Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
MikeK

Re: Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:17 am

Good question. I have no idea? Falling purely forward both are pretty free up to a certain point, heavy telemark seems like it may have some issues beyond a certain rotation.

My case was a twist- I flew face forward but my ski tip caught and twisted to my inside (worst way to twist IMO). Both 75mm and NNN BC can transmit a fair deal of force back to the skiers foot, the boot is probably the deciding factor there.

I don't know a lot of the other details on the broken ankle - could have been 75mm or NNN. I'm not sure if he went forward or hit from the side on an edge.

In my wife's case I think she was trying to stem to slow down and caught an edge on the rock, then flew face forward. She wasn't injured, and she falls like that a lot ;)

She did once twist her knee up kinda bad with her Excursions. The fall wasn't really her fault though - she skied over an air pocket with a fair deal of speed and her tip dove down in. She face planted but also twisted that leg. No injury but she did have a hard time untangling.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:08 pm

A bit of midterm update with these boots.

I don't ski on mine as much as I do my Alaska, so my wife's have a bit more miles on hers. They definitely are in need of some treatment, already starting to lose the black dye and dry out a bit over the toes.

So far she is really happy with them. Despite the Norwegian review saying they are a bit torsionally soft, they still have plenty of stiffness and a thicker duckbill than the Alpina counterparts. All in all it has allowed her to ski longer length skis than where she started and have better control all around.

She doesn't plan to switch to NNN anytime soon, but I think if she did, this version of boot would be appropriate for her.

I'd love to get my hands on some Antarctics and compare the old style, non-cuffed, Norwegian welted boot to the more modern, glued Vibram soled, exo-skeleton shoe.

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:48 am

Mike, I might have missed it but what's the coldest temperature you've skied these in?

I'm comparing these to Fischer's BCX 875 and am seeing conflicting reports (granted, all through Google-translated French sites) about which is warmer. Warmth is only one factor, of course.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:00 am

Hmm... I know one of the first time I used them I skied in 0°F conditions. I was out for a 2-3 hours. I would have stayed out longer but my water froze. After that I never kept track.

That day they were a bit cold at first, but as soon as I got going they warmed right up. I was skiing in cold, fresh powder too - so my feet were always in the snow.

I was using them for riding a T bar one day for a few runs and I started to get chilly. Not sure how cold it was but I was out in the open, it was windy and I wasn't generating much body heat. I'm pretty sure I was cold all over.

No boot I have has ever been an issue with being warm when I'm actually skiing. It's only when I'm either first changing into them or standing around.

If I had to pick my warmest boot, it would probably be the Alaska. They have a fair deal of insulation. The Crispis do not - it's just leather, the Goretex liner (which is supposedly insulated) and a thin fabric liner.

I'd be more concerned about this if you are going to ride lifts when it is cold or do overnight trips.

wILLSOn

Post by wILLSOn » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 am

Hi all.
I'm looking for some help with a decision on these boots.
I gather that they fit a size larger. Is this reliable information?
Next, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these and the Fischer Transnordic 75? A comparison in overall support, KG characteristics, and DH edge control would be most appreciated!
I'm having a lot of fun with a pair of Alico Ski March but they're somewhat uncomfortable and I'd love a bit more DH bias.
Cheers!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:40 pm

I have skied neither the Transnordic or the Svartisen. From the reviews of the Svartisen I’ve read I can’t believe the Svartisen had more downhill control. then the Ski March. While my T-4 has more downhill control, the Ski March is very powerful.
I also seriously doubt the Transnordic is a superior downhill boot, but the supposed softer soled Svartisen, no way.
Good luck, if I was looking for downhill support and wasn’t comfortable in a Ski March, I would look at the Transnordic. However if you don’t like the Ski March downhill, go straight to the T-4.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:14 am

wILLSOn wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 am
Hi all.
I'm looking for some help with a decision on these boots.
I gather that they fit a size larger. Is this reliable information?
Next, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these and the Fischer Transnordic 75? A comparison in overall support, KG characteristics, and DH edge control would be most appreciated!
I'm having a lot of fun with a pair of Alico Ski March but they're somewhat uncomfortable and I'd love a bit more DH bias.
Cheers!
The Svartisen does not fit a size larger.
The Svartisen has a more open/wider more volume in the heel (compared to a boot like the Alpina Alaska), ankle, achilles and there is no contour to the heel-achilles section of the boot. The overall width of the Svartisen last is perhaps a bit wider than the Alaska- but not enough to write home about.

Never tried the TN75, but did try the TNBC- similar ankle support to the Svartisen- the Svarisen is a much better Nordic boot.

I don't know- kinda doubt- that the Svartisen or the TN would give you more downhill stability/control than the Ski March...
The Svartisen and the TN are definitely MUCH lighter than the Ski March- which I prefer on traditional narrow, stiff BC Nordic touring skis.

Personally I think if you are wanting more downhill stability control over the Ski March- I would consider a plastic Telemark touring boot. For example- a Scarpa T4 offers more stabilty/control than the Ski March- it is also lighter than the Ski March!
Last edited by lilcliffy on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:16 am

BTW- I own and have thoroughly used the Svartisen, Ski March and T4. I did own and test the TN- hated it- sold it.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:41 am

My 2¢ on the fit of the Svartsen. All of my Nordic boots are size 46. I originally ordered the Svartsen in a 46 even though Erik at Telemarkdown said the boots run a size larger. He was right and I returned them for a 45. I also have a Crispi Nordland Hook in the 46 and it is then same size as my Svartsen 45.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:48 pm

Well I dont know what more to say about sizing other than my 42EU Svartisen is not oversized. Like all size 42 boots they are just just barely long enough on my slightly longer left foot. There is no way I could wear a 41.

Another comparison- although the heel and ankle is roomier in the Svartisen than the Alaska- the Alaska has more expandable volume- I can fit my thick winter warmer insoles in the 42 Alaska- I cannot in the Svartisen.

Don't know about the rest of the Svartisen fleet, but mine are not oversized.
I don't know why Crispi would make the Svartisen oversized...