Asnes Cecilie Skog 2015-2016 Skis Review (Cecilie BC)

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Asnes Cecilie Skog 2015-2016 Skis Review (Cecilie BC)

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:16 am

Asnes-Cecilie-Skog.jpg
Disclaimer: Ok, let's get this straight. I admit it, I bought those skis only because of Cecilie, it's no secret to anyone. They could have been fat, heavy or made by Black Diamond, I would have bought them anyway.

I always ski alone, far from civilization. I really enjoy the woods and the solitude. I like to contemplate the meditative silence of nature. I always say that for me, XCD is half skiing and half mediation. Sure, I do it for the downhill part, but the other half is just for being outside and enjoying God's gift. But yeah, sometimes, I feel like I could use a friend. The thought of having Cecilie skiing with me by my side everywhere really got me into Asnes skis. Very good marketing guys!

I was already looking for a good waxable skinny ski with edges. While I really enjoyed skiing the Glittertinds everywhere on the mountain, the camber is just a bit too stiff for ultimate downhill fun. So I started looking for a waxable version of the Glitts, but with a softer camber and a stiff flex. I knew Asnes was making a red version of the Skogs, but when I saw this year's orange model, I was sold. Alpina Alaskas and Asnes Skogs. Orangies and orangies. Me and Cecilie...

Asnes skis are really hard to find here in North America. And the Cecilie model is pretty much impossible to order or import. I was told by the Canadian distributor in Calgary that they can only order a limited amount of skis, and only once at the beginning of the season. They cannot order anything else after the initial order. Only two places in Canada are selling Asnes skis, none of them had the new Cecilies. Thanks to my friend MikeK, he was able to deal on the phone with Neptune to try to find me a pair. Despite his scientific worldview, he is quite a cool guy. I can't thank him enough. The thing is I didn't want the red 2014-2015 model. I'm very, very picky when it comes to skiing, especially when I drop 400$ on a pair of skis. I wanted the 2015-2015 orange model, with the orange P-Tex (not the black one) and the Cecilie Signature underneath the ski. Here I am, the only guy with Cecilie Skogs Orangies in Canada... (read: the luckiest guy... ; ) Thank you Mike!!!

The skis are *beautiful*. While almost all skis today are made in China, Asnes skis are still made in Norway. I tried to keep that out of my mind, being as neutral as possible, but when you hold Asnes skis in your hands, you realize what is a real high-quality ski. I don't have the right words, but the construction itself is impressive. Even the edges come already razor-sharp, something I have never seen before in a new pair of skis.

Yep, it's a girl ski. And it's a good thing, because I like girls, and I like skis:

Cecilie BC was developed in collaboration with the adventurer and ambassador Cecilie Skog. The sidecut and width makes the ski easy to turn and secures good flow abilities. It has solid steel edges and a moderate wax pocket adapted for girls. Optimized back country ski for girls who are fond of hiking or nordic touring, and it is delivered with Åsnes patented skinlock.
me-and-Cecilie.png
The Skogs are EXACTLY what I was looking for. A moderate camber, in the middle of a pure touring ski and a pure powder BC one. Not too stiff, not too soft. Sidecut: 76-56-66. They have pretty much the same waist as the Glittertinds, but with just a bit larger tip and tail to give them more sidecut. The flex is stiffer than the Glitts but the camber is softer. And just like them, they weight around 800g per ski.

I skied them everywhere. Groomed tracks, bottomless powder, steep BC, even on the steeps and the moguls at the downhill ski resort. Always on NNN-BC and Alaskas of course. They are definitely becoming my to-go ski. They are very easy to turn, much easier than the Glittertinds. They really grip on hard pack and groomers, I can almost carve them, and at the same time, they have a nice flex for deep powder. Did I mention they are beautiful? Me and Cecilie, I think it's forever.

