Alfa FREE A/P/S GTX XPLORE Boot Review 2022

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Alfa FREE A/P/S GTX XPLORE Boot Review 2022

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:39 pm

To make it easier for everyone to find the proper information, perhaps it's a good idea to gather all the FREE reviews and comments here under the same thread? Here is my take on it:

Alfa FREE APS XP XPLORE Boot review.jpg
Woaaah, this is such an amazing time to be a telemark skier! SO MANY exciting things going on in the free-heel world! As you can see, I'm having a hard time trying to conceal my excitement about the Alfa FREE too! According to Alfa, the FREE A/P/S is an "Innovative boot with BOA, integrated ankle support and the new Xplore system for optimal ski handling." Once again, when I received the box in the mail, I couldn't believe there was a pair of Alfa boots inside. The box was SO light, I thought they made a mistake and sent me some other stuff. I immediately put the made-in-Italy FREE A/P/S boots on the scale: 845g each! Incredible!!!

"New developed BC boot for the Xplore System with increased comfort, stability and ski handling. ALFA's integrated ankle support system, AISS, improves the stability and control in demanding terrains. The Xplore binding system provides great stability in downhills and allows a natural skiing technique with a flex in the sole. Winter insulated lining with GORE-TEX and thermal midsole keeps the feet warm and comfortable in all conditions. The upper material is treated to repel snow and dirt and the Boa Closing System simplifies the step in and allows for individual fit. The boots are also equiped with Recco Rescue System if the accident should happen. The fit in the shoes is spacious so that you have room for thick socks and get good blood circulation. "

I was skeptical when I read earlier reviews saying that the FREE felt like a plastic boot. Well, this is exactly how I felt the first time I wore them! It's hard to explain. They really have the stiffness of a plastic boot, but with the feeling of good old leathers. Only, they are super-freaking-light!!! Definitely something totally new here again! (No, they do NOT feel like SuperComps at all!) It feels almost unreal to stand inside such a stiff boot while at the same time having the feeling that you are only wearing a pair of socks. Wow, wow and WOW!!!! Super impressed once again! Even when walking around, it almost feels like if you were walking in a plastic ski boot... Loosening one of the Boa knobs then puts you into walk mode!

Yes, I had some doubts about the whole BOA thing too. But let me clear this right here, it's brilliant! It's just SUPER easy to tighten and/or loosen. I was about to say that the lacing system is great, but it's even better: there is no lacing system! It's the first XCD boot that you do NOT need to lace! Just turn the dials and you're ready to go in half a second. Half a second to get the perfect fit, and POUF!, half a second to release the tension and get out of the boots instantly. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! When I first put the FREE boots on, I just couldn't help myself: tightening, releasing, tightening, releasing, tightening, releasing... It's really fantastic to have the Boa lacing system on a pair of ski boots. (As a bonus, every time I turn the knobs on the snow fields, I feel like dialing frequencies coming from outer space!) And oh, I'm not sure what kind of material the Boa fit system is made of... It wasn't mentioned before, but those BEAUTIFUL big red knobs seem to act like chick magnets on the trails... 8-)

Alfa FREE vs Alpina Alaska XP XPLORE Boot review.jpg

It feels so futuristic to turn some dials and hear the clicks instead of tying shoelaces. It actually feels really, really good! (I had the same feeling when I got my first pair of rear-entry boots in the early 80's, with the dial in the back and another dial knob on the side for width adjustment...) Ok this is it. THIS is the future, we are living in the future, right now! Remember Marty's new self-lacing shoes in Back to the Future II? This is pretty much how the Alfa Free feels! Really, "lacing" the Alfa Free is just awesome. I really wish we could see the Boa system integrated into other boots as well.

The soles are super stiff. Like freaking stiff. And despite of this, it somehow flexes quite properly like it should at the bellow. A very important point here is WHERE it flexes. Very differently than on the Alaska XP. And also quite different from NNN-BC and 75mm. While the flex point on the Alaska XP has been pushed back a little, the flex point on the Alfa FREE has been moved forward. (See pictures). A totally different concept and design here! Better? Worse? No, just different beasts to meet your own personal preferences. The sole is even stiffer than the Alaska XP sole. Remember how I said that the Alaska XP required a huge amount of force to crush the ball of foot on the ski? Well, it's even harder on the Alfa FREE. The fact that the flex point on the Free is moved forward, and because of its mega-stiffness, it's pretty easy to get that tippy toes syndrome and feeling. And you sure will get it on your first descents. It does require some acclimatization from any skier new to the XPLORE system, especially with the Alfa FREE and its level of stiffness.

