Alfa Skaget Perform review 2021->

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Alfa Skaget Perform review 2021->

Post by telerat » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:58 pm

There has so far not been a review thread on Alfa Skaget Perform, so I will start one. I bought Skaget M (male) version in December of 2021 in size 41 and have used them for two years now. Last spring (March 2023) my wife bought a pair (W) in size 38.

Alfa Skaget Perform M is an Xplore exclusive boot and comes in sizes 40-48. The female version, Skaget Perform W, is lower volume and comes in sizes 36-42. Skaget is made with suede leather and a rubbery rand all around, but no Gore-Tex or similar membrane. Lacing is regular, but it has three eyelets on the shaft compared to two for many other boots. The shaft is quite high at 18 cm in size 43, even slightly higher than Alfa Free's 17 cm. Our boots are quite a bit lighter than stated on Alfa's web page; They says it weighs 865 grams in size 43, while mine in 41 is 710 grams. The women's version is listed as 735 grams in size 38, but my wife's weigh in at just 625 grams. Weight difference to her old Alpina Alaska is 265 grams per boot and is quite noticeable.

I ordered both the size suggested from Alfa's chart and the size below (42 and 41) and kept the smallest (41). I feel that they are quite roomy, especially compared to Alpina Alaska were I had to size up to 42. I have also tried a few of Alfa's female ski boots in my size and found them too small volume for me. My wife had Alpina Alaska 75 in 37 which had gotten too small and gave her pains under the foot. She also tried Alaska XP in 38 and 39, but liked Skaget in 38 the best.

I can fit two pairs of socks in my boots, a Smartwool Trekking Heavy and Medium and get a tight/precise fit, but I have only used one pair of socks when skiing. The supplied insole is approximately 4mm thick in front under the toes were the volume is limited in case anyone used custom/no-original insoles.

The shoe was sufficiently warm for me in temperatures down to at least -15°C with one pair of Smartwool Hiking Heavy Crew, but I do not have much trouble with cold feet nor hands. They also seems to be fine with my wife, which freezes easily. If you need something warmer look at Lundhags, Alfa Outback or Polar, or Crispi Svalbard. Alfa Vista is warmer according to Alfa, but Utemagasinet listed Skaget as warmer in their test.

There is an Skaget impressions thread here: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4642
and some of this will be a repeat of what I have written there and elsewhere, as well as some new.

The padding on the sides of the heel and ankle joint felt excessive at first and not very comfortable, but when laced up it is very comfortable and stable. The heel pocket is narrower than my previous boots, but works well. I usually do not have any problems with blisters and Skaget is also good. My wife often have blisters, but Skaget seems to be among the best boots she has. The rear of the heel almost without padding though, so I recommend a thick sock for comfort.

The lacing is very good and you can adjust tension both in the lower/front, middle/heel and upper/ankle separately. I usually have no troubles lacing up any shoe, but I really like Skaget. The extra upper eyelet on the shaft enables lacing for quite a bit of extra support compared to many other boots. The only lacing upgrade would be the ball eyelets from Vista. The lower was quite stiff in the beginning, so the very front was harder to tighten up, but I got it tight enough for me. I have tightened the laces hard for decent to get a very precise and supportive fit, and although comfortable I would not ski that for longer distances up or flat.

The leather has roughed up a bit, so loose snow can/will stick to it and they need treatment. It is no problem when it is freezing, but last easter when loose snow accumulated on them and melted, my feet got damp. The leather was waterproof when new and I waded water with them without any problems. The Xplore sole is showing signs of wear under the pins and durability remains to be seen, but I have hiked on gravel, stone and asphalt with them. The sole is standard Xplore, supplied by Rottefella and looks exactly the same as on all Xplore boots (except for the rubber color on some of them), so this specific to Xplore and not to Skaget.

The support is especially good, but it does not seem to hinder good kick and glide performance either. I think the thick shaft/heel padding is the reason for this. Skaget is the best pure leather boot I have experienced and I have trouble seeing how either performance could be increased without affecting the other (perhaps apart from totally different boot with separate kick/glide and downhill mode). I'm very happy with Alfa Skaget and it fits my use very well. A smooth leather boot with membrane would be more water resistant, but it would probably also be more expensive and stiffer/more uncomfortable when new. Skaget is among the most inexpensive ski boots available for xcd/backcountry skiing, at least here in Norway, with price at 69% of Alpina Alaska XP.

I have used Skaget with a remounted older pair of Fischer E109(TN82 now), a new mounted Asnes Ousland and nordic/touring skates, as well as for hiking and biking to and from skating. I am very happy with them so far and even bought a pair in reserve on very good spring sale this year, because if they break down it would be a catastrophe for me. My wife has used hers with an old pair of Fischer E99(TN66 now) and one tour on new Asnes Falketind 62s, and is so far very happy with both boots, bindings and skis.

