XPlore boots comparison

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Re: XPlore boots comparison

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:25 pm

I’ve skied the Pioneer Pro, Alpha Free, and Fischer BCX Traverse now- all size 44. I’m 6’, 215ish pounds, and aggressive in the snow.

The Pioneer- this is a seriously nice boot. Lightweight, good flexibility, stiff enough to give a sense of control. Taking out the insole gave me needed roominess, may try a thin insole. Feels very light on the feet. Really easy to get on the forefoot and feel connected to the ski (MR48 skin and NATO). Currently my favourite xcd boot…correction, simply the best boot I’ve ever had.

The Alpha- pretty comfortable. Seems stiffer than the Pioneer. Boa is awesome to play with. Leaving the shank Boa a little loose made for better kickability/striding. Pretty roomy inside. Stiffer than the Pioneer, a bit tougher to get that nice forefoot plant (still doable though).

The BCX Traverse- most interior room of the 3 boots. Also the heaviest. And the warmest. This is the boot you’ll want when it’s -20C and you’re playing in the snow for a few hours. I’m not saying it’s cumbersome but compared to the other 2 boots it’s definitely not svelte.
Last edited by Inspiredcapers on Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:51 am

Howdy,

Question would I gain much control with the Free versus Vista on my Sbound 98 when going downhill? My only concern with I hear the Free has a slightly narrower toe box then Vista.

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:07 pm

I have not skied either boot but have tried bothof them on, and I think yes. I felt a noticeable difference in stiffness, in every direction, from Vista to Free in carpet testing.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:33 am

@voilenerd I belive @Tom M can answer this question as he has both boots. You can also check out his Youtube channel where he has much info about these boots: https://www.youtube.com/@tomm9850

I have only tested the boots in shop, and the Free feels much more supportive. They are quite different boots for different use I think. I really want to buy a pair of the Free, but am worried that it will crush my toes when bending the knee for telemark turns.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:17 pm

I don't have the Vista XP, but I do have the Guard BC (same boot, different sole)-
I do have the Free XP-

While the sole of the Vista XP could well be stiffer and more stable than the soft, floppy Guard BC-
the upper of the Free XP is much more supportive and higher than the Vista/Guard.
In fact, the upper of the Skaget is more supportive and higher than the Vista/Guard.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:27 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:25 pm
I’ve skied the Pioneer Pro, Alpha Free, and Fischer BCX Traverse now- all size 44. I’m 6’, 215ish pounds, and aggressive in the snow.

The Pioneer- this is a seriously nice boot. Lightweight, good flexibility, stiff enough to give a sense of control. Taking out the insole gave me needed roominess, may try a thin insole. Feels very light on the feet. Really easy to get on the forefoot and feel connected to the ski (MR48 skin and NATO). Currently my favourite xcd boot…correction, simply the best boot I’ve ever had.

The Alpha- pretty comfortable. Seems stiffer than the Pioneer. Boa is awesome to play with. Leaving the shank Boa a little loose made for better kickability/striding. Pretty roomy inside. Stiffer than the Pioneer, a bit tougher to get that nice forefoot plant (still doable though).

The BCX Traverse- most interior room of the 3 boots. Also the heaviest. And the warmest. This is the boot you’ll want when it’s -20C and you’re playing in the snow for a few hours. I’m not saying it’s cumbersome but compared to the other 2 boots it’s definitely not svelte.
What are your thoughts on the fit of the Pioneer Pro?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:17 am

Hey John,

I’m liking the fit of the Pro, they move with me, not against me. I’d almost call it a supple feeling. What’s interesting is there’s no sense of sloppiness in the fit or movement of this boot…they’re supportive and responsive as well…they’re the ski boot version of my VivoBareFoot Tracker FG’s that are a great boot for minimalist footwear types. Adjustments with lacing seems easy enough, I don’t really cinch my feet down as I prefer a slightly more relaxed fit but it’s pretty easy to snug things down if needed for a long downhill stretch.

I did remove the insole for a bit more wiggle room and my feet remain comfortable after 4 hours use at this point (taking it slow, don’t want to risk blisters). I noticed the insole from my Fischers are noticeably thinner, I might try them in the Pros (and the Pro insoles in the Fischer, might help the touch of looseness I notice with the Fischer).

It’s hard to comment on warmth, the coldest I’ve worn them was -12C for a couple of hours so not really able to comment on all day warmth in cooler weather. I have noticed my feet haven’t been too hot or sweating at 0 to +3 when I’m skiing the skin skis for a couple of hours.

I like them enough that if I see them on sale I’d consider getting another pair.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:14 am

Inspiredcapers wrote:

Howdy, can I ask what size of foot you are in US shoes? By the way how do you like the Fischer on the downhill when compared to the other boots you tried?

Thanks

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:18 pm

voilenerd wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:14 am
Inspiredcapers wrote:

Howdy, can I ask what size of foot you are in US shoes? By the way how do you like the Fischer on the downhill when compared to the other boots you tried?

Thanks
I don’t think you can go by shoe size, it’s just too variable.
The only reliable way to compare size is by using a measurement system.
But, you can have two people where their feet measure the same length, but foot shape can be radically different, so they could never wear the same footwear as each other.
Low to high volume feet.
Low to high arch.
Low to high instep.
Narrow to wide forefoot.

I don’t mean to be negative — just trying to put shoe fit into perspective.
I think it helps to do some research on the internet to understand what your foot characteristics are, before looking for advice.

For example, before I started looking at leather ski boots, I just thought I had a wide foot.
Sort of true, as far as it goes, but I also have a high arch, fairly low volume, and what makes my feet “wide” is that my toes are not squished in, like a lot of peoples, so I need extra room in the toe box.

Maybe that size 44 would work for you, but you have a low volume foot, so need to fill up some of the extra volume with a foot bed?
I had to do that in my Alfa Guard.

RoJo
Ski style: XC-Touring, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer E99, Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Garmont Touring NN75 (discontinued)

Post by RoJo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:40 am

I am always surprised by the different aspects of these comparrisons as my personal experience is quite different in many ways. I do have a narrow, low arch foot and I do prefer a stiffer and especially torsionally stiff boot. My terrain and conditions is typical central scandinavian rolling terrain with the occasional mountain top thrown in. I am doing day tripping as well as multiday trips with pulks.
I own a Madshus Panorama and a Fischer BCX. I tried Alpina Alaskas and Pioneers in the past.
I got the best fit in the Mashus closely followed by the Fischer. The Alaskas were the worst, Pioneer somewhere inbetween. Regarding ski control I rank the Fischer the highest, follwed by Mashus, Alaska and the Pioneer definitly the weakest. This holds true for me with the NN75 versions of these boots (as far as available) as well.
Unforunately the Mashus has a lot of issues with a cracking rubber rand and excessive abbrasion on the cuff/gaitor.