NNNBC-Magnum

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
LooseHeel

Re: NNNBC-Magnum

Post by LooseHeel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:31 pm

that's good info
Last edited by LooseHeel on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:32 pm

Looseheels - I think that is a good guess. Personally my thought is the max I'd go is like 65-70mm. Some people go more. An Eon is 62mm in the waist and I think that ski feels perfect with the NNN BC Magnum. When I first started skiing BC Nordic I thought that was crazy, but now that I've really tried it and skied some intermediate terrain with it, my mind has changed.

I don't see any reason for a low end. If you are using a metal edged, BC ski, it should accept the regular NNN BC plate no problem.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 am

I am using NNNBC on everything from the Madshus Annum (109-78-95mm) to narrow, stiff, classic track skis.

Everything about the NNNBC is bigger and more rugged than the track-oriented NNN: more rugged toe bar housings, longer toe bar, larger diameter toe bar, longer, wider and more rugged ridge plates, wider base plates, thicker base plates, rugged binding levers, etc,

The toe bar housing of the NNNBC-auto is light-duty and prone to icing up.

To date- I have used NNNBC as a backcountry-telemark binding on gentle to moderate terrain- with only the occasional very steep- but relatively short- descent. I have yet to use my NNNBC setup in very steep mountainous terrain (where I have traditionally used 75mm 3pc). I am considering it for next winter's trips...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:45 am

lilcliffy wrote:I am considering it for next winter's trips...
Planning on visiting Québec, the Chic-Chocs? What kind of trip? I have always done all the hut to hut trips using NNNBC and skinnies (E99). Overall, I've enjoyed the combo as I have been skiing for several years and while they are some tricky passes, there are a lot of flat bits and unfortunately a lot of snowmobile tracks. For the traversée de charlevoix, I would consider larger skis and probably 3 pin...
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

LooseHeel

Post by LooseHeel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:44 am

interesting
Last edited by LooseHeel on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:16 am

LooseHeels wrote:So it seems NNN-BC is quite a bit sturdier than NNN. The idea of having one pair of xc boots for both backcountry and groomed track is appealing.
You can go that way, I sometimes go on track with my lightest BC skis and NNN BC Boots. Its not the same experience though as the light track specific skis and boots. I would rather recommend investing in the good stuff for the BC and finding a real cheap deal on race track skis and boots, even tif they are 25 years old, they will be more fun on the tracks.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

LooseHeel

Post by LooseHeel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Good info to know, thanks.
Do the boots feel too stiff for xc groomed track?

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:37 pm

LooseHeels wrote:Good info to know, thanks.
Do the boots feel too stiff for xc groomed track?
Depends which boot you go for! tracks skis have little if any ankle support and have a relatively soft forward flex for optimal K&G. It's a good idea to test boots you have and or are shopping for by simply flexing the boot in different directions, you will soon figure out the difference in boot models and their effects on both K&G and downhill control that way. Actually, we could say a lot of the newer BC boots (Fischer BCX6, Alpina 1650, etc.) are beefed up versions of combi boots( hybrid between the stiffer ski skating boot designs with plastic cuffs and softer soled classic ski boots). A boot like Fischer Offtrack 3 or other less beefy similar NNN BC soled boots should provide the best K&G but lousy downhill control. There are always surprises though. For example, I hand flexed the double "buckle" Rossignol BCX11 and BCX12 (the update of BCX12) 75mm boots yesterday and was shocked at the difference between the forward flex of the two. The BCX11 is sooooo much softer, yet has tons of ankle support. The BCX11 therefore sounds better for trips with longer flat areas and some steeps (perhaps backcountry touring) while the BCX12 might perform better on generally steeper terrain (truer XCD boot). Of the two, I would go for the BCX12 regardless though as I have found the BCX11 to be poorly built and the BCX12 seems to have corrected the issues I know of. Hope that helps a little!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:10 am

bgregoire wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:I am considering it for next winter's trips...
Planning on visiting Québec, the Chic-Chocs? What kind of trip? I have always done all the hut to hut trips using NNNBC and skinnies (E99). Overall, I've enjoyed the combo as I have been skiing for several years and while they are some tricky passes, there are a lot of flat bits and unfortunately a lot of snowmobile tracks. For the traversée de charlevoix, I would consider larger skis and probably 3 pin...
Hi Ben,

My wife and I love skiing in the Gaspe (including the Chic-Chocs), as well as the Laurentians (north of the St. Lawrence River- especially the Saguenay area). In the past we have made two trips per winter- one to the Gaspe mountains; the other to the Laurentians (usually with a quick stopover in Quebec city- for the food and drink! :D ).

We haven't been on a Quebec ski trip since the winter of 2011-2012. Our youngest 2 children are both under 3 years old- we don't get out much at this point. We are starting to hope that our youngest will be ready for us to leave them and go on a trip by next winter (2015-2016).

We are in love with Quebec- in general. If we could both work in forestry in Quebec (my french has deteriorated- my wife doesn't speak french)- my wife would have us move to Quebec permanently. We have vacationed in Quebec in all seasons- we love backpacking almost as much as backcountry skiing! :D
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

LooseHeel

Post by LooseHeel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:23 am

interesting information
Last edited by LooseHeel on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.