2015 Fischer S-Bound 98 Review S98

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: 2015 Fischer S-Bound 98 Review S98

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:40 pm

I just used my EZ-Skins on my 98's today and it was great. I was skiing up a hiking/ski trail and there's not room to zig-zag and it would either be a herringbone of a mile or so, or throw on my EZ-Skins. I slapped them on and marched straight up the trail. They still slip just a bit and they allow the flats and downs to move along quicker than full skins which was very, very nice. I pooh-poohed these before and but no longer. Lightweight, easy, they work, and I can take them off without taking off the skis. Recommended.

aquamogal

Post by aquamogal » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:47 pm

looking at the 2019 version of this ski I really want to tour and tele on a light set up. I got into this with a pair of 147 Hoks with 3 pin, scott excursions and asolo glissade 350. I want something with better glide that hok. I dig the feel of the glissade, I now have the bug. I really want a ski, binding, boot setup that fits with the Alpina Alaska or glissade, the scott exsursions are too heavy. So options are NNN BC, 3 pin cable. Doing backcoutry out the back door into the sand dunes for ups and downs and 12 miles of ungroomed trail .

I am 5'6 155lbs no gear, I guess 2 questions
1) if I go shorter than recommended will this help with less camber and make it turn better ?
2) I would like to start out with my asolo glissade 350 and 3 pin cable to see if i can turn the ski do you think its possible or just go with Alpina Alaska 75mm

Feedback ? Thanks

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:28 pm

aquamogal wrote: I am 5'6 155lbs no gear, I guess 2 questions
1) if I go shorter than recommended will this help with less camber and make it turn better ?
2) I would like to start out with my asolo glissade 350 and 3 pin cable to see if i can turn the ski do you think its possible or just go with Alpina Alaska 75mm

Feedback ? Thanks
1) the shorter ski will not have less camber (at least not based on my definition of camber)- but, you will certainly be able to squash, flex and pressure the camber of the shorter ski- making them easier to turn. The flipside is that with a less effective "wax"/traction pocket they will be slower and offer less effective XC glide.

2) I would definitely try them with the Glissade if you like the fit and feel of that boot. I honestly doubt that the Alaska 75 would be much different- the Alaska 75 has a very soft floppy sole, though it might lace up higher than the Glissade. (I actually find the Alaska NNNBC much more supportive than the 75mm version.)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:29 am

I would not go shorter on Sbound skis. They turn nicely, and the disadvantage would be more scale drag on glide.