LilCliffy's Nordic Backcountry Touring Waxing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ullrsson
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Re: LilCliffy's Nordic Backcountry Touring Waxing

Post by Ullrsson » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:46 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:32 am
Using grip wax as a base for Nordic Touring does "stop" working when the grip wax works effectively as a kick wax. For example, when the temperatures are cold enough for Polar to work as a kick wax- then I need to scrape much of it off.
I have started using this technique and it works. Last season, not knowing what I was getting into, I took my skis to a shop and had them glide waxed and re-edged. Needless to say they didn't hold grip wax in the pocket very long at all.
After reading this guide I bought some polar and when I tried to explain to the clerk at the shop, he seemed to think I'd just stumbled onto some internet mumbo-jumbo.
Anyway I'm curious about how a "hard wax" like polar grips at colder temperatures. Wouldn't it just become harder and therefore less grippy? Obviously I don't have to know why it works, just that it works, but curiosity and all that.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:11 pm

Ullrsson wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:46 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:32 am
Using grip wax as a base for Nordic Touring does "stop" working when the grip wax works effectively as a kick wax. For example, when the temperatures are cold enough for Polar to work as a kick wax- then I need to scrape much of it off.
I have started using this technique and it works. Last season, not knowing what I was getting into, I took my skis to a shop and had them glide waxed and re-edged. Needless to say they didn't hold grip wax in the pocket very long at all.
After reading this guide I bought some polar and when I tried to explain to the clerk at the shop, he seemed to think I'd just stumbled onto some internet mumbo-jumbo.
Anyway I'm curious about how a "hard wax" like polar grips at colder temperatures. Wouldn't it just become harder and therefore less grippy? Obviously I don't have to know why it works, just that it works, but curiosity and all that.
Polar grips at cold Polar temps. It’s a grip wax that works well as a binder and a glide wax in temps above its intended use. But get into polar range as stated on the can and it kicks! Glide goes down, of course, especially if the whole ski is waxed with it. Something to think about.

Not conjecture, btw, personal experience.

It’s popular for us in the 48 because we don’t get long stretches of those low Swix Polar temperatures. I might get 4-6 days a winter if I’m lucky.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:11 pm

Inspired by Al I’m going to try waxing single cambered skis for some of my tours this season. I’m going to use a pair of Hagan Ride 75’s. Where I ski in the North Shore Mountains we are often on the cusp of 0 C. The local cross country area Hollyburn’s wax recommendation of the day is very often blue klister. So I’m wondering how badly klister on single camber skis will slow down glide. I recognize it will probably wear off faster due to the lack of a wax pocket.

Ullrsson
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Post by Ullrsson » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:11 pm
It’s popular for us in the 48 because we don’t get long stretches of those low Swix Polar temperatures. I might get 4-6 days a winter if I’m lucky.
I've had good luck with it so far. We just dipped back down into polar temps again today and sometimes it's between -10 & -20 °F for weeks at a time. I'm assuming the solution to this is just to give it a good scrape and top the glide zones with F4 or something similar?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:34 pm

When it is cold enough for Polar to work as a kick wax-

I scrape and polish with a soft brush-

I don't apply glide wax- ever.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:23 am

Nick BC wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:11 pm
Inspired by Al I’m going to try waxing single cambered skis for some of my tours this season. I’m going to use a pair of Hagan Ride 75’s. Where I ski in the North Shore Mountains we are often on the cusp of 0 C. The local cross country area Hollyburn’s wax recommendation of the day is very often blue klister. So I’m wondering how badly klister on single camber skis will slow down glide. I recognize it will probably wear off faster due to the lack of a wax pocket.
If the trail is hard and consolidated things could be interesting on a single camber ski. I know I would be interested to hear how that works. However if the snow is just transformed, but has some give to it, I think klister might be the ticket.
I would definitely start by using a softer kick wax, before I switched to klister. I would definitely also start with a small klister wax pocket on a single camber ski.
I carry klister in a zip lock sandwich bag. The bag has about two finger widths of baby powder in it to absorb any escaping stickiness. I also carry my klister spreading tool in that bag. I get a thinner klister layer with the tool compared to m
y thumb. The bad part about a small klister pocket is the possibility of needing to make it bigger. So when I started on the trail I would keep the klister baggy inside my jacket. As soon as I became confident in my grip, that klister is going in my pack!
Good luck, post your results. I’m not opposed to using klister on my FT Xplore, however I will try other options first

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:37 am

The snow conditions were a mess thsi morning-
We had a major ice storm yesterday, mixed with snow, and some rain- followed by a temperature plunge and some fresh snow on top-

this morning:
-10C
bit of cold soft snow on top of breakable crust-
under the crust, a mix of granular ice and refrozen abrasive snow-
all on top of frozen consolidated base

ski prep:
Swix Polar base
single layer of Swix Green from the heel to the snakebite

Sublime grip and glide- on the flats, up the hills, and flew down the hills

Excellent wax retention despite very icy abrasive snow-
~10kms no need for mid-tur waxing

208cm Asnes Amundsen
80kg skier + light pack→ moi!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:40 pm

Ullrsson wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:46 pm
I know- there is something counter-intuitive about grip wax isn't there?

Nordic magic man! It grips and it glides!!!

The colder the snow- the harder the grip wax needed.

I always start as hard/cold as I can get away with.

Though the heart of my winter, I am amazed how many days I don't even need a kick wax- the Polar base alone often gives me superb grip and glide for BC touring.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:47 pm

The snow/ice has been incredibly abrasive so far this season-

the wax retention is significantly better with my sintered bases vs extruded.

Krakus
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard, Fischer BCX675

Post by Krakus » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:22 am

Nick BC wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:11 pm
So I’m wondering how badly klister on single camber skis will slow down glide. I recognize it will probably wear off faster due to the lack of a wax pocket.
I haven't used Blue, but have some experience with softer klisters on single camber (Unversal, Silver, Toko Yellow). They are quite acceptable as for glide, if properly chosen for conditions. Typically wear wasn't much faster.