Bindings 101: Where to mount Telemark bindings (Part I)

The ultimate telemark knowledge base and encyclopedia. All you need to know about free-heel skiing. History, technical terms, glossary, how-to's and tips. Just the facts, no opinions. Your #1 place to start for everything tele.
Bohemian
Ski style: AT, telemark, BC, XC, snowboard (alpine)

Re: Bindings 101: Where to mount Telemark bindings (Part I)

Post by Bohemian » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:59 am

Question for Rossignol BC100 180cm, model year 2021 for mounting Voile Switchback:

These skis were originally mounted with NNN-BC.
There is a small red stripe about 3-4mm forward of the real balance point (as balanced on a scraper blade).
There is also a long line across the whole width of the ski in a position which could be intended boot center.
The old NNN-BC bindings were mounted with the bar line on the small red mark, so about 3-4mm forward of BP.
Now I want to mount Voile Switchback bindings on these for my own use. I'll use these skis mostly for touring for turns as I have other fjellski for distance touring.
What's the best mounting point for my use with the BC100?
Pin line on the small mark? Pin line on the real balance point? Or go for boot center?
Boots to be used: old Scarpa T2 (2 buckle + power strap) size EU41.
Anyone out here who has skied the Rossi BC100?
Thanks!
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Bindings 101: Where to mount Telemark bindings (Part I)

Post by Manney » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:10 am

The BC100 is a pretty conventional ski. No surprises, softer camber, reasonable area, good underfoot width etc.

So my choice would be equally conventional… toe OR pin line on the balance point. This gives you about 1” to play around with in case both skis’ balance points don’t exactly match, as happens. It also allows you to space out the binding holes from where the NNN BC ones were.

Such a mounting would probably give the best all round results touring, climbing, descending.
Go Ski