2022 Falketind 62 Xplore 196 cm First Impressions

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

2022 Falketind 62 Xplore 196 cm First Impressions

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:52 pm

Hello, this is to report my first impressions of the 2022 Asnes Falketind Xplore 196 cm ski. I’m not a good poker player, people tend to see where I’m coming from. It’s actually one of my greatest strengths, people tend to trust my honest opinions. However people can also see my enthusiasm, despite by reserve when writing about a product. So while I note a shortcoming, my enthusiasm does come through.
So when I write about the new Falketind Xplore 196, noting my reserve, although my enthusiasm showing through my opening statement on this ski is. Ski designers have been attempting many years to make an acceptable touring ski, that is also an acceptable downhill turning ski. Many have tried, all have fallen short. Until now, the new Falketind Xplore is truly an XC ski, that skis downhill. Congratulations to the men at Asnes!
While hopefully this ski will not be the best XC ski in your quiver, it does offer acceptable XC performance. It doesn’t drag a wax pocket on consolidated surfaces, it tracks well, it is stable in deep snow. It does not compare to my Gamme. However I have been with people on Karhu Annum and Fisher T-78. There was no comparison to the Annum, the FT X was far superior. However the FT X also noticeably out kicked the T-78. There are a lot of variables, wax of the day, and proper sizing of the ski for the skier. The bottom line is the Falketind Xplore is an exceptable cross country ski across a wide range of conditions. I would presume to surmise to say it is less than an Ingstad. Having similar (I suppose) length of effective glide, however less camber. I can only say the ski engineers at Asnes work wonders.
To Joe I can only say while it’s significantly stiffer than the previous version, and far beyond comparison to an S-112, it's not an alpine ski. Of course for that matter I doubt skimo skis are either, they are only designed to survive groomed alpine slopes. I can’t comment on what it’s like in Norway with all that mountain plateau skiing.
What I will say, if you are skiing below tree line. If you need to traverse distance before you start ascending, or your ascents roll. If you desire kick and glide and downhill ability. This ski is far superior to anything that I know of. In my mind it makes the old designs obsolete.
I will say due to the rocker this ski rewards skillful waxing as in some conditions the glide zone is reduced. Such as an inch of powder on a consolidated base. I achieved really good glide on rock hard bases, whereas the previous condition is more difficult.
This ski is the real deal. Don’t buy it short, it’s not surfy like the previous model. There is no reason to buy it short.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: 2022 Falketind 62 Xplore 196 cm First Impressions

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:09 am

Thank you for this Bob!

Biggest intiial question!!!! What about the downhill performance?!
In general- but also compared to your 1st gen FT62?

What are your thoughts on the 1st-gen FT62 vs the the FTX in general?

What about the 196 vs 188 in both XC and downhill contexts?

Your observations on the FTX vs Fischer 78 are very interesting...

(Although I do find the 78 to be slow in general...)

I wonder whether the big difference in XC performance is coming from your more effective grip and glide from grip-kick waxing (vs scales)?

I would be VERY surprised if the FTX was more cambered underfoot than a 78...
Were you able to examine and compare them side-by-each or just observe there differences in touring performance?

Also- I wonder what length the 78ers were on...Fischer's length recommendations for their Nordic touring skis are VERY short- and clearly oriented towards grip and accomodating beginner skiers...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:11 pm

Gareth,
As it relates to downhill performance the difference in longitudinal stiffness is the difference. I could not as of yet perceive the difference in torsional stiffness, although I am all fit torsional improvements. The knife cuts both ways when it comes to being stiffer and more supportive in deeper snow. Stiffer goes a lot faster! That surfiness of the original isn’t there, so keep your originals if you want to surf the hero powder in tight trees. That doesn’t mean the FT X doesn’t still have the same side cut, it still responds instantly to your feet. However a softer ski that bows more is 1) slower and 2) is bowed into a radius that turns tighter. So that surfy feeling just isn’t there. However, the stiffer ski is more predictable in changing snow conditions. I believe overall the longitudinal stiffness will better compliment the torsional stiffness that was already part of the Falketind design. The new FT X skis downhill like a downhill ski.
It’s really difficult to compare the length difference between my 188 FT and my 196 FT X. The difference in flex is so different, that I cannot extrapolate the effect of length.
My observations regarding the T-78 were with kind and generous Whitegrass skiers that were showing me around. Our conversations never went to the skis on our feet. I also will say that in the snow conditions I believe that my wax was far superior to scales having both excellent grip and glide. I only offer the comparison as evidence that the new FT X indeed is an XC ski.
So in closing, while it isn’t a perfect ski the new FT X has done what has not yet been done, both downhill and XC performance in the same ski. Now although I have very little interest in scaled skis, if the folks at Asnes were to offer the new FT X in a scaled version it would easily eventually be the most popular ski in it’s class. However if they need to change the design to make the scales work don’t do it!