I don't know if my waxing skills got really good after all these years, but gosh, those skis are FAST!!! Maybe the bases were structured to match the cold Norwegian snow, but they are definitely the fastest skis I ever tried. Maybe at 160lbs, they just have the perfect K&G camber for me. I bought the longest available model at 190cm. I could use another 10-15cm if they were available.

Oh, I have to admit something else too. After playing with Fischer's EasySkins, I somehow got back into the skin thing. With my old kicker skins, you would still have to mess around with a strap to fix the skin around your skis. But it's so easy with integrated skins that I find it almost fun, almost worth carrying them around. Asnes SkinLock integrated skin system looks even better. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the skins, but surprisingly, I'm pretty sure I will before the end of the season.

10/10, Perfect score. Seriously, how could a XCD setup possibly be sexier than this?
_IMG_02241.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Asnes Cecilie Skog 2015-2016 Skis Review (Cecilie BC)

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:52 am

Nice kit!

I have heard the Skog is the Nansen but softer cambered. Asnes skis are fast!

By the way, I recall that Dave "Pinnah" was not the biggest fan of that particular class of ski, I think he considered it too much of a compromise on all fronts. Glad to hear someone thinks differently (your goals are obviously different than his)!
Last edited by bgregoire on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:47 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:Seriously, how could a XCD setup possibly be sexier than this?
Orange kickerbockers!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:31 pm

What, Pinnah didn't like girls? 8-)

I don't see it as a compromise ski at all... It's actually the ski I've been looking for years... Remember? 8-)

A skinny downhill ski, with a camber soft enough for alpine resorts and just enough sidecut to turn easily on hard pack... Most other XCD skis tend to increase the camber around that width... I think from now on, I will only buy girls skis...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:44 pm

I have no idea why, but it makes me really happy that I was part of you getting these skis. But OTOH, I'm really worried they will ruin your marriage...

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:46 pm

I do not have any S-Bounds 78s... Only S-98's... The closest ski I have similar to the Skogs is the Glittertind, hence my comparison. The flex is about the same as my S98, the Skogs having a bit more camber. You still have to lift the weight of the uphill ski before turning to 'release' the camber, but a lot less than on the Glitts. The S-Bounds 98s do turn more easily than the Cecilies, not sure about the 78s as I guess they must be a bit more cambered...

Mike, if they ever ruin my marriage, I will simply send them back to you...
(You say you want a pair for your wife... But we all know you want it for yourself...) 8-)

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:21 pm

LoveJohnny wrote: Mike, if they ever ruin my marriage, I will simply send them back to you...
(You say you want a pair for your wife... But we all know you want it for yourself...) 8-)
Hrrrmmm... I actually do want a pair for myself but I think the Gamme (or Nansen) will fit me better... but I mean... the other day you did say you were going to bed with them!

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:53 pm

Great review. Thanks.

It gives those of us eager for more general info on Asnes skis - in english - alot to think about.

Tom

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:52 pm

great, now I want to order a pair of Nansens too! I'm somewhat heavier….would be all over Cecile if she came in 200-205cm. Nansens have sold out at Neptune for this year. that's good, as I blew my money on Gamme's anway. Will have to decide b/w Nansen and Breidablickk when I'm solvent again.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:26 am

LJ- our discussion about the integrated kicker skin width and camber/flex of the Skogs reminded me of your review.

As Ben pointed out the Skog is basically a softer flexing version of the Nansen (76-56-66mm).

As your observations confirm LJ- UTE magazine describe this ski as have a full-length, moderately-stiff, round, flex:
http://www.utemagasinet.no/Utstyr/TEST-Ski-for-fjellet

Their mention of the Nansen having a very low "wax pocket" at least suggests to me that this is another of these camber-and-a-half skis, with a very low, easy to control second camber. The description certainly reminds me of my Combat Natos/Ingstads.

"the wet dream for anyone doing telemark skiing"

I might "need" a Nansen. I must admit I would rather look at Cecile- but, I definitely weigh more than 60kg!

Until recently they were still making an expedition version of the Nansen that came in lengths to 220cm!!!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.