Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
MikeK

Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Post by MikeK » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:52 am

This is the start of my chronicle on these boots:

I've yet to receive them but they have made it to this continent. I started the order process April last year. It's not a big deal, I haven't had any need for them yet. I actually don't even know what I'm paying for them :? But I'll pass that info along once as soon as I get my invoice (should be within a week or so).

What I'll be using these for:

Rugged east coast touring and XCD with skis like the Epoch and the Annum: skis that won't fit in groomed tracks but are less than 109 max width. I'm hesitant to say meadow skipping because I doubt these will ever see a meadow: Trails, glades, sledding hills, golf course and resort.

What I hope for:

A boot that has all the comfort and touring flexibility of the Alpina Alaska with the proper amount of ankle support: Sole appears to be similar with the addition of two buckles and a cuff.

Durability: I'd like it to last many seasons. Fischer makes a couple boots (BCX675/875) similar to this but from what I've read and seen the durability is not there.

Cost comparable with the Alaska or BCX875. The Alaska was very expensive, nearly $300 retail (I forget what I actually paid). I'm expecting similar pricing from this product.

Other stuff:

Once I actually get my hands and feet on these I'll get an initial impressions review and then a long term update. Seen as how boots like this are so hard to get and cost so much, I figure it can at least help someone out.

I'll give some info on sizing as well but I can only compare to another readily available boot. AFAIK from trying on other Crispi leathers the sizing is the same as Alpinas.

I'm also a bit concerned about the binding fitment with the new Voile 3PC bindings. I'm going to use these on the Annums and the duck bill looks the same design as the Alpina (they are made by Vibram) so I'm hoping it won't be floppy in there. I'll look into this as well.

Stay tuned...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Crispi Svartisen GTX 75mm

Post by Johnny » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:35 am

Are less than 109 max width
8-) 8-) 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Oh man, you better save your loonies. You are going to be so jealous once, and if, I finally get these boots!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:35 pm

Got the bill today. 300 bananas. Not cheap, so let's hope they are awesome!

I'll do a breakdown once they come in.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:03 am

Received the boots today, size 44.

Right off the bat I can tell you they are much looser in the toe box than an Alpina of the same size. I'm looking into getting a pair of 43's to try because that slop will severely limit the positive aspects of these boots. So as it stands you may want to look into sizing down from an Alpina. It's all in the width though. Even a 44 Alpina is tight on my foot width wise. I can wiggle my toes freely in the Crispi.

Number 1 plus of the Crispi: the bill is thicker. It's around 18mm thick. The rest of the sole is Vibram and the same pattern as the Alaska.

The laces are a bit wonky and they don't go down to the toe like the Alaska. That might be part of why they fit so snug. Even tight the Crispi feels loose. The laces themselves are a bit tricky to do up with the cuff. It's a minor hassle, but not as easy to put on and off as the Alpina.

The cuff itself is pretty awesome though. It's not super stiff, there still is some give to it. Even with it tight you have a little bit of freedom but rolling your knee inwards translates to the boot rolling, and not the cuff flexing. So it's right on. You can't feel any discomfort from it being external. The boot is very plush where it cranks down on you. It's not even close to a plastic boot though in terms of stiffness.

The ratchet straps (they aren't really buckles) are decent. The ratchet mechanism works well and release easy enough. The resolution is good... for someone that wants super tight dh control, it ain't going to happen. The ratchet runs out of power at a certain tightness, and it's still fairly soft at that point. It's supportive, but not restrictive.

The toe flex out of the box is money. It doesn't even feel like there would be much break in time. The boots do feel stiff but they flex right in the right areas. I was getting a little heel lift, but I believe a size down would rectify that... if not, I'll have to shim my foot bed. It's rather rare for me to find a boot that is too wide or has too much toe room that simply isn't a size or two too big.

The overall finish is OK. The cuff isn't all that pretty, the stitching is so-so. It's not as sexy to look at as the Alaska. For a night out on the town, the Alaska is the clear winner.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:18 am

I finally got these boots sorted and I am still fighting off a stomach bug, so I haven't given an update. Needless to say I haven't skied them yet and it doesn't look like I will this week because we lost our snow.

