and more grip.
(And as far as the 78 goes- IMO- the E99 ski beats the 78 at everything- I would choose a short E99 over a short 78.)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.