Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
snowrunner

Re: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by snowrunner » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll look this.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:39 pm

You mean the tongue right? Right above the ankle?

For whatever stupid reason the Alaska is really bulky there. I usually tie mine and it kind of looks a little lumpy in that spot but it's a bit loose there.

I think I also thought this would be more of a concern than it is, but one I started skiing with them I forgot all about it.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:31 pm

I noticed the tongue thing too: farting around in the house, the tongue uncomfortably bunches up and causes discomfort. I was concerned. Once I got out on the snow and started skiing, I did not notice ANY discomfort or bunching in the tongue, like MikeK mentioned. These boots are very comfortable with stiff soles and soft uppers. Confidence inspiring and amazingly comfortable: just what I was looking for. Great advice in this thread!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Some photos of my Alaskas in the midst of their third season- just spot-treated the flex points after today's tour.

Today the rough edge of the tongue has finally worm through the boot's inner lining- a minor repair.

Over 2000kms in this pair.
P1020327.JPG
P1020326.JPG
P1020325.JPG
P1020324.JPG
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:09 pm

This procedure works for me with lacing up the Alaska- and snugs up the tongue (I use the same procedure with my leather mountaineering/logging boots with a lace cleat):

1) tighten laces to personal-fit up to the cleats (train the tongue and the tongue-fabric creases every time)
2) put on boot- ensure laces are secured in the cleats
3) firmly pull up on tongue to eliminate any slack below the cleat
4) tighten laces to first hook- then make a surgeon's (double-cross) knot
5) firmly pull up on tongue to eliminate any slack below the knot
6) lace up to the top and complete with another surgeon's knot and double knot
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:20 pm

I've put in probably 25 miles or so on my Alaska NNNBCs. I'm VERY impressed with the comfort AND performance of these boots. They do NOT feel like typical leather boots. They perform very well for both K+G and turns. To me, these boots feel pretty similar to the Excursions in some ways: both are supportive and offer good performance while being pretty soft. I had no problem turning Rossi BC65s with them (yes, a little overkill for those skis.) Compared to Rossi X2 NNN-BC boots, they are like night and day. I'm excited to try the Alaskas with the Asnes USGI skis: I think/hope they will be a good match.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Good to hear!

I really think those floppin' boots are killing NNN-BC. Once you get in a good boot you realize how good it can be. That boot certainly changed my mind about NNN bindings.

All this squwakin' about binding stiffness doesn't mean jack if you have a wet dish rag around your foot.

jooleyen

Post by jooleyen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:43 pm

I want to like these boots since I have them in a few sizes for testing...but no matter the size, my heel slips. Is there any simple modification I can do? Is this because they're for wide heels or what? Also, will these stretch at all lengthwise? If I can get rid of the heel slippage, I'm not sure whether to get the pair that always slightly pinches my toes, or the one that pinches my toes only when I flex the boot in a certain way.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:34 pm

jooleyen wrote:I want to like these boots since I have them in a few sizes for testing...but no matter the size, my heel slips. Is there any simple modification I can do? Is this because they're for wide heels or what? Also, will these stretch at all lengthwise? If I can get rid of the heel slippage, I'm not sure whether to get the pair that always slightly pinches my toes, or the one that pinches my toes only when I flex the boot in a certain way.
My heel slips ever so slightly in these boots. Never once have I blistered though. Are you getting blisters?

Also how are you tying them? If you leave the bottom section below the lace lock a little looser that will take some pressure off your toes on the width. Then you can really crank the ankle section to minimize the slippage.

How is the toe pinch? In the width or in the height? If you are getting a pinch in the height then that's no good, there might be a little when you flex fully forward, but too much will most likely blister you as you're are striding. A little tightness in the width isn't bad as long as you don't cramp up.

Are you still using the stock inserts? If so, DON'T. They friggin' suck. Get some high quality ones for a athletic store or have some molded to your feet by a boot fitter at a ski shop. That can alleviate a lot of issues with your foot moving around and help you decide which size is right for you.

If you still have issues with your heel, you might be able to add some boot foam under the heel and raise it up a bit. The will put more pressure on your instep. You might cramp up, so you'll have to play with that.

What it sounds like to me is you have a low volume foot, and this boot is relatively high volume, so shimming up with either a thicker insert, or getting a good insert and adding foam may bring the volume more to the size of your foot. I suspect the heel is not the issue, it's actually the area opposite being too loose.

jooleyen

Post by jooleyen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:10 pm

I haven't skied far enough for blisters but I'll give them another try. I tied them several different ways. The toe pinch is in length..I mean the boot is short enough to where my toes can contact the front. I'll try some of the stuff you talked about. Thanks for the tips.