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:55 pm

I almost forgot, @Nitram Tocrut , once the deep snows come, and you decide to rip down your neighbor’s hills, you will need a pair of FT X! ;)

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:59 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:55 pm
I almost forgot, @Nitram Tocrut , once the deep snows come, and you decide to rip down your neighbor’s hills, you will need a pair of FT X! ;)
Hey fish! I am glad you like the new FT! I remember posting about them and I think it kind of triggered your buying decision… so i am relieved :D .

Talking of ripping at my neighbor hill that is what I did this weekend but with the Rabb. Have a look at the photos and ask yourself if it was fun ;) . It was by far the best conditions of the winter here. So I skied like crazy today again with the Rabb and the Sverdrup. The Sverdrup were so much fun… much easier to turn than the Ingstad or maybe I am getting better 8-)
DAD50093-38FB-43B2-90A9-18AEE9116799.jpeg
9FA3BC50-95D3-4760-935B-922C924788EE.jpeg
FE3C10AC-9735-4EE9-B819-F9A197A7078C.jpeg
23E2D29A-3CCF-499C-821F-01BC42D17204.jpeg

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:29 am

@Nitram Tocrut Martin, such a beautiful place! It sure looks like you had fun! I forgot you had a Rabb, it looks like it suits you. How long is your Rabb? Boots / bindings?

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:57 am

fisheater wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:29 am
@Nitram Tocrut Martin, such a beautiful place! It sure looks like you had fun! I forgot you had a Rabb, it looks like it suits you. How long is your Rabb? Boots / bindings?
I kind of have a love and hate relationship with the Rabbs. But the thing is there is a reason why I have a quiver of skis. The Rabbs are great when there is fresh snow over a hard base like this weekend. If I try to use them, or the FT, in non optimal conditions I get into the hate part of the relationship. As for your question, I now use the Rabbs with T4 and HW (the orange one without 3 pins) and it’s a really good match. I tried them in previous year with leather boots but I don’t get the same control and I need this support for my aging farmer knees :?
I have not used the FT a lot this year and i don’t plan to buy the new one in the near future. I am pretty stocked with skis for most snow conditions and terrain I have readily access too. I « only » bought the Sverdrup and a pair of Karhu Guides that I might resale as they seem redundant with the Rabbs and I prefer the Rabbs as I find them more efficient for K&G. The Sverdrup is really an amazing ski… but will keep my comments for the Sverdrup review thread.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:26 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:11 pm
That surfiness of the original isn’t there, so keep your originals if you want to surf the hero powder in tight trees.
This is an interesting dimension of the 1st/2nd gen FT62-
In ideal conditions- the FT62 surfs, smears and slarves like a fat rockered powder ski-
HOWEVER- when the snow gets deep the FT62 needs to get up to planing speed to perform downhill. One needs the terrain and conditions to point them down the fall line and open them right up and let them fly. But they are so narrow underfoot, and so round flexing that they just don't work- not in deep snow- not IME (EDIT- the FT62 does "work" in deep snow- just not for me in my local context).
My point is that I don't think one is losing much here with a ski as narrow as the FT62/X.
However, the stiffer ski is more predictable in changing snow conditions. I believe overall the longitudinal stiffness will better compliment the torsional stiffness that was already part of the Falketind design. The new FT X skis downhill like a downhill ski.
Cool.
My observations regarding the T-78 were with kind and generous Whitegrass skiers that were showing me around. Our conversations never went to the skis on our feet. I also will say that in the snow conditions I believe that my wax was far superior to scales having both excellent grip and glide. I only offer the comparison as evidence that the new FT X indeed is an XC ski.
Grip wax = Nordic magic.
(Blue wax heaven here this week.)

What is the rocker profile like compared to your 1st gen FT62? More, less?

And how about the tip profile-geometry compared to the FT62?
Last edited by lilcliffy on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:16 pm

Gareth, again it’s the camber and longitudinal stiffness that changes everything. The rocker is about the same between the original FT and the FT X. The difference is the FT X is completely supportive. In soft snow the ski bends in a very supportive arc. The longitudinal stiffness goes right to the tip. I skied downhill on powder over a bit of light crust, the tip was stable.
Again I will say this is a backcountry ski, it is quite light. I’m not recommending it as a high alpine ski. However the new FT X is a much more capable ski than it’s predecessor. So far I will say the original surfed, and flat ski on hardpack skid o marked better. The skid o mark is fun on moderate sloped narrow trails.

grizz_bait

Post by grizz_bait » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:14 pm

Man, Asnes Acquisition Syndrome is hitting hard this season. Just got Gammes, now I can’t stop thinking about the FT62! Talk me out of it! I could get them for $300 locally, which is making this ski hard to resist.

I have this romantic idea of learning to tele turn on this ski. How difficult would that be for someone like myself, an experienced and solid intermediate alpine skier with no telemark skills that possess average athletic abilities?

I’ve read the thread about mounting Falketind with NNN-BC but still somehow have it in my head that this ski would be best with three pin or Xplore bindings. For the mellow glades and meadows I’d want to ski, surely the NNN-BC is more than adequate?