Alfa Free flex point.jpg

With a different flex point than the Alaska XP, it sure does not ski the same, and it doesn't turn the same. You will have to make slight adjustments to your new XPLORE ski technique if you are using both boots. I had no problem at all adapting to both flex points and switching from one to the other. But you might need a few days to adapt and understand the DNA of each of your new XPLORE boots. Once your master this Rottefella inverted 2-pin system, which I admit is something totally different and which took me sometime to fully grasp (something which some last year's reviewers didn't get at all), it's easy to understand its real potential and mostly to appreciate the differences between the various XP boots on the market. Again, it does take some time to understand what can be done with each tool and how to get there.

XP XPlore boots flex-points.jpg

Did someone ask for support? Because Alfa's AISS™ ankle support is really, really sturdy! We are talking about extreme class boots support here. I have never seen such a stiff leather boot since the extreme class craze in the 80's. Only this time, at a super light weight and much more comfortable than any Asolo Extremes or Merrell SuperComps! Lateral control and edging couldn't be better unless you switch to the T4/Excursion plastic class. Amazing, truly amazing!

Of course, a sturdy boot with that much ankle support and such a stiff upper cuff will never reach the level of comfort of the Alaska XP or the Alfa Guard. And that is quite normal. One should not expect to have a super stiff boot that feels like a pair of old slippers. The FREE is almost like a plastic boot with an outer leather lining. This is pretty much what the AISS thing is. It's brilliant, it really is! But it also means that the general feeling of the ski experience is also tending towards the plastic boot feeling. You all know how I much I hate the robotic plastic boot feeling. Well, honestly, the Alfa FREE is a very, very nice compromise. The best compromise we can get! Almost the same level of control of a plastic boot, with a feeling really not so light-years-away from your old pair of leathers. That said, the FREE is surprisingly comfortable for its class. In fact, I could say that despite its stiffness, it's probably the most comfortable of all the extreme class boots so far. And with such great support, it also makes a VERY nice skating boot, no matter if you're skiing groomers or open fields, or even if you're skating with Nordic blades. Without a doubt my new all-time favorite skating boot!

For all of you chart junkies out there, here is one particularly relevant. It seems quite simple at first sight, but there is actually A LOT of technical information packed in there. It took me quite some time to come up with all the details and to objectively analyze each boot, but I think it makes a great guide to evaluate what you need at a glance. I didn't add a "warmth" row because that would be hard to fairly compare and most of these boots have quite similar insulation. Lateral control = edging and steering power. Hiking = walking, boot packing, everything that doesn't imply actual skiing with the boot. And feeling is... Well, you know. It's the feeeeel man. The actual level of blissful sensations that run through your whole body when you go downhill. The actual level of dopamine and adrenaline running in your blood and up to your brain. A number indicating how freely the telemark quintessence embedded in every snowflake is able to run through your boots and be transferred from the skis directly to your spine. In other words, it means the essence of telemark... The spirit of telemark.

Once again, Alfa delivered another masterpiece of boot design. They pushed the XPLORE system to the limits with the avant-gardist FREE APS boot. A perfect blend of traditional Norwegian shoemaking mixed with modern design and futuristic features like the Boa fit system and the Recco avalanche rescue technology. A HUGE improvement in support and lateral control over any other NNN-BC or 75mm leather boot on the market. Whether it's for nordic skiing, skating, telemark or cross-country downhill, the FREE A/P/S offers more power than you will ever need. Much more comfortable than your favorite extreme class XCD boot, and most importantly, probably more than 50% lighter! Never before in the history of skiing have nordic and telemark skiers been able to have that much control in a leather boot while feeling so light as the same time. Hats off to you Alfa for coming up with such a fantastic and advanced piece of gear! Thank you SO MUCH!

FREE yourself of everything. Turn the red dials, tune into the power and dance your way downhill!
(For very serious skiers only... and obsessive control freaks!)

