Asnes USGI Combat Skis

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Desmo

XCD Enthusiast

Re: Asnes USGI Combat Skis

Postby Desmo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am

I just ordered two pairs of the 210's! This thread, and lcliffy's thread on waxing just pushed me to buy these!

I have been kicking around getting a pair of 78's, but I already have all sorts of kick wax, corks, scrapers, klister, glide wax, and an iron....so these were kind of a no brainer for me. Much cheaper too!

I have an old pair of E99's for days when I feel like waxless might be a better choice too.

I'll probably get a 3 pin 75mm binding for one pair now, and might get some NNN-BC for the second pair. That would require new boots too.

lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

Postby lilcliffy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Sounds like wicked fun!!

The 3-pin will obviously allow a burly Telemark boot on this ski if you want to ski some serious terrain with it.

I have NNNBC on this ski- which limits the boot power- but, I am using this ski primarily for XC skiing.

This ski is too heavy for any serious downhill skiing with an NNNBC boot.

Cool- let us know how you make out!
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

Postby lilcliffy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:32 pm

niles wrote:I just got a pair of these in a 210 length, which weigh 3200g give or take. My question is what kind of binding will work best with these skis; am leaning towards NNN BC but worry they are not heavy duty enough given the weight of the ski. Alternately a 75mm binding, though would have to then get the boots. Any thoughts?

Hey Niles,

Not sure if I was clear in my response to you.

The USGI ski is quite heavy and stiff.

My experience is this-

Currently, NNNBC boots are limited to the XC end of the XCD/Telemark spectrum- therefore, one needs a very light, reasonably narrow ski to do any serious downhill skiing with an NNNBC setup.

So- if you want to do any serious downhill skiing with this ski, I recommend a 3-pin binding and a Telemark boot.
Gareth
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

niles

XCD Enthusiast

Postby niles » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 pm

OK thx; I don't do downhill but rather back country explorations with an occasional foray into prepared tracks. I do have some questions re boot fit, posted separately under subject "NNNBC boot for wide feet". Input welcome!

Desmo

XCD Enthusiast

Postby Desmo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:58 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Sounds like wicked fun!!

The 3-pin will obviously allow a burly Telemark boot on this ski if you want to ski some serious terrain with it.

I have NNNBC on this ski- which limits the boot power- but, I am using this ski primarily for XC skiing.

This ski is too heavy for any serious downhill skiing with an NNNBC boot.

Cool- let us know how you make out!

I'll be primarily xc skiing on these as well. I think I'd throw on a touring 3 pin binding.....not a telemark binding.
I'd likely pick up a manual nnnbc binding for the second set, and find a pair of decent boots on sale for those.

I'll be sure to post once I get them, and get a few runs in!

Desmo

XCD Enthusiast

Postby Desmo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:54 am

I just got an email shipping confirmation... my skis are being delivered tomorrow!!

I ended up getting a set of nnn bc bindings, and a pair of Fischer bcx6 boots on a very good sale. The boots are last year's model, so they're trying to move them.

Boots are pretty stiff, but I know these skis are on the heavy side. Are these boots a good match for the USGI skis?

Getting some snow in New England today.... looking forward to giving these a go!

Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

Postby lilcliffy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:06 pm

That boot, binding and ski combination is wicked- you will love it- fast, smooth, snappy and stable.

Desmo

XCD Enthusiast

Postby Desmo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 pm

lilcliffy wrote:That boot, binding and ski combination is wicked- you will love it- fast, smooth, snappy and stable.

Awesome! Thanks man....sooo looking forward to these!

Return to “Community Ski Reviews”