2024 Alpina Pioneer TECH XP Backcountry/Telemark ski boot review XPLORE

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Re: 2024 Alpina Pioneer TECH XP Backcountry/Telemark ski boot review XPLORE

Post by Theme » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:58 pm

Thanks for the detailed post, @Johnny

The box seemed curiously large for a pair of boots :twisted: if you've got a size 42 in there as well and want to get rid of them, I'll sure take them off your hands if you're allowed and don't need them. Happen to be in the States atm

I got the Pioneer Pros for a thru-ski of Norway I am planning next season, but the Tech may actually fit the need better as Norway is a bit more mountaineous than I am most used to. Just not sure if these will be available by December. Probably not if the same holds true as with the Pioneer Pro. Any extra support would be appreciated when carrying a pack. Elites would probably be amazingly light but possibly not warm enough. Going to have to try all three 8-)

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:52 pm

Hoping to see this boot in a 44 soon. I’ve been looking but no success yet…

fledersau
Ski style: BC XC/D ex. Telemark 75mm, Snowboardcross and Alpine Skier
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62
Favorite boots: Rossignol XP12 and BC X7

Post by fledersau » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:52 pm

In Québec there is a shop who has them... I tried them on today!
https://www.demersbicycles.com/us/botte ... -2024.html

I'd say sizewise they run like Alaska XPs, on the smaller and slimmer side...

Theme

Post by Theme » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:21 am

fledersau wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:52 pm
In Québec there is a shop who has them... I tried them on today!
https://www.demersbicycles.com/us/botte ... -2024.html

I'd say sizewise they run like Alaska XPs, on the smaller and slimmer side...
Thanks for your input! I have not even had the chance to try my Pioneer Pro yet and here I am drooling over these... only a 20g difference in weight, but these seem much more supportive? Can you comment on that, compared to Alaska (which I also have)? Any difference in insulation?

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:44 pm

So I bit the bullet and ordered from Demers Bicycle. Shipping was insanely fast, just took a few days.

So, onto the boot. I ordered a size 44 (my usual size). It’s definitely not a loose fit (my Fischers are roomier). I’ll be skiing a thin sock with these, if there’s any need for something warmer I’ll swap out (or completely lose) the insole. Alpina insole is about 4mm thick at the toe, there’s thinner to be found.

I’ve been enjoying the Fischers in colder temperatures but when it warmed up my feet got way to warm. It’s my hope that I’ll find a good balance having the Alpinas to choose from.

I wore them around the house for a couple of hours, they are indeed a lightweight boot and my feet remained comfortable. The fit is good, my feet felt cupped, and I felt a sense of awareness/placement walking around the house/yard/stairs. Using truck analogies, the Transnordic feels like an F-250, the Pioneer is a Raptor.

Seriously need some snow to try these out, might have to go for a drive next week to find some.

The Pioneers- size 44
IMG_7817.jpeg
Comparing size 44 Fischer BCX Transnordic to Pioneer
IMG_7818.jpeg
IMG_7819.jpeg
There’s a 300 gram/.66 pound difference in weight per boot.

Theme

Post by Theme » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:12 pm

Looking good @Inspiredcapers

Mine will arrive later next week, but need to wait another few weeks until I can ski them. Apparently Sport Conrad only had one pair in my size. Also heard that only orders made in the spring were possible, Alpina must not have made many of the boots yet

fledersau
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62

Post by fledersau » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:39 am

@Theme I'd say yes,they have really more support than the alaska XP. And more than the Alfa Skaget as well...
Especially lateral support is much stronger, fore aft a little bit. I think this is a good all around boot for people who want controll on the downhills but something that XCs better than an alfa free or an Rossi XP12...

fledersau

Post by fledersau » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:41 am

@Inspiredcapers Cool! It's always funny to see the Pioneer next to the Fischer boot...Hard to believe they are the same size...

Theme

Post by Theme » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:00 pm

fledersau wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:39 am
@Theme I'd say yes,they have really more support than the alaska XP. And more than the Alfa Skaget as well...
Especially lateral support is much stronger, fore aft a little bit. I think this is a good all around boot for people who want controll on the downhills but something that XCs better than an alfa free or an Rossi XP12...
Exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks!

Theme

Post by Theme » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:22 pm

Yess, my Pioneer Tech arrived!

Size is 42. Weight 676g per boot. That is 10g less per boot comparwd to my size 42 Pioneer Pros!

There is slightly more volume for the toes, height wise. I can feel significantly more support for the ankle, however not as much as I hoped for. Not as stiff as Alfa Free or Crispi Futura Pro. Still very stiff. Sole is soft, and I feel as reported before, they feel softer than Alasko or Pioneer. However I think this is due to the fabric upper.

There is some pinching at the toes. But not significant, it will soften up. I could get away with size 41 on these boots. I have gone +1 size on Alpinas to accommodate warmer socks and vapor barriers. If only there was a size 41,5.

I had no trouble getting my foot in these. Same size opening as Alaska and Pi Pro.

Heel again is something between Pi Pro and Alaska XP. Slightly more space than in Pi Pro, whereas Alaska has a very spacious heel cup.

I do get a bit of pinching around my shin as the shaft is high. I expect this to not be a problem when I wear the boots in. With Alaskas I also had this but a bit worse so they did not fit me. Pi Pro in the other hand was most comfortable of the three for me, if only there was as much toe volume as on the Tech.

I presume I will be bringing the Pi Tech on my Norge på Langs attempt this winter, and have the Pi Pro as backup. Heck, I might end up trying both. Still need to do testing before I choose.