Johnny, February 2022

ALFA FREE A/P/S GTX M
845g (43 EU)
€599,00 (680$ USD, 865$ CAD)

UPDATE February 23, 2022

A little update after 2 weeks in a row on the Alfa FREE boots... First of all, I have to admit that I have grown accustomed to the BOA fit system. Or should I say, TOTALLY addicted! I knew it would be cool and fun, but it's a lot more than this. I'm totally sold to the BOA thing. And I can honestly say that I really miss it when I go back to laces. It's just so great to make minor adjustments on location without freezing your hands, this is something that just wasn't possible before. And it's truly AWESOME! I'm afraid I will now NEED Boas on my other boots too. N-E-E-D! I sure will jump on any upcoming boot model available with the red dials. Please Alpina, please!

Second, for all the folks out there judging a boot just by its stiffness, here is a little something for you. Stiffer and More Supportive does NOT necessarily always mean better downhill performance. And this is a good example. As surprising as it may sound, the Alaska XP seems to be a better downhill tool than the Alfa Free. While it's true that the Free is without a doubt MUCH stiffer, that it offers a lot more leverage and A LOT more ankle support, the reality is that I find the skis much easier to turn with the Alaska XP!

It's interesting to note that the Free is giving a lot more control for skating. It's a lot more fun and more powerful than the Alaska XP for skating. But yes, despite the Free being much more stiff and much more supportive, turning the same pair of skis is much easier with the Alaska XP. This definitely has to do with the flex point, and the flex itself, which is ridiculously stiff. The Free flexes near the toes, while the Alaska XP flexes significantly before that point.

Of course my Alaskas have 3 months of skiing on them, so they are more "broken in" and easier to flex than they were. The Free might need a longer break in period. More of this later... The Free will make you feel very safe in any situation, whether it's steep traverses, very technical touring terrain or ravine territory. Almost as safe as in a 2-buckle plastic boot. In complete control of your movements. But for downhill, turning and controlling the skis, I find it is much easier with the softer Alaska XP. (And more fun too!)

My point here is that both boots are awesome, but a ski boot is A LOT more than just stiffness and support. There are other factors to consider as well. Going blindly for the one with more ankle support or for the stiffest of the stiffest (like I know a lot of people here are doing) won't necessarily automatically translate into more downhill control in every case. This is something I already mentioned when I reviewed the Alfa GUARD over three years ago... (I've been trying to do some education here in the last decade, with very little success...) 8-)

Just don't systematically fix your choice of boot by the support factor only. Just food for thought... and the results of real experiments on the snow with the same skis and bindings.

UPDATE March 13, 2022
Stephen wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:22 pm
Maybe I missed it, but how does the Alf Free come out 2 points lower than the Pioneer Pro for “Downhill,” when the “Support” “Stiffness” and “Control” numbers are “10” for each boot? That makes the Free equal to the Guard (both 7), which seems very surprising.

Just a few more words here to clarify the situation, and why the Alfa FREE got a 7/10 note for downhill. This place is called "Telemark Talk", a forum dedicated to the telemark turn, also called free-heel skiing, the technique of dropping knees in order to turn. If you take a closer look at the Free description, you will notice that there is not a single mention of the word "telemark" on the page. No mentions of turns or dropped knees. According to Alfa, the Free is a backcountry boot that improves the stability and control in demanding terrains. It's made for Hilly backcountry skiing. From that perspective, where telemark turns are not involved, I sure would give the Free 10/10 for "downhill", a perfect note. It's the most stable leather boot I know of.

If you are a backcountry skier and you are skiing downhill alpine-style, the Alfa Free is the best and safest option... If you are only doing half-tele turns, or fake-marks, or that snowplowing-with-one-raised-heel dance (aka here as "arcing"), it's clear that the Free will give you much more control for downhill than any other boots. The free is very stiff, and you can get a lot of control out of it from driving the cuff instead of the ball of foot, something you won't get from any other leather boot, not even the Skaget, Guard, Alaska XP or the Pioneer.

