LilCliffy's Nordic Backcountry Touring Waxing

The ultimate telemark knowledge base and encyclopedia. All you need to know about free-heel skiing. History, technical terms, glossary, how-to's and tips. Just the facts, no opinions. Your #1 place to start for everything tele.
lilcliffy
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: LilCliffy's Nordic Backcountry Touring Waxing

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:15 am

Grip waxing the entire base does work on the groomed track- though it is certainly not as high performance as a pefectly kick-waxed ski (i.e. kick wax only in the kick zone of a double-cambred ski) with perfectly glide-waxed glide zones.

HOWEVER- I personally do not spend enough time at the groomed track to be bothered with constantly prepping the bases of my Classic track skis. ALSO- my local groomed track is at lower elevation than my backcountry skiing and the temperature and snow conditions are more variable from day-to-day. So for me- I have VERY happily abandoned performance waxing on my track skis- I am grip waxing the entire base.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

exlibris
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by exlibris » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Lilcliffy, and others: thanks for sharing your experience -- especially for a newcomer like myself!

I'm prepping for my first XCD trip in Utah's Bear River Range this December and just received my Falketind 62s + Rottefella NNN. Our initial approach to the backcountry yurt will have us cover roughly 6.5km with 650m of elevation gain; once settled, we'll be touring for turns. While we can't be sure of the conditions (though there's a decent chance of fresh, relatively dry snow), the temps should be around -5C.

Based on LC's suggestion of ironing in polar wax to the bases, I wanted to get some thoughts/recommendations for our particular trip as this will be my first foray into waxing skis (XC or otherwise). Note that I also have a couple of sets of X-Skins on hand -- 45mm Mohair and 58mm Nylon. (As an aside, I am somewhat confused about using the skins out on the trail. If I'm to follow Åsnes's directions and attach the skins to wax-free skis, what's the protocol if the skis are already waxed?)

Cheers!

lilcliffy
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:51 am

Hi exlibris-

I have been slapping skins on top of hard grip wax for a number of seasons now- no issues with it damaging the skin adhesive.

By "hard" grip wax I mean up to Swix Blue (I am not unfamiliar with what the equivalent grip wax would be in other product lines). I have not put a skin on anything softer than Swix Blue for fear of it gumming up the adhesive.

I know that Asnes does not recommend this- I can understand that recommendation from the point of view of the manufacturer.

BTW- the recommendation I got from Fischer was not to worry about it...On the other hand the adhesive on the Easy-Skins that I have is much weaker than the Asnes Skin-Lock/X-Skin- I need to replace the adhesive on a couple of my Easy-Skins and they have a LOT less use than my Skin-Locks...

Great to hear about your planned BC-XCD tours!! Please post to the general forum- or the trip forum- I am sure many would like to hear about your experiences!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.