Asnes MT65 (USGI) Combat Skis

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Desmo

Re: Asnes USGI Combat Skis

Post by Desmo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks man.....Going to hot wax them today. All our snow should be gone today though....

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Asnes MT65 (USGI) Combat Skis

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:35 am

Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Hello all,
I live within sight of Lake Superior a few miles up the shore from Duluth Minnesota. I've been lurking here for a few years, I think i came across the forum while discovering the sweet USGI ski deal. I picked up 2 pairs and mounted one with Rotte magnums and the other with Viole's with removable cables. Fun skis that I like to try different things with. Because the cost was so low I'm willing to experiment with these. My latest hair brained scheme is to router out an opening in front of the wax pocket that mimics Fisher's Easy Skin mounting hole. Then seal the exposed wood. A thinner mohair skin for performance k&g and a fat nylon one for towing a toboggan in the BWCA. I searched the forum for this mod, but didn't see it. I would love any feedback before I attempt it! I gotta think this ski will still be plenty strong. I have 2 skin skis the longer Hoks and some Madshus Fjelltech M50's. The Madshus' are a touring track ski for me with some off track and i really like the almost kick wax feel and speed of the recessed skin. I wonder about the performance of a skin like the easy skin that sits on top?
I enjoy the passion and wealth of knowledge on this forum!
Will

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:48 pm

@wabene, I though of it myself. I would seal with liquid epoxy. Do it!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:33 am

Ok, I'm ready to break out the router and make that Fisher slot. I'm going to my friend's house to determine the slot dimensions. Then I just need to figure out the wax pocket. I've been adjusting the the wax pocket for conditions and just figuring out the ski for me, so I am unsure of where to start the skin attachment point. Any ideas?

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:38 am

lilcliffy, after five years, are you still skiing these bad boys? How have the sidewalls and top sheets held up?

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:38 pm

I've been using the same 2 pair continuously since 2001, with no damage or wear other than minor cosmetic scuffs and the usual base/edge damage from "operator error". No delams of the tops, sides, bases. One pair of these skis has hundreds of miles on them.
Ok, well I have a couple of other pair that I've only used a few times each, and they are in fine shape too.
The camber on all of these skis seems very consistent and predictable pair to pair in the same size--of course I've no way to actually measure that, more anecdotal than anything else.
What bargains.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:18 pm

Mine showed up today- have the bindings on, waxed and ready to go...and fresh snow coming tonight :) Toughest decision is what to ski tomorrow- the NATO or the FT62...

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks for that, fgd135!