43 was the ticket for me. I noticed this: Alpina calls a 44 a 10 US, Crispi calls a 44 a 10.5 US... and a 43 a 10 US... so there is some inconsistency in their sizing.

The 43 doesn't fit like an Alpina 43 ether. It's slightly wider and shorter. It's snug enough though.

So anyway, pay special attention to the sizing and compare all the size metrics before deciding on one to order.

A couple other things I've noticed wearing these in the proper size. They are significantly stiffer than the Alaska. By that I mean the toe and forward flexure. I think the slop on the larger ones was fooling me.

The duckbill is super rigid. I mentioned it was thicker but twisting at it, it feels much more stiff than the Alaska. I'm not sure if it's reinforced internally or it's just the thickness difference. Either way I think it will feel a lot better on the ski for turning, not for touring though.

There is some slight pinch above the laces where my toes flex. It's not bad but I get concerned about this becoming an issue for a long tour and causing pain or blisters.

Heel lift is nil with the tighter fit.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Finally did some real skiing with these boots.

First day I tried them I had them too tight and had too much sock on and they hurt my feet and gave me cramps. I was pretty bummed and thought I might be out on these boots. But I didn't give up so easy... first I tried some different insoles to no avail, and then simply just tried them with thin socks and no liners... that was it!

Anyway I have to say as much as I like those Alaskas, I did some back to back skiing with both boots and for a ski like the Epoch, the Crispis are a perfect match. They have JUST enough stiffness in the sole and duckbill to make a heavier xcd ski feel like the Alaska does on a the Glittertind. With the Alaska the fatter ski does feel a little hard to control in anything but perfect powder. Even for kicking and gliding there is a stark difference between the two. With the softer boot I feel as though I'm having to be very careful with every foot placement, with the Crispi, it feels much more natural, while still having a great flex.

The snow I was in was 8-10" of very light powdery stuff over either a thin ice or NO base. 'Twas a bit challenging skiing in a lot of cases - the hidden ice or forest floor were either bucking and slipping the skis or I'd catch some twigs or leaves on the scales. At any rate I did much better with the Crispi just due to that little extra support and never felt compromised on my kick and glide. My feet settled in and no cramps or blisters.

Overall these boots ROCK! All the greatness of the Alaska just stiffer - and not so much so that you feel constrained.

Yes you can ski the fatter xcd skis with Alaska - but in shit snow - these are better and still oh so comfy!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Seems the Fey Brothers are getting tapped out of these. I tried for a pair for my wife.

I stumbled along this place:

http://en.aventurenordique.com/crispi-s ... untry.html

They ship international and when I put the item in the cart and add the shipping cost, the price of the boots goes down. The total cost was about 244 Euro. Given current exchange rates that's about 288 USD shipped. Not bad. I paid more.

They are lacking 43-45 sizes (probably the most popular) but it's worth a try if you are sure on the sizing. I decided to pass because I'm not and I'm afraid the return shipping could be horrendous.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:55 pm

MikeK wrote: They are lacking 43-45 sizes (probably the most popular) but it's worth a try if you are sure on the sizing. I decided to pass because I'm not and I'm afraid the return shipping could be horrendous.
I wonder if the following shop has that boots in stock.
Telemark Pyrenees
I used that shop once, and their service was good enough.
But I don't know how much the return shipping costs.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:22 am

Great suggestion CIMA. It appears they stock the sizes the other store lacks.

Price is nearly the same shipped to the US.

I'd look into their return policy, but they don't have a 39, which is what my wife needs. The other store accepts returns, but the buyer is responsible for the cost. Typically it cost more to ship from a residence to a business because stores seem to get discounts (or inflate their price to make up for shipping costs). Either way it was like 50 Euro to ship. That plus return fees would be a big loss if I had to return. It would be probably less of a loss to sell them on eBay.

Anyway... such is the hassle of buying footwear online.