Åsnes NOSI 76 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: Åsnes NOSI 76 Ski Review

Post by mca80 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:40 pm

I haven't read what Christer wrote, just the first post in this thread from Johnny. Seems like he considered it a bc powder ski.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:53 pm

Basically looking for a very lightweight, widest, floatiest, turniest, surfiest DH oriented ski that can be controlled by stiff leather and cable in deep soft new snow, but that can also get me a couple miles on flats if the situation warrants it to get to or fro the turns.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:02 am

@mca80 I assume you have seen that Tom M has and likes the Voile Objective BC. His quiver discussion:

Warranty will be void with 75mm bindings, but you have to decide if it is worth it. Nosi 76 could also work. I would not choose such a ski too short. Good luck.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:35 pm

I have a Tindan 86, and yes I can ski it quite well in soft powder. I have seen Tom’s videos regarding the Objective and skiing it with leather. I have never seen him ski the leather and Objective combo In anything but soft powder.
Based on my experience leather and mid eighties skis is just an every once in a while kind of thing.
I have also skied 78 mm underfoot quite a bit. That is quite doable. So I believe Nosi and leather would work well together.

telerat
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.

Post by telerat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:01 am

mca80 asked for the widest "that can be controlled by stiff leather and cable in deep soft new snow". It of course depends on what he considers stiff leathers. The selection of what I would call stiff is becoming very small/non-existent.

The wider the ski is (unless high stiff plastic boots are used) the less conditions it will be suitable for. Even in powder I would use a higher and stiffer boot for waists above say 88 mm, but if you want to float on mellow terrain with wide and slow turns it would be suitable with lower boots. Each have to decide what one likes.

Tom M taking it to the extreme here:

I do not think Nosi 76 is what mca80 are after, even though it is a nice ski for other uses.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:32 am

telerat wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:01 am
I do not think Nosi 76 is what mca80 are after, even though it is a nice ski for other uses.
Why not? And what other uses?

telerat

Post by telerat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:01 am

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... =50#p66835

Consolidated and spring snow, as well as hardpack with plastic boots.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:51 am

What would you recommend for my scenario then?

Johnny:
"Yep, personally, the Nosi 76 is THE only backcountry powder ski I will ever need."

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3224

And Asnes:

"A turn radius of 18.2m (172cm) and a slim waist makes the Nosi 76 perfect for turns on solid and hard surfaces. On snowy winter days, the soft tip and the construction of the rocker and taper floats you easily over the fresh new snow."

And Johnny again:

"Dude, the NOSI is only 1075g per ski! 8-)

Nitram Tocrut wrote: ↑Despite being narrower they performed better than the Objectives in deep pow?

Perform? They are just as light as the Objective, and being a few mm narrower means that they can be handled more easily. Plus, they have REAL tips... And surfy tails... Better? Meditate on it. 8-) "

And finally, Johnny comparing the wider but now defunct Tindan to the Objective:

"While it’s the perfect super light all-mountain ski for the alpine skier and tourer, for the few of us who are still doing telemark turns on leather boots, the Tindan 86 is just the ultimate XCD Powder Ski! Because it’s lighter than other similar wide skis you can find on the market, you can fully control the Tindan 86 with pretty much any leather shoes. Add to this Asnes unique Nordic Rocker and you have the perfect touring and turning machine."

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... ive#p24594

telerat

Post by telerat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:37 am

I take anything Johnny writes with a large grain of salt; He is very enthusiastic, but does not sound objective to me. I assumed what Crister supposedly wrote was correct, thus my warning against Nosi, but anyone has their own preferences. I found Crister's posts, so read and decide for yourself:
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 33&#p39833 (this and the next one below it)

He actually recommends Rabb 68 ahead of Nosi 76 in powder for most skiers, which surprises me. A longer length will increase flotation if one such chooses, but it will be less maneuverable/easy to turn. It sounds like a bit wider and softer ski would be better suited for leather boots and pure powder skiing, but I am not sure if that is Voile Objective or something else. If I check out the manufacturers' homepages both skis sound and look very much alike. It does look as if Nosi comes in a new color next year, so perhaps there will be good offers this season/spring:

You might want fish-scales for long flat accesses. From my experience with full length skins in loose snow, I am not sure how well x-skins would work ascending any hill and they will have more resistance than scales when flatter. I have not skied either personally with such a ski, and we are seldom plagued with many consecutive days of deep powder here. I am not sure if this was any help, but good luck.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:52 am

Thanks for linking those posts, helpful.