The Free is a totally amazing boot. And as much as I'm in love with it, from the TELEMARK perspective, I find that with the basic soft flexor, the Alaska XP and the Pioneer are smoother, more fun and more natural for pure traditional telemark turns. The "downhill" rating of each boot on the chart refers to the telemark, XCD skiing perspective, NOT the Alpine-Touring or Cross-Country point of view. Very different. Just saying... 8-)

Now the way the Free works is not unlike NTN boots. The sole being quite hard to flatten at the ball of foot, it requires additional help to fully unleash its full power for downhill telemark turns. As I first mentioned last year when I first tried the XP, this additional help can come from:

1- a different technique
2- using hard flexors
3- driving the cuff of the boot, which is especially true and useful in the case of the Alfa Free boot

Just like plastic boots, the stiffer the upper cuff is, the easier it is to use it to flex the sole and drive the ski. Some people (Yes, including me 8-) ) might argue here that this is not the pure, original 3-pin telemark technique, as it was the case with NTN 15 years ago. But who cares really? Again, there is nothing new here, this is exactly like the stiff plastic NNN-BC boots of the 90's and their white flexors. Only with better boots and a better system this time. The world is moving forward.

And yes, with different flexors, each of the 7 boots reviewed in the chart have totally different characteristics and ratings. The difference is even greater than a boot with and without cables. But the idea here is to keep the comparisons simple and fair.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Re: Alfa FREE A/P/S GTX XPLORE Boot Reviews

Post by Tom M » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:43 pm

My First Look Video of the Alfa Free below. More to come as I get some time on these boots in the backcountry.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:28 pm

Thanks Tom. The boot upper looks quite a bit stiffer than I expected, almost like the old Asolo Extreme where I can flex the leg forward, but very little backwards. I think I'd still prefer a leather boot, but it looks interesting. Looking forward to hearing your experience when you have more time on them.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:02 pm

Tom M wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:43 pm
My First Look Video of the Alfa Free below. More to come as I get some time on these boots in the backcountry.
that's exciting, Tom! thanks for the 1st look.

I really like that Alfa Free boot. BOA is great. some people are afraid of boa failure in the bc, which could potentially be a disaster. I have BOA on my La Sportiva mountaineering boots and havent had issues. One thing I would like to see is more added protection around the wires, a zip up outer shell over it would be better to increase durability. ...but would probably add another 100 or so grams to it. One possible solution is to just wear gaiters over it. I would recommend this for anyone planning to ski steep lines, multiday trips, and trees, rocks, and brushy areas.

I feel optimistic on its downhill capability as the stiffness looks like it will be enough to drive skis through icy and variable conditions. It looks like its just a step down from ultralight AT skimo race boots in terms of stiffness/flex.

Well darn, just when I went all in on my alfa nnn bc and asnes setups!

I look forward to your next videos. I am extremely curious to see how it compares to plastic. I have been thinking about getting an ultralight skimo AT setup...this setup would shave off 2000grams if its even comparable.

Also to point out. I dont see a clear advantage of getting the new Xplore system if you are skiing flat terrain. NNNBC works just fine for that. And you can get much lighter and flexible boots.

I personally think the point of having the Xplore would be to ski variable terrain and steeper terrain with stiff boots. Having more boot options will eventually happen. It would be nice to finally have a binding that accepts a stiffer/harder boot and also a soft light boot for days you want to ski flat terrain ...and ultimately it has to be better than 3pin (otherwise, what's the point?) or at least better than NNNBC in downhill performance and better than 3pin for XC / (K&G) flat performance

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:11 am

Interesting perspective on the flex. The ankle seems to require loosening the upper (into "walk mode") to really achieve adequate range of motion to ski. The flex at the toe also appears to be ultra stiff. I am of the same thought of @lilcliffy where the softer sole flex of the Guard seems superior for even downhill skiing to the stiff Alaska (for my type of xcd style skiing)-- the boot flexes allowing ball of foot pressure on the ski for telemark or effective kick. This video is more evidence that telemark on this system may look more like skiing stiff plastic gear vs light leather xc gear (rear leg pressures the cuff to transmit force to the ski, the ball of the foot may be lifted off the ski entirely if the resistance in the binding is high enough). We sort of saw that on the initial xplore/ft62/rabb promo video. I'm curious to see how people like the "feel".

Also curious to see where this really fits in terms of current gear options. The downsides of this boot/binding combo for K&G suggest it won't really replace current NNNBC options for rolling terrain and transition-free XCD skiing. Optimal use may be as a more up/down system with a tightening of the upper and exchange of the flexor for the descent. Most skiers would go for ultralight AT system in this context I think (Free/XPLORE is pushing that price point). Maybe tele die-hards will like the feel and this will replace T4s? Of course one could also mount XPLORE and use the Alaska for an XCD tour and the FREE for up/down (which may exceed the range of terrain options vs the same ski mounted nnnbc)

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:14 am

As Tom notes, he will probably not reach for FREE on a tour where he would otherwise ski leather... but may grab these instead of T2s

brwilkinson

Post by brwilkinson » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:24 pm

So I am a week or so into my 2022 season, skiing every day, plus a few singles in the weekends prior.