Rottefella Xplore is new system and durability remains to be seen, but so far I am very happy with Alfa Skaget and the Xplore binding. I have previously used 75mm for about 30 years, both 3-pin and cable, but as my boots were worn out I switched. Xplore binding/system review:
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4071

Picture of my Alfa Skaget when they were new:
Alfa_Skaget_touring_skates.jpg
Edits to clarify and correct spelling errors.
Last edited by telerat on Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Alfa Skaget Perform review 2021->

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:51 pm

@telerat
Excellence. Thank you!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fledersau
Ski style: BC XC/D ex. Telemark 75mm, Snowboardcross and Alpine Skier
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62
Favorite boots: Rossignol XP12 and BC X7

Post by fledersau » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:46 pm

Thank you! nice review!
It's interesting to hear that in Norway the Skaget is Cheaper than a Alaska XP, here in Canada it's almost 300$ more expensive...

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:06 pm

Love this boot.
Light, flexible, yet stable and supportive.
PXL_20240127_234415422.MP.jpg

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:33 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 am
telerat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:13 am
....but I really like Skaget...The only lacing upgrade would be the ball eyelets from Vista for less friction.
👍🏽👍🏽
A smooth surface for snow shedding and a membrane is the only upgrades I would want from such a boot.
Have you treated the leather yet? If you treat the leather with a water-based cream it will smooth out and become hydrophobic. At this point I am kinda pleased that the Skaget does not have a waterproof-breathable liner (eg goretex)- I am hoping that with deligent leather treatment the Skaget will be fine without it...So far, so good...

I am not a huge fan of built-in liners (ie membrane) in boots...I'm not convinced that they work effectively in very cold weather, and over time oils and sweat-salt build up in them and undermine their effectiveness at warmer temperatures...

From my experience with my Lundhags and Skaget boots- I don't think I need boots with a waterproof-breathable liner/membrane...
I have not treated Skaget yet, but will have to and plan to do so. From you picture above it looks to saturate the leather well. It should solve water proofing and be renewable, unlike a punctured Gore-Tex (or similar) membrane. Do you treat the textile fabric too?

Does the treatment help with accumulation of snow on the boot too? Loose snow stuck to my boots and later the sun melted it and the leather got wet. Thus my desire for a smooth surface. Parts of the fabric on Alfa Free feels nice in that way, but from it seems too stiff to make a nice flexing boot out of. I also wonder about the long term durability when flexed or worn against crust.

I have read that breathability of leather/hiking boots almost non existent, and I tend to believe that on boots with a liner and thick leather. If so the membrane is to prevent water ingress and does not need breathability. I have considered buying a pair of Lundhags Abisku Expedition for the fully waterproof lower, but am unsure of my need. Perhaps a wet spring will convince me otherwise some day.
Last edited by telerat on Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 am

telerat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:33 pm
I have not treated Skaget yet, but will have to and plan to do so. From you picture above it looks to saturate the leather well. It should solve water proofing and be renewable, unlike a punctured Gore-Tex (or similar) membrane. Do you treat the textile fabric too?
I haven't treated the textile fabric yet...I am thinking of trying Fjallraven's PFC-free DWR spray...
the textile fabric may be the deal breaker though- having hydrophobic leather won't help much if the fabric ends up soaking up water in wet snow!
The other issue I have been consideing is the fabric stitched rand- the rand may also be a place for water to seep into the boot...
Does the treatment help with accumulation of snow on the boot too? Loose snow stuck to my boots and later the sun melted it and the leather got wet. Thus my desire for a smooth surface.
Yes- effectively treated, the leather will be completely hydrophobic.
I have read that breathability of leather/hiking boots almost non existent, and I tend to believe that on boots with
a liner and thick leather. If so the membrane is to prevent water ingress and does not need breathability.
Yes- completely agree here.
I am not a fan of the materials- from an environmental perspective (eg goretex)- in liners...Would be nice not to need one...
I have considered buying a pair of Lundhags Abisku Expedition for the fully waterproof lower, but am unsure of my need. Perhaps a wet spring will convince me otherwise some day.
Well- Lundhags has this truly dialed in and figured out.
Their traditional boots have no liner of any kind-
If the leather is maintained- the boot is completely waterproof.
If one's foot gets wet due to sweat- change socks (and liner in the winter/ski boot)- good to go.
Even if one gets water inside the boot- from wading or falling into water- simply dump out the water; change socks (and liner)- good to go- as the boot itself will not absorb water.
I don't think I will ever go back to a conventional leather boot for my fieldwork- Lundhags is it.
Now- Lundhags just needs to make chainsaw boots...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:41 am

Also-
I have been apply leather cream to the rand- and especially the rand stitching- hoping that it will treat the leather underneath and keep water out...

reborntelemark
Ski style: Telemark

Post by reborntelemark » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:26 pm

I wrote my own little review of the Åsnes FTX, Rottefella Xplore bindings and the Alfa Skaget boot in the Falketind Xplore review:
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 140#p68785