Rossignol XP 12 XPLORE boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fledersau
Ski style: BC XC/D ex. Telemark 75mm, Snowboardcross and Alpine Skier
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62
Favorite boots: Rossignol XP12 and BC X7

Re: Rossignol XP 12 XPLORE boot

Post by fledersau » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:48 pm

While the boots aren’t necessary the warmest on the market, i never hadwet feet and i even once submerged a part of the boot for a millisecond. So i think they are as waterproof as they get, but compared to the skaget, they are much wider/higher volume and a little stiffer on the upper part…

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:09 am

Alfa Skaget is quite a different boot from the XP 12. I have not had any trouble with water ingress so far on Skaget, but have only skied it loose snow below freezing, as well as fording a small creek. I would assume Alfa Vista with the smooth leather and Gore-Tex membrane is a better solution in wet snow, but Alfa Outback or similar would be the ideal boots if wading around in wet snow.

Thanks for the review and making us aware of XP 12 Fledersau; it looks like a nice boot and a good alternative. I do like the separate lacing/tightening of the lower and upper; it sounds a bit like the Alfa Free with its dual BOAs. I love the Skaget's ability to tightening the lower, heel, and upper separately with it's simple traditional lacing and two locking hooks, but have to loosen all if I want to adjust how tight it is in the lower (and it is much slower than BOA).

Perhaps we'll get some boots with gaiter and external BOAs, kinda like on some randonee boots. I'm excited for the future of boots with the Xplore system, and maybe NNN-BC and perhaps even 75mm will get some benefit too.

Edit: Lundhags Abisku may be a good alternative in wet snow, with the cell rubber lower. Utemagasinet was very happy with the BC-version (10/10 score).

fledersau
Ski style: BC XC/D ex. Telemark 75mm, Snowboardcross and Alpine Skier
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62
Favorite boots: Rossignol XP12 and BC X7

Post by fledersau » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:37 pm

Thanks @telerat

Lately i had the chance to try on a lot of different Xplore boots and i'm starting to realize what kind of a boot the Rossignol is.
Last week i tried à Alfa Free and a Fischer Transnordic Xplore and this week i tried an Alpina Alaska XP and i have to say that the Alaska XP (which ressembles alot to the Skaget, with maybe a little softer sole) is clearly much softer than all the others. I'd even go as far as to say that the XP12 almost has the same side to side stability as the Fischer (which is much higher) and not far less than the Alfa Free. Which surprises and impresses me.

I'll post a comparison off all those boots i had on my feet (some on ski and some only in shop) this winter, to maybe help the onlinebuyers find the good one.

Vrasho

Post by Vrasho » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:39 pm

Hijacking old thread for question about the length of Rossignol xp12. How is it lengthwise? Got really bad experiences between different manufacturers, there is maybe like 1cm difference between size 45 boots.