My setup:
Sbound 98, 3 pin + Fischer Transnordic.
Sbound 112, Xplore + Alfa free.

It's been snowing everyday, so I've mainly been breaking trails everyday, with the odd day on partially groomed or plowed trails.

The first day in the free's, I got blisters on my heels... Admittedly the first day in the Transnordics, I got a blister on my little toe. I'll try not to mention the Transnordics here, other than to say, I've been doing 2 days Transnordics, 1 day in the free's, so far as a ratio, while I am wearing them both in... Plus my blisters are healing.

Let me start with what I love about the Free's..

1) I've been smashing the downhills like never before, this is my nirvana, paired with the 112's, I am sooo excited, they offer so much control.. Today was my best day yet, there is a particular downhill run, that I've broken a trail, plus it's powder all around the trail... Never before in my 98's + 3 pin have a smashed it top to bottom on that hill, either 100% Tele on the broken trail Or carving from the broken trail into the powder on the edges, it's pure pleasure. I spent 3 days just breaking the trail to get that feeling for just a few runs down each day. That is the ride that I purchased the ticket for and it was worth the price.

Okay you get the idea..

2) What else.. I've been using the heel riser on the Xplore bindings, for the climbs, I think it's been helping to wear the boots (flex) in, plus for now it eases the pressure on my heel (remember I still have blisters, that I taped up, they are nearly healed).

3) The boa, has been good. I've been doing the lower boa up as tight as possible, trying to get heel lock. Then the top boa, I've found very easy to adjust as needed, tighten on the downs, then at the bottom, pop it, wiggle my ankle, to loosen, then lock it again, so quick/easy.

4) comfort, not counting the heel pressure, these are super comfortable, in general. Once I finish skiing, I could happily just leave them on. They fit well everywhere, no toe issues at all.

Okay that is enough of my first impressions for things I like, now things I don't like.

1) There is only 1 thing.. So far tightening the lower boa, doesn't lock my heel in as much as I would like. Many boots have holes or a hook, that is positioned low and backwards on the ankle that you can tighten to get heel lock. This is missing.

So that is all I have. These are new, take this as first impressions... Like Tom mentioned in his review, often first impressions are wrong. But I can tell you one thing, that feeling I got crusing down the hill today was exhilarating..

I can't wait to go all of the places that this setup will take me this season. I'll probably check in on some green alpine runs soon as well to test the limits of my skills with the Tele turn, since I am still learning, only a few seasons into it.

I'm going to head down from the mountains for a day or two, I'll probably get a "shoe heel cushion" for a few dollars, then super excited to come back for more.

Looking forward to seeing other views on the Xplore binding and other boots, including the Free's.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:03 pm

@brwilkinson
Wow. Wow.
Very cool.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:46 pm

brwilkinson wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:24 pm
1) I've been smashing the downhills like never before, this is my nirvana, paired with the 112's, I am sooo excited, they offer so much control.. Today was my best day yet, there is a particular downhill run, that I've broken a trail, plus it's powder all around the trail... Never before in my 98's + 3 pin have a smashed it top to bottom on that hill, either 100% Tele on the broken trail Or carving from the broken trail into the powder on the edges, it's pure pleasure. I spent 3 days just breaking the trail to get that feeling for just a few runs down each day. That is the ride that I purchased the ticket for and it was worth the price.
Now you have me excited. :D I was out on my Free's today with the Discovery 80's. I'm trying to be very careful at first with short distances. I don't want to bugger up my feet. These boots are unlike any other boot I've skied in the past. The good news is that Alfa shipped the Xplore bindings that I ordered for my Sbound 98's and they should arrive next week. I'll have a lot more to report after I have spent some time on them at higher angles.
Last edited by Tom M on Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

brwilkinson

Post by brwilkinson » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:07 pm

Tom M wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:46 pm
The good news is that Alfa shipped the Xplore bindings that I ordered for my Sbound 98's and they should arrive next week.
Oh that is great, the shipping is so fast, glad you finally managed to order the bindings.

Thanks for sharing the pics + excitement.