Fischer E89 Crown

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Fischer E89 Crown

Post by bgregoire » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:42 pm

MikeK wrote:Sometimes the mind distorts things when the memory is foggy... such is the case here. I want to revise some of my comparison to the Glittertind as I skied them today over the exact same terrain. Warm temps warranted waxless skis for everyone...

The difference in turning along a trail, not descending a hill, is not that great. Being on the Glitts in the same tight woods as I last skied the E89s, the Glitts did not feel any better or worse. I actually found that they felt MORE DIFFICULT to slide into an angled diagonal stride than the E89 was i.e. turning the ski going slow in one direction or another by sliding into a telemark. I have no idea why that may be. Conditions perhaps? I'm not sure.

Turning using a stem or parallel turn seems much easier on the Glitts on consolidated snow. It's easier to flatten the camber and power the ski. This is where the Glitts felt superior. I'm guessing based on my previous experience skiing these down steeper stuff in powder the Glitt would be superior. The E89 I think would be far too stiff to reverse flex.

The Glitts feel almost dead compared to the E89 - by that I mean the soft camber. The lack of pop off a kick is apparent after skiing the E89.

The Glitts do not glide near as well. They vary depending on the snow like any waxless ski but the felt especially slow compared to the last E89 outing.

Another thing I inflated in my mind - the grip of the Glitt. I was slipping today just like I would with the E89. I think it's just a function of skiing on beat up trail. I'd have to test this more thoroughly with the E89. From what I can muster from today they seem similar.

I did not feel any more stable on relatively easy terrain in beat snow on the Glittertind. The difference is negligible.

Where the rubber meets the road: I believe I had more fun skiing the E89 than the Glittertind over the same terrain.

Off the ski and to the binding - I do not feel any more or less stable with the 3 pin vs the NNN BC. The difference in the stride is apparent, but it doesn't bother me that much. I'm able to get a hard push and lunge with either binding setup. I'm able to drive my forward foot into a turn the direction I want to go. I can definitely feel which one I'm on but I really have to think about it on either to make a distinction in either ski control or stride.

Sounds like somewhere curing himself from the fat craze and enjoying self-powering himself to speed on skinnies! Way to go! By the way, keep us posted as you trim your Madshus quiver, I'm interested in an Annum 185 and and Epoch for those days I want to go up